Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Brisbane

Schools in Brisbane

Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Brisbane

I would like my children, ages 11 and 8 to learn Mandarin when we move to Brisbane. Could anyone please tell me if there are any such schools that teaches Mandarin, preferably Christian schools in or around Brisbane, even as far south as the Gold Coast area.

Also what are the better suburbs to live in with children? Thanks for any feedback.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Brisbane

Originally Posted by THYE.A.
I would like my children, ages 11 and 8 to learn Mandarin when we move to Brisbane. Could anyone please tell me if there are any such schools that teaches Mandarin, preferably Christian schools in or around Brisbane, even as far south as the Gold Coast area.

Also what are the better suburbs to live in with children? Thanks for any feedback.
Doubt if you'll find many mainstream schools that teaches Mandarin as part of the curriculum. Most parents who want their kids to learn a special language send them to classes on Saturday mornings. This is quite common and a lot of languages are supported (here in Sydney, anyway).

Checkout Holy Spirit School http://www.bne.catholic.edu.au/pub/p...p?schoolid=203 in Brisbane. Apparantly they do Mandarin classes

Last edited by NickyC; Sep 7th 2005 at 2:32 am.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:27 am
ABCDiamond

We have Indonesian around here, but not heard of one that does Mandarin yet.

I'll try to keep my ear to the ground though, we do have a couple of Chinese Churches in the area, so who knows

Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THYE.A.

Lots of schools offer Japanese, French and German lessons, but few do Chinese/Mandarin.

You may find some information from some of the links in Queensland Studies Authority site under LOTE (language other than English).

Or [http://www.learningplace.com.au/defa...d=209]Learning Place[/URL] may also be helpful.

Or you can check the AISQ site and click on the schools individually and find out if they offer Chinese as part of their LOTE curriculum.

A couple of boys' schools that offer Chinese/Mandarin classes are:
Anglican Church Grammar School

Brisbane Grammar School

I haven't yet searched through all the schools but am sure there are co-ed or girls schools that offer Chinese classes.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL