Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

criminal record question

criminal record question

Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

jonny_2good is an unknown quantity at this point
Default criminal record question

Hello chaps, very informative to a newbie like myself this site.

I am in the process of migrating to sydney with my girlfriend & little brother.

I think he may run into problems and I don't want him to waste a load of money on a visa agent trying to get a visa when he may be refused.

He has 3 things on a recent police check which came up when he applied to work for the local council in a sports centre.

1) Drink driving back in 1998 which he only got 5 points for as he proved he wasn't actually driving.

2) 1997, criminal damage to an already broken window- caution!

3) Fraudulent claim for benefit (wads of money tied up in an account he couldn't access when he claimed dole a year or two ago) silly bugger! Taken to court and fined recently.

I have a dr10 on my licence and a few things from about 8 years ago and was told all would be fine as it's more to do with people crimes or prison time so i have gone ahead. Should he?
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:17 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: criminal record question

Originally posted by jonny_2good
Hello chaps, very informative to a newbie like myself this site.

I am in the process of migrating to sydney with my girlfriend & little brother.

I think he may run into problems and I don't want him to waste a load of money on a visa agent trying to get a visa when he may be refused.

He has 3 things on a recent police check which came up when he applied to work for the local council in a sports centre.

1) Drink driving back in 1998 which he only got 5 points for as he proved he wasn't actually driving.

2) 1997, criminal damage to an already broken window- caution!

3) Fraudulent claim for benefit (wads of money tied up in an account he couldn't access when he claimed dole a year or two ago) silly bugger! Taken to court and fined recently.

I have a dr10 on my licence and a few things from about 8 years ago and was told all would be fine as it's more to do with people crimes or prison time so i have gone ahead. Should he?

Hi & welcome!

Have you seen this? http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/family/character.htm

There are people who get in with 'worse' convictions than your brothers, but it maybe wise to consult with an agent first. Do a search on this forum, you'll see the same 3 or 4 names crop up a lot.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:27 pm
WBB

Default Re: criminal record question

Originally posted by mlbonner
Hi & welcome!

Have you seen this? http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/family/character.htm

There are people who get in with 'worse' convictions than your brothers, but it maybe wise to consult with an agent first. Do a search on this forum, you'll see the same 3 or 4 names crop up a lot.
i was a bit of a tearaway as a teen and had some convictions for various things, i got my visa no agent required.

good luck.

Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

jonny_2good is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sounds good

well thanks for the reply, if a few more reply and it seems that others have got in with worse I'll advise him to apply.

These agents are mostly a rip off- charge all up front and then charge a fortune!

any cheap agents that are worth a look?

what is the average fee? a mate told me it should be about £900 for the agent, is this about right as all the others Ive seen are a lot more.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sounds good

Originally posted by jonny_2good
well thanks for the reply, if a few more reply and it seems that others have got in with worse I'll advise him to apply.

These agents are mostly a rip off- charge all up front and then charge a fortune!

any cheap agents that are worth a look?

what is the average fee? a mate told me it should be about £900 for the agent, is this about right as all the others Ive seen are a lot more.
You don't have to use an agent, but if you do make sure they are registered, there are cowboys out there.

Allan Collett posts on this forum and has a good reputation.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sounds good

-- any cheap agents that are worth a look?

We used Workpermit.com, they will do a preliminary assessment and providing they decide you have a good case will only charge you if your application succeeds.

Might be worth speaking to them.