Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

school question,sorry another one!!

school question,sorry another one!!

Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Moonfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school question,sorry another one!!

Narrowing down where we feel would be the best place for us to move to, at long last. but still stressing out about schools for the kids. like the sound of Alkimos, but also there is a possibility of a place at Peter Moyes.
Does anyone have/know any children who go to this school?
Sorry, , I just want to make my mind up, and being here , and not being able to look round makes it so hard.
Thank you
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school question,sorry another one!!

Originally Posted by Moonfish
Narrowing down where we feel would be the best place for us to move to, at long last. but still stressing out about schools for the kids. like the sound of Alkimos, but also there is a possibility of a place at Peter Moyes.
Does anyone have/know any children who go to this school?
Sorry, , I just want to make my mind up, and being here , and not being able to look round makes it so hard.
Thank you
A number of students from the Primary School I work in went to Peter Moyes last year and are very happy with the school. I haven't looked how they perform on an academic level but I think I would always choose Anglican over Baptist.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
A number of students from the Primary School I work in went to Peter Moyes last year and are very happy with the school. I haven't looked how they perform on an academic level but I think I would always choose Anglican over Baptist.

Thank you. i looked on her for past references to P.M, not everyone had been in favour of it, but the posts were dated 2008 i think, and schools can change a lot in that amount of time. I lik the look of it on the website,so wil prob put their names down, tho at the moment,only place for 1 of them , but i think that will be the case in alot of schools. shes only in yr 2, so not too worried, plenty of time there,
thanks once again!!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by What_a_life
Thank you. i looked on her for past references to P.M, not everyone had been in favour of it, but the posts were dated 2008 i think, and schools can change a lot in that amount of time. I lik the look of it on the website,so wil prob put their names down, tho at the moment,only place for 1 of them , but i think that will be the case in alot of schools. shes only in yr 2, so not too worried, plenty of time there,
thanks once again!!
Hi

My kids went to Peter Moyes for a while, it seems ok and some people love it, but I found that for the cost there wasn't much benefit. The teachers didn't appeal to me as they didn't show much enthusiasm for their job (I only met a few though).

After a while I pulled my kids out as they started to really hate going to school, when I approached the teacher she just said they have to deal with it and offered no solutions for me.

Our kids now go to a great public school Beaumaris Primary School, evidently they have plenty of people change from Peter Moyes over to them. My Kids now come home laughing after school and look forward to going (most of the time anyway )

One of the teachers there just received an award of some kind, first time that a public school teacher has won it. They have had more outings and visits from guests in one term than they had in 2 terms at Peter Moyes.

In saying all of that, I'm sure there are some good and bad stories for each school so it may be trial and error. But my opinion is that Peter Moyes isn't worth the money and no better than a good public school!

Hope that helps, Good luck!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:38 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Hi

My kids went to Peter Moyes for a while, it seems ok and some people love it, but I found that for the cost there wasn't much benefit. The teachers didn't appeal to me as they didn't show much enthusiasm for their job (I only met a few though).

After a while I pulled my kids out as they started to really hate going to school, when I approached the teacher she just said they have to deal with it and offered no solutions for me.

Our kids now go to a great public school Beaumaris Primary School, evidently they have plenty of people change from Peter Moyes over to them. My Kids now come home laughing after school and look forward to going (most of the time anyway )

One of the teachers there just received an award of some kind, first time that a public school teacher has won it. They have had more outings and visits from guests in one term than they had in 2 terms at Peter Moyes.

In saying all of that, I'm sure there are some good and bad stories for each school so it may be trial and error. But my opinion is that Peter Moyes isn't worth the money and no better than a good public school!

Hope that helps, Good luck!
I agree for Primary School but when it comes to High School if you live in parts of the Northern Suburbs you don't have the best choice of State High Schools. If you live in catchment for Beaumaris then Ocean Reef SHS is your catchment High School and not everyone agrees this is a good public school.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

[Thank you for your replies. If we move to Butler, we would be only eligible for Clarkson High school. I have heard not so positive things about this school. Apologies if anyone sends their children there, I dont know it myself, only going on what people say.
I am not totally hung up on fantastic results. I just want a school that offers an environment which would allow my kids the best chance to learn in the classroom. Reports of kids running wild in the classroom while the teacher tries to teach is an absolute no no
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

[Thank you for your replies. If we move to Butler, we would be only eligible for Clarkson High school. I have heard not so positive things about this school. Apologies if anyone sends their children there, I dont know it myself, only going on what people say.
I am not totally hung up on fantastic results. I just want a school that offers an environment which would allow my kids the best chance to learn in the classroom. Reports of kids running wild in the classroom while the teacher tries to teach is an absolute no no
Totally agree with this, Peter Moyes is definately a better option for you if you can afford it
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree for Primary School but when it comes to High School if you live in parts of the Northern Suburbs you don't have the best choice of State High Schools. If you live in catchment for Beaumaris then Ocean Reef SHS is your catchment High School and not everyone agrees this is a good public school.

Agreed! Not sure that private is needed for kindy / primary school, but you have to go to the private the whole way through to be guaranteed a high school spot in some cases to allow them to suck more money from you

Good public primary and then Private High school would be my choice
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Clarkson High doesn't have a great reputation but there has been a lot of time & effort put it to bringing the school back up again & from what I've heard it's improving. They also have the new technology college there which has had great reviews.

I know a couple of people who's children go there (not through choice but because of location) & have no complaints about it at all. One of the boys was moved there from Quinns Baptist & he is doing much better at Clarkson High.

I was a bit concerned about the fact that Clarkson High is our catchment school when we first moved here but am not too worried now as I think over the next few years we'll see it turn around.

My youngest 2 go to Merriwa Primary School & that doesn't have a very good reputation (which I've only found out since they started there) but personally I'm extremely impressed with the school & can't fault how my children are coming along there. The likes of Josh Brookes (xfactor for those of you who haven't heard of him) who is an ex pupil referring to the area on national television as 'the hood' & how rough it is really doesn't help give a positive imagine though.

There is a new high school being built & due to open in Butler in 2013.

Alison x
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Agreed! Not sure that private is needed for kindy / primary school, but you have to go to the private the whole way through to be guaranteed a high school spot in some cases to allow them to suck more money from you

Good public primary and then Private High school would be my choice
One thing I would consider with state against private schools is that state schools have to follow a curriculum & over the next few years this will be a country wide curriculum not just the WA one. Where as private schools don't need to follow one.

Alison x
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Its so interesting that you find a group of people who's children go to a certain school, and everyone has something different to say. I guess as with all aspects of life, what suits one child/family, wont suit another.
Have applied for Alkimos, Peter Moyes, and Quinns Baptist, (the primary school.) Son wont need to start A. or P.M til 2013, daughter not till 2015, as not planning on putting them in till YR7, on top of which there arent any places till then anyway (maybe one at A before then)
Only place for daughter at Quinns primary, not son. Honestly ,its doing my head in. I never realised how hard it would be to get into a school that you like, and can afford .
Good to know that some people are happy with Clarkson. I read a post a week or so back, about the lady whose son was at Yanchep High, it really sounded bad..... Think I will feel better when we get there n I can look for myself.
Thank you !!