Reload this Page >

School meals in WA schools

School meals in WA schools

Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:38 am
Just Joined

rraghavani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School meals in WA schools

Hi

So whilst researching for container quotes and other general migration prep, I've been looking at various schools around Perth for our two young children. Academic achievements aside, the schools seem to share similar menus of wraps, sandwiches and snack food. Those who already settled in WA, please help me understand why more nutritious meals with focus on protein as well as carbs is not on the menu with meagre offerings for veggies?
Or do children educated in British schools have it good with lunch food?
Or is the food culture vastly different that it also translates into school lunch differently?

R
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School meals in WA schools

The schools don't serve hot, sit down lunch. It's more a snack from the canteen. Our daughter normally takes a cut lunch (packed lunch) 3 days a week, then gets a hot dog or small serve of spag Bol the other two days. She always has snacks for recess (carrot sticks, yoghurt etc). We initially thought it was because of the extreme heat in Darwin, but it is exactly the same in Melbourne. Sandwiches, wraps, burgers, pies and hot dogs with nuggets and spag Bol seems to be the main items lol x
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rraghavani
Hi

So whilst researching for container quotes and other general migration prep, I've been looking at various schools around Perth for our two young children. Academic achievements aside, the schools seem to share similar menus of wraps, sandwiches and snack food. Those who already settled in WA, please help me understand why more nutritious meals with focus on protein as well as carbs is not on the menu with meagre offerings for veggies?
Or is the food culture vastly different that it also translates into school lunch differently?

R
I'm Australian - my kids get food from the school canteen once a term at the most as a treat. They most choose sushi or sweet chilli chicken burgers. I pack a healthy lunchbox for them every day, as do most parents that I know. Wraps and sandwiches can still contain vege's.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jillibee, I wondered if it was a funding issue for the schools as I strongly believe that good nutrition makes for alert, active and interested students. Will see how kids deal with it when we finally get out there! Thx x
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jillibee, I wondered if it was a funding issue for the schools as I strongly believe that good nutrition makes for alert, active and interested students. Will see how kids deal with it when we finally get out there! Thx x
Similar to what others have said, most Australian kids take their lunch to school. Making your child's lunch, instead of giving them money to buy whatever they feel like from the canteen, means you have complete control of their food intake. Except for the times they find someone to swap with
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed your kids are both under 5 years old so you'll have a bit of time up your sleeve to check out schools and lunches. Kids in WA don't start formal schooling until the year they turn 5 if their birthday is in the first half of the year or 6 if there birthday is after 30 June.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

It was a treat in Darwin too! The most she got were frozen pineapple smilies lol x
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Similar to what others have said, most Australian kids take their lunch to school. Making your child's lunch, instead of giving them money to buy whatever they feel like from the canteen, means you have complete control of their food intake. Except for the times they find someone to swap with
The nut nazi's make sure there are no swapsies at our school.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Hi

R
Most kids take a packed lunch, school canteens offer a choice of pies, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches etc. but are very expensive so we only use the service on special occasions. It would cost us $70 a week for 2 kids meals p/day with a drink each!!!
Kids usually sit outside to have lunch and their bags are kept outside all day so in the extreme heat I can only imagine how awful it must be eating a packed lunch even with ice bricks to help keep it cool.
I do miss my kids having a healthy school lunch sat in a dinner hall, especially considering what great value they are.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the comments and feedback, enables me to be prepped for little school culture change!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:31 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Lol, eldest in high school is apparently making the most of my recent baking frenzy, he's been selling his double choc chip muffin for an icey pole from the canteen...

My kids (14, 12 and 10) make their own lunches, usually girls like a salad of some sort, plus home made vegemite scrolls, packet of sultanas for brain food (most WA schools have brain food ie. cut up fruit or veggies at their desk throughout the day), they also pack some more fruit for recess etc. they still come home hungry though....

Eldest, well, as said wheeling and dealing apparently. But then again he starts his day with 4 toasts and 5+ weetbix. Seems to like ham and cheese sandwiches ATM, some fruit, no brain food and occasionally asks for muesli bars, although I rarely buy them..

Canteen food is, as others said, expensive and more of a treat, they either spent their pocket money on it, or we buy it once a term but if they choose that, no end of term disco then... And they always choose disco.
As for pocket money spent, they usually leave for hot days and icey poles

Also very important to remember during hottest months to have an insulated lunch box with a small frozen ice block... Unless you prefer food poisoning!

Last edited by teza; Oct 16th 2013 at 2:35 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:36 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

R
Packed lunches arrrggg think I hate them more than the kids do! it was so much easier in the uk with school lunches, milk and free fruit.

I only have one 15yr old that I need to do lunch for, he's completely over sandwiches and preferes to take left overs from the night before dinner or buy lunch from the canteen usually about 2 days a week on the days that nachos are on the menu. I'm always baking or cooking something that can be used to top up the lunch or be used to trade with friends.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Your school allows kids to take in nuts?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 10:15 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the memories of English school lunches! My parents were vegetarian and my father had some clout with the canteen staff (he was responsible for maintenance of County buildings) so every day when the rest of the school had sloppy shepherds pie served from a large tray I would walk up to the serving counter and get my specially prepared meal (egg or cheese salad, omelette, etc) much to the envy of most of the others!

Not forgetting the free milk in 1/3 pint bottles that was left out in the sun in summer and froze in winter!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Your school allows kids to take in nuts?
No, hence the nut nazi's - if something even remotely looks like a nut, the kids go into battle mode - it's drilled into them never to swap food in case the other kid has an allergy you don't know about and they instantly die in front of you, turn into a zomby and eat your brains right there in the playground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.