Reload this Page >

School waiting lists

School waiting lists

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

helgaw1965 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School waiting lists

Hi

We hope to be moving to Secret Harbour WA in November 08. I've been checking out private schools in the areas of Mandurah and Rockingham and other places for my 6 year old to start in Feb 09. There seems to be waiting lists for all of the schools!

Does anyone know how long the average waiting list is, and how difficult is it to get your child in. Also, does anyone know good government schools in these areas?

I'm already starting to get a bit stressed with the school situation, and it's only March yet!

Cheers
Helga
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Re: School waiting lists

Helga - I had the exact same concern and through a little research it became clear to me that the government primary schools are rather good. Especially if you live in a "good" area.....and that not to worry.
most of the private schools are fully booked - my 5 year old was told to waitlist for secondary school !!!!

Here is a post I posted on a different immigration bb, but the answers may help:
http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=8658&hl=

Cheers!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget that a lot of people will put their kids names on a number of waiting lists, so if you like the schools it's probably worth putting your daughter's name down. Lots of other people will be covering all bases as well so I wouldn't get too stressed about the waiting lists.

I applied for a Y3 place to start this year for my younger son back in October and when it came to the start of term there was still no space. I got a phone call on day 3 of term saying he could start the following Monday. He does have 2 siblings at the school which would have bumped him up the list but the Registrar told me that it's not uncommon for them to come back from the Christmas/Summer holiday to find families have relocated in the holidays.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:08 am
Just Joined

helgaw1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Helga - I had the exact same concern and through a little research it became clear to me that the government primary schools are rather good. Especially if you live in a "good" area.....and that not to worry.
most of the private schools are fully booked - my 5 year old was told to waitlist for secondary school !!!!

Here is a post I posted on a different immigration bb, but the answers may help:
http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=8658&hl=

Cheers!
Thanks for your advice and for the attachment, which was helpful. My eldest son goes to a private school in England, so I automatically wanted him to go private again in Australia. Although, now I'd probably prefer him to go to one of the state schools in Secret Harbour. SH looks like a really nice community, with a good community spirit. My husband will be working there so it probably makes sense that my boys go to either one of the local schools. Also, they'll be more chance that most of his classmates will be living in SH so he would have friends locally.

I contacted both of the SH primary schools and have looked at their websites. The schools seem really nice happy places and they said that my eldest son will have a place when we arrive depending on which side of Secret Harbour we will be living. So I've started to calm down a bit now!

It's difficult not to worry though because you just want your little ones to be happy.

Cheers!
Helga