school terms?

Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future
Smile school terms?

just asking about school terms, my daughter will be doing gcse in july therefor finishing school in england at 16.

she will be 17 in september after she has taken her gcse's (she is one of the oldest in the year)

we are hoping to go to oz in the few moths following.

am i right in thinking that in oz the school term starts in jan and by my thinking she could join year 12 in jan at the start of the last year??????

we were hoping this was true as i dont want to interfere with her gcse's but think going in to year 12 will help her make friends.

also when english school finishes do australians have one more year on top of this or 2 as i know they start later

cant get my head round this one

thankyou

c xx
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school terms?

Where are you headed, each state's dates are slightly different.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:48 am
Just Joined

samrad is an unknown quantity at this point

School terms in Aus: (sorry formatting is a bit poor, the first date is the term dates, the second date is the holidays)

Australian Capital Territory
TERM DATES HOLIDAYS
1st Term 2 February - 13 April 14 April - 29 April
2nd Term 30 April - 6 July 7 July - 22 July
3rd Term 23 July - 28 September 29 September - 14 October
4th Term 15 October - 21 December 22 December -

New South Wales
TERM DATES HOLIDAYS
1st Term 29 January - 5 April 6 April - 22 April
2nd Term 23 April - 29 June 30 June - 15 July
3rd Term 16 July - 28 September 29 September - 14 October
4th Term 15 October - 21 December 22 December -

Northern Territory
TERM DATES HOLIDAYS
1st Term 29 January - 5 April 6 April - 15 April
2nd Term 16 April - 22 June 23 June - 22 July
3rd Term 23 July - 28 September 29 September - 7 October
4th Term 8 October - 14 December 15 December -

Queensland
TERM DATES HOLIDAYS
1st Term 29 January - 5 April 6 April - 16 April
2nd Term 17 April - 22 June 23 June - 9 July
3rd Term 10 July - 21 September 22 September - 7 October
4th Term 8 October - 14 December 15 December -

South Australia
TERM DATES HOLIDAYS
1st Term 29 January – 13 April 14 April - 29 April
2nd Term 30 April - 6 July 7 July - 22 July
3rd Term 23 July - 28 September 29 September - 14 October
4th Term 15 October - 14 December 15 December -

Tasmania
TERM DATES HOLIDAYS
1st Term 15 February - 1 June 2 June - 17 June
(Easter break: 6 April - 13 April)
2nd Term 18 June - 7 September 8 September - 23 September
3rd Term 24 September - 20 December 21 December -

Victoria
TERM DATES HOLIDAYS
1st Term 31 January - 30 March 31 March - 15 April
2nd Term 16 April - 29 June 30 June - 15 July
3rd Term 16 July - 21 September 22 September - 7 October
4th Term 8 October - 21 December 22 December -

Western Australia
TERM DATES HOLIDAYS
1st Term 31 January - 4 April 5 April - 22 April
2nd Term 23 April - 6 July 7 July - 23 July
3rd Term 24 July - 28 September 29 September - 15 October
4th Term 16 October - 13 December 14 December -
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Hi
we are heading to Queensland, thankyou for the information i recon by this if she finishes in july we will have a few months window in which to get over to queensland before the school term starts.

do you know which year she will go in to and how much longer she has to do before she goes to uni

just trying to work it out with the respects of missing her a levels ie. will she do 2 years following gcse then go to uni and will this be year 11 and 12 as they start after kids in the UK

thanks guys

c xx
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

This is a tricky one, as the HSC starts in year 11 and lasts 2 years. I know, for example, that the school my youngest son goes to will not admit students into year 12, although I don't know about other schools, and we are in NSW.
Maybe you should contact a couple of schools in Queensland regarding this to get some specific advice. HTH.

Molly x
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Thanks Mollmoo

I take it the HSC will be the equivalent to a levels in Uk i am going to contact the school as you say as she will be 17 in sep (one of the oldest) but if it falls shes one of the youngest it may be that she will fall in to year 12 then wont be able to go to uni as i know you have to compleat year 12

c xx
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
Hi
we are heading to Queensland, thankyou for the information i recon by this if she finishes in july we will have a few months window in which to get over to queensland before the school term starts.

do you know which year she will go in to and how much longer she has to do before she goes to uni

just trying to work it out with the respects of missing her a levels ie. will she do 2 years following gcse then go to uni and will this be year 11 and 12 as they start after kids in the UK

thanks guys

c xx
Hi,
Welcome and I know just where you are coming from! We are in Melbourne and have been here just 2 years actually had our citizen interviews today!! aaH, actually piece of cake. Any way when we came our eldest was 18 and had just got his A levels so is now at uni over here doing Marine Biology at JCU in Townsville and loving every minute!!) but our second son was like your daughter and had just completed year 11 and his gcse's, which he did really well at. In Victoria we took advice from the school, yes he could have done just year 12 but he was young for his age and they advised that he consider doing 11 and 12 and splitting his VCE (Victoria) as he would get better grades and this would improve his ENTER score for uni. So he did, he took 2 year 12 subjects last year leaving him only 4 this year, got really good grades last year and is just about to finish year 12 now. This proved to be excellent advise, he has had time to settle, made excellent friends from day 1 and has been relaxed and happy all the way through. Out of our three boys, he was the one who had the most concerns about coming , loved the UK, great friends there but has never looked back, took his citizen inteview today and although he still has great frineds in the UK you wouldn't drag him back with a barge pole!!! Don't rush year 12 there is a lot to settle to when you emigrate, and the pressure may just be too much, it goes so fast, and you will need to make sure the school is going to be supportive enough, its not like the UK. Ours do go to a private school here, would NEVER have considered it in the UK but its so normal here, but don't be fooled it can be expensive, do some searches, Private schools here though aren't snobby, they're just part of the culture, I think 30-40% of kids here go private, its really not like the UK. If you go with the state system there are really good schools but they do vary and it depends on where you live so get here first and then decide, we hoped ours would go state, but in the end decided we wanted them to go to the better school so are coughing up big time for a few years!!!! Have Never once regreted the decision apart from the cost!! Our 16 year old (Then) 18 now, swore blind he wasn't going to any snob school till he arrived here, now wouldn't swop it or his pals for the world!! (Even with the strippy blazer!!!)

Hope this helps, my advise would be don't rush, moving here is huge and a few months extra to get to uni really won't matter, she'll have plenty of girls in her year the same age and many older, UK is definetly a year ahead!

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mollymoo
This is a tricky one, as the HSC starts in year 11 and lasts 2 years. I know, for example, that the school my youngest son goes to will not admit students into year 12, although I don't know about other schools, and we are in NSW.
Maybe you should contact a couple of schools in Queensland regarding this to get some specific advice. HTH.

Molly x
Molly,
Sorry for interrupting the thread but as you are in NSW you may be able to help. My daughter turned 9 at the beginning of September and we are thinking of coming over July ish (pending the visa) next year so basically she'll be a month off being 10, what school year will she be in? I've looked on the NSW website re school education and it is not clear at all.

thanks
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Are those term dates for 2008, if not will they be the same for next year?
Mandy
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Bit hard to do year 12 without year 11 they really do follow on. Trying to just do grade 12 would be entering half way through the course, hard I would imagine.

A good grade 12 pass is essential here (OK IMO but thats having had one leave grade 12 and enter the further study/job market).

Very competitive once they get past kiddy wages - without grade 12 employers dont want to know. Son ended up with electrical apprenticship, very competitive, hundreds of applicants for a few jobs, excellent grade 12 results were among one of the many requirements to even get an interview.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickys
Molly,
Sorry for interrupting the thread but as you are in NSW you may be able to help. My daughter turned 9 at the beginning of September and we are thinking of coming over July ish (pending the visa) next year so basically she'll be a month off being 10, what school year will she be in? I've looked on the NSW website re school education and it is not clear at all.

thanks
The NSW schools site says 'Children may enter Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year in NSW government schools if they turn five on or before 31 July in that year'.

If your daughter's birthday is September she would have missed the July 31 cutoff to start school the year that she turned 5 so she would have started kindergarten the following year, when she was nearly 5 and a half.

This means she will go into Year 4 when she arrives next year.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
The NSW schools site says 'Children may enter Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year in NSW government schools if they turn five on or before 31 July in that year'.

If your daughter's birthday is September she would have missed the July 31 cutoff to start school the year that she turned 5 so she would have started kindergarten the following year, when she was nearly 5 and a half.

This means she will go into Year 4 when she arrives next year.
Thank you for that it's a great big help