Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School fees for 457 visa holders breach UN Treaty

School fees for 457 visa holders breach UN Treaty

Old May 3rd 2012, 12:42 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School fees for 457 visa holders breach UN Treaty

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Another reminder that the 457 visa is temporary. That isn't the only visa the fees apply to. Student visas (children of the person studying), 485 visas. All the same. I guess they would argue that until you have pr you are expected to leave at the end of their visa.

Interestingly there was an article on the daily mail today about the money the nhs has spent treating visitors who are not actually entitled to free health care. Similar vein.
Truth be told, I tend to take anything from the Daily Mail with a large quantity of salt! I do get your point though.
Old May 4th 2012, 5:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
I'm perfectly aware of how democracy works, thank you.

No taxation without representation.... unless you're a 457.
Old May 4th 2012, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I am on a PR visa and also have to pay taxes but don't get a say in government or their policy. If I decide that is intolerable to me, then I can leave.
Old May 4th 2012, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am on a PR visa and also have to pay taxes but don't get a say in government or their policy. If I decide that is intolerable to me, then I can leave.
Do you get to vote?
Old May 4th 2012, 5:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auschoolfees
I agree that probably all parents that move to AU on a 457 visa with school aged children are aware of the fact that schools are not free of charge. However, this fact doesn't justify that the NSW and ACT states act directly against a convention that has been signed by AU. It is a legal binding document that include all children, no matter their residential status. If they didn't wanted to make primary school free of charge they shouldn't have signed the convention or at least made a reservation against this, but they didn't.

457 Visa holders are currently not entitled to either medicare, child care or free primary school education but are still required to pay full tax and one may ask what does it give them? Are skilled migrants simply a cash cow?.
Simple solution - become PR. Our government makes no secret of the fact that 457 is a temporary visa and that 'benefits' are limited - as they should be. I personally don't agree with what NSW does, but in Australia, states are responsible for most education policy, and if they want to do this then it is up to them.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 4th 2012 at 6:29 am.
Old May 4th 2012, 6:22 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get to vote?
Not as a PR, no.

Hopefully the Government isn't going to do anything too stupid in the next few weeks so we get our citizenship ceremony in the bag before the next election
Old May 4th 2012, 9:25 am

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

If you dislike it that much, leave. If you didn't want to be on a temporary visa with such restrictions, you shouldn't have accepted the sponsorship.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Simple solution - become PR. Our government makes no secret of the fact that 457 is a temporary visa and that 'benefits' are limited - as they should be. I personally don't agree with what NSW does, but in Australia, states are responsible for most education policy, and if they want to do this then it is up to them.
+1
Old May 4th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine the reason you must still pay for schooling even if you send your child to a private school is because, unlike most countries, private schools are subsidised by the govt so they are still paying towards the child's education.
Old May 4th 2012, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get to vote?
No, only citizens get to vote.
Old May 5th 2012, 2:32 am
Account Closed

If you dislike it that much, leave. If you didn't want to be on a temporary visa with such restrictions, you shouldn't have accepted the sponsorship.
Perhaps I should point out that I'm an Australian citizen.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I quite agree. I think that education & healthcare should be free to everyone, but people have chosen to move there, and by doing so, they accept their rules. If people want it to be more like it is in their home countries, they should stay in their home countries. I'll never understand people moving to someone else's country, just to complain that they're not getting the things that they used to.
Then once the temporary resident becomes permenant, shouldnt they get an education refund, as one would assume they came on temporary with an aim to being permenant
Old May 5th 2012, 10:22 am

Perhaps I should point out that I'm an Australian citizen.
Yet you seem to be getting your knickers in a twist about something that doesn't affect you. The point still stands though. If a 457 holder doesn't like the conditions, they're not forced to stay.

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Then once the temporary resident becomes permenant, shouldnt they get an education refund, as one would assume they came on temporary with an aim to being permenant
No, because 457s are meant to be a temporary migration solution. The fact that the migrant has the intention of becoming PR eventually is irrelevant. In the eyes of the Australian government, 457s are temporary, & those on them would logically be heading home afterwards. I agree that lots of 457 holders wind up going to more secure visas, but if they really want to avoid the charges that they know about (or should know about) before they move, then they should go for PR instead. They have a choice - jump the queue & get to Australia quicker on a 457 - but pay the hefty school fees, or wait in the GSM queue with everyone else & go for PR.

I notice the OP has disappeared. Successful troll was successful.
Old May 5th 2012, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

Yet you seem to be getting your knickers in a twist about something that doesn't affect you. The point still stands though. If a 457 holder doesn't like the conditions, they're not forced to stay.
That's your view. My, equally valid view, is that NSW and the ACT see 457's as a cash cow to be milked, know that they have no comeback at all.
Old May 5th 2012, 8:16 pm

That's your view. My, equally valid view, is that NSW and the ACT see 457's as a cash cow to be milked, know that they have no comeback at all.
Maybe so, but that's the price of a temporary visa.
Old May 5th 2012, 11:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

NSW has long been unhappy with the level of immigration into the state. As far as I am aware, the state public policy is to encourage temporary residents to settle in other states where possible.

As for allegedly breaching a UN treaty, there is absolutely no evidence that NSW/ACT are causing Australia to breach its international commitments. Many countries do give preference in the education system to their own citizens. And in any case, UN treaties are generally aspirational in nature and do not give a foreign authority the right to interfere in Australian domestic concerns. It is not like the European Union.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.