Reload this Page >

schools in adelaide

Wikiposts

schools in adelaide

Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default schools in adelaide

Hello its not wombat its her friend nikki, i am new to this and havent registered yet ! we're hoping to move to adelaide in the next 12 month how do i choose a good school for our 2 children age 9 and 5. how do i choose a very nice area to live ? my husbands a bricky and a part time fireman and we are in the process of applying for a govenment sponsered skilled visa.
i would be very grateful for any info

thanks

nikki
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:58 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Try using the Adelaide Brits Website .

Or this List Of Schools.

Good Luck,

Steve.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for those links,

nikki
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide schools and suburbs

Hi!
Adelaide, you'll find, is a relaxed city compared to the two major metropolises of Australia, Melbourne and Sydney. It can get pretty hot in the summer months, so the Eastern suburbs are favoured by a lot of folk because it backs onto the Hills overlooking the city and you get what we call "gully" winds. . . cool breezes that blow down from the top of the Hills (2000 / 3000 feet high) and get trapped in the numerous valleys and gullies coming down from the Hills. These can be quite refreshing if you've had a day over the 100 degree mark (37.7 degrees Celsius). The temps can drop by up to 20 degrees Fahrenheit (10 / 12 degrees Celsius)
Personally, I'd sooner live up in the Adelaide Hills themselves, but it's a personal choice. Since March 2000, there has been a new Freeway (M 1) from the eastern suburbs right up into the Hiils suburbs and there are no traffic lights . . . . just 60 mph (100km/h) all the way. I find the nights in summer are cooler by about 6 or 8 degrees F (4 degrees C), which can make the difference between wanting to sit outside and have a cols beer on your verandah whie watching the sun go down, or keep huddled next to the air conditioner. Any suburb in the Adelaide Hills is "nice" . . . . relaxed, semi-rural, and easy to get around in. There is lots of hiily countryside and scenery to match with windey lanes and green fields ("paddocks" here)
The northern suburbs of Adelaide tend to have the lower socio-economic groups living there,with lots of Council Housing ("Housing Trust" homes), while the southern suburbs have nearly all private housing and good shopping centres, people seem to have a little more money to spend on their housing and lifestyle.
Schools .. . the South Australian State school system caters for all kids from 5 to 18, the High Schools starting around 13 yrs of age. There are a lot of "private" schools in Adelaide too that educate as much as 30% of the children here. These are mainly church based schools, being Anglican, Catholic, Lutheran and Independent Christian Parent-Controlled Schools. The standard and expectation of the kids in behaviour and ability ishigh.
Hope this answers some of your questions. Get in touch if you need more info.
Bob and Ginnie