Schooling

Old May 15th 2007, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

magic8ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling

Hi There,

Schooling in Aus is very confusing, as you start school at different times etc.

We will be moving out in Jan 08, and my daughter will be 17 in Feb 08.
She will have completed her GCSE's in the UK and completed 1 term of A-Levels.

Now my question is where would she go to school in OZ?

Also how would I find out what grades would be needed to get into said school?

Thanks in advance. i have looked everywhere and connot find any info on this.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling

Originally Posted by magic8ball
Hi There,

Schooling in Aus is very confusing, as you start school at different times etc.

We will be moving out in Jan 08, and my daughter will be 17 in Feb 08.
She will have completed her GCSE's in the UK and completed 1 term of A-Levels.

Now my question is where would she go to school in OZ?

Also how would I find out what grades would be needed to get into said school?

Thanks in advance. i have looked everywhere and connot find any info on this.

It could be a different answer depending on which state you are going to.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Queensland
Old May 15th 2007, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a very limited knowledge of the schools in Queensland, and also about what options there are for a 17 year old but here's a few that spring to mind.

She could enrol at Secondary school and join in with where they are. Kids leave school here at 17/18 so she'd probably fit into year 12. Here's a website on QLD education http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/...html#secondary

She could enrol at TAFE to do a course, or even to get her school certificate.

Maybe you could see if you can find her a school that does the International Baccalaureate. Here's some throughout Australia http://www.ibo.org/school/search/index.cfm?nextStart=2

I can't think of any more except that she gets a job. It really depends what she wants to do when she's finished school I suppose, have a chat with her and then it may be easier to find what suits her best.
Old May 15th 2007, 9:33 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Queensland
Where about's in Queensland?
Old May 15th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Wendy,

Thanks for your reply.

She wants to go to University, would she be able to do that straight away, or would she need to complete the year 12 over there, before she could go?

Also if anyone knows of the body that would compare the GCSE equivelent to Aus to see what courses she would be able to take.

Thanks
Old May 15th 2007, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy,

Thanks for your reply.

She wants to go to University, would she be able to do that straight away, or would she need to complete the year 12 over there, before she could go?

Also if anyone knows of the body that would compare the GCSE equivelent to Aus to see what courses she would be able to take.

Thanks

I'm not really sure, hopefully someone will come along who does though.

Here's the QLD TAFE government website, it may have some answers on there. http://www.tafe.qld.gov.au/
Old May 15th 2007, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Where about's in Queensland?
Gold Coast, around Robina or Coomera areas.
Old May 15th 2007, 9:42 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Gold Coast, around Robina or Coomera areas.
I'm sure she will be able to go straight to university, especially if she has got good grades.
Bond Uni. may be your best choice.

Good Luck.

P.S. If you need any help with info on north end of gold coast let me know and I'll try and help.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I'm sure she will be able to go straight to university, especially if she has got good grades.
I wouldn't have thought so - particularly as GCSEs is the equivalent to Australian Year 10. You certainly couldn't get into a uni in NSW only having done GSCEs - you need to have completed 'A' Levels AND got good results.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC
I wouldn't have thought so - particularly as GCSEs is the equivalent to Australian Year 10. You certainly couldn't get into a uni in NSW only having done GSCEs - you need to have completed 'A' Levels AND got good results.
So what is the equivelent of A-Levels over there.

Also when we get there for her age she should be in year 12, but that means she misses year 11.

This is so confusing
Old May 15th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

So what is the equivelent of A-Levels over there.

Also when we get there for her age she should be in year 12, but that means she misses year 11.

This is so confusing
Different states call them different names - but they all have end-of-Year 12 exams (A-level equivalent) which is what Uni entrance is based on.

Your daughter could feasibly just go into Year 12 and then take the QLD exams at the end of the year. I'd imagine that would need quite a bit of work on her part to squeeze a two-year course into one year. I believe it can be done - though it probably depends on the school and how keen she is. Or alternatively she could go into Year 11 and do the whole 2-year course.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

OK, how do the ages work, if an Oz student was 17 in Feb 08 what school year would they go into? Would it be year 11 or 12 or time for University?
Old May 15th 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

OK, how do the ages work, if an Oz student was 17 in Feb 08 what school year would they go into? Would it be year 11 or 12 or time for University?
She would go into year 12, have sent you a pm.