Reload this Page >

School zones: Help needed

School zones: Help needed

Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

man777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School zones: Help needed

HI Guys,

Visa thought so planning for a move in early January. Elde son will join Primary 5 but just spoke to Neutral Bay public school and they say no places are available for 2011 session. Just wondering, as we will arrive in Sydney in Janaury when schools are closed that if we go for rent in area like Killara is it possible that school in that catchment area may say no places available??? Just worried that if we take property for rent when schools are closed and not get a place for my son in a school we deicide to enrol him in. Sny such experience or information would be more than welcome..
Cheers
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: School zones: Help needed

Originally Posted by man777
HI Guys,

Visa thought so planning for a move in early January. Elde son will join Primary 5 but just spoke to Neutral Bay public school and they say no places are available for 2011 session. Just wondering, as we will arrive in Sydney in Janaury when schools are closed that if we go for rent in area like Killara is it possible that school in that catchment area may say no places available??? Just worried that if we take property for rent when schools are closed and not get a place for my son in a school we deicide to enrol him in. Sny such experience or information would be more than welcome..
Cheers
I am pretty sure that they have to take you in to public schools if you live in catchment and that the government fund the appropriate number of teachers for the intake that the school has. Other than that all I can say is that one of my friends (currently on Maternity) works at a school in Killara and says it's really good! :-)
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: School zones: Help needed

I also feel that a State school cannot refuse you if you live in the area.

It is something that I have always thought, and said, is the case. I hope I am not wrong

NSW
Each New South Wales public school has a defined local enrolment area.

This means that your child is designated to a particular school based on the permanent residential address of their primary caregiver.

Every public school reserves enough places within their school for students in their local enrolment area.
To find out the name and location of your local public school, call 131 536 or contact your nearest Department of Education and Training regional office.