Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

schooling northern suburbs of perth.

schooling northern suburbs of perth.

Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:33 am
Just Joined

NatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really nice
Default schooling northern suburbs of perth.

Hi, i know you may of read hundreds of threads about this but i would really value peoples opinions. We are moving to Perth july 2010 and have 4 children who will be 11,9,nearly 6 and 5 in the oct. We are looking to live around Craigie, Padbury, Kinsley, Woodvale, Edgewater, Joondalup and any other areas people suggest to live, will be welcomed.I'm from Leicester (Natalie) and my oh (Dominic) is from Coleraine Co Derry. We would appreciate any help with our move to Perth.
Many thanks Natalie
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: schooling northern suburbs of perth.

Hi,

I'm presuming that your big focus will be schools, in which case Woodvale, Duncraig and Carine are the better thought of near the areas that you mentioned. Quite a few people use private schools here as a lot aren't as expensive as the UK (especially Catholic), which gives you the freedom to live in slightly cheaper suburbs with not as good schools.
www.det.wa.gov.au is the schools website, you can search individual schools for info on them and also access the tables displaying the year 12 exam results.

The schools around Craigie and Padbury aren't well thought of and there is a waste water treatment plant in Craigie (just so you know), my sister lives in Padbury the properties seem a bit scruffier than where we live in Carine but I've driven through at night a lot and it seems nice and quiet.

I have family that live in Kingsley and Greenwood and they seem lovely suburbs while still cheapish, probably because they're the other side of the freeway. Their 15 year old goes to Greenwood High and is doing exceptionally well both academically and sporting.

The schools operate on a catchment basis and for the better schools you will most likely need to live within the catchment area to get a place.

Of course schooling is very subjective and some people don't do well in the so called better schools while some perform brilliantly at the not so good schools.

Hope this helps

Jillian
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:25 am
Just Joined

NatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really niceNatandDom is just really nice

Thanks Jillian for the info, i just want the children to be happy so maybe i'm looking too much into the schools and should look at areas too. My 10 year old is not happy about moving, the other 3 are ok. I will look at areas you have suggested as they are new to me. We are catholic and the children go to a catholic school as the local primary is not good but thats not an issue in moving, i just want them to be able to settle and make friends easy.
Natalie
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough

I understand your concerns, my girls are 9 and 8 and I still worry that they're happy after taking them away from their friends.
I was aware of the areas with regards to affordability, as the better the school the more expensive the area (generally) so we chose the best school that we could afford to live near.
My husband didn't want them to go private because of the worry about how quickly he would find work and didn't want the added pressure of finding school fees if money was short.

Good luck

Jillian