Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

school enrolment

school enrolment

Old Apr 10th 2004, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

vivalasvegan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school enrolment

I have a 4 and 6 year old and we are planning to go to oz in oct 2004. I have read that there could be problems enroling into schools. is this correct. i'm worried.
shelly his cool friend.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: school enrolment

Originally posted by vivalasvegan
I have a 4 and 6 year old and we are planning to go to oz in oct 2004. I have read that there could be problems enroling into schools. is this correct. i'm worried.
shelly his cool friend.
Hi have you decided on schools ?
you could contact them by Email & ask about enrolling. The school year begins in February.
Hope that this is some help Dolly
Old Apr 10th 2004, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

what are the problems you have heard about or are expecting??

cheers

scott
Old Apr 10th 2004, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

vivalasvegan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scottalison6
what are the problems you have heard about or are expecting??

cheers

scott
In the national papers here, it had that there is one closing date for enrolment and if you miss this date then you have to wait one year to the next enrolment date. is this true
Old Apr 10th 2004, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems unlikely they would take such a draconian view. I suspect, if there is a rule, it is for locals who are just being lazy.

There must be exceptions all the time - and at that age it is not going to effect the classes.

One thing that may influence their decision is the class size itself. They are not allowed to go over 30 (? I think) and if they do the school has to request another teacher. There maybe a restriction when they can do that.

I'm guessing here, but I will try and find out.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have spoken to some friends and they have said that children have been admitted each term of the school year (this is in NSW), which would indicate there is not just one enrollment per year.

You mention one of your kids is 4 years old. I believe most schools require your child to have reached 5 years old before admittance.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shelly,

Don't think you will have a problem, we have friends just arrived in Brisbane and they have enroled their children in the school starting after Easter. Think I read somewhere that they work like UK. and if your in the catchment area they must find your kids a place.

Terry
Old Apr 10th 2004, 11:45 pm
ABCDiamond

shelly his cool friend.
The rules for State schools are that they must accept you at the local school. And, as anzen12 says, the school has to request another teacher if they dont have enough to cover all the children.

Children moving to the area can be accepted at any time, during mid-term etc. The only limitation is the one regarding the age for first year at school. This can be different in some States.

Costs for state schools are normally the stationery kit each year, at about $100-$150, plus uniform costs, but very little else.

Most private schools have waiting lists, and fees start at about $2,000 per year.

Old Apr 11th 2004, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Around here the schools will accept your children with no problems when you arrive.

Even the schools with catchment areas HAVE to accept the children if you live in the zone, there is no maximum capacity or waiting lists- apart from pre-school which is often full up.
Old Apr 11th 2004, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

shelly his cool friend.

Just noticed the age of your children. In QLD you would have a problem as your youngest is not old enough for school. They have to be 6 to start which is very late. Pre-school would be the place and these are very popular so it might be wise to put their name down now if you know where you are heading.

Some private schools take the children younger. My youngest is 4 and goes to a full time Prep class. If he went to a state school he would be in pre-school 2 or 3 days- but there was a waiting list of 35 kids!!
Old Apr 11th 2004, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

State schools in QLD - they can start grade 1 at age 5. They must have turned 5 by Dec 31 of the previous year and the term starts in late January.

Pre schools and child care centres do have big waiting lists, get your name down ASAP if you know where you are heading see if it can be done before you arrive.

Last edited by dotty; Apr 11th 2004 at 3:25 am.
Old Apr 11th 2004, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Costs for state schools are normally the stationery kit each year, at about $100-$150, plus uniform costs, but very little else.

Most private schools have waiting lists, and fees start at about $2,000 per year.
This is the case for Queensland, but I believe that in other
states there are charges for Temporary residents, so it may
depend on what visa you're coming to Oz on whether you may
have to pay.

I know ABCDiamond has posted a PDF document about the
charges for NSW, but I can't remember the link I'm afraid.

If you're going to Queensland, this link might help:

http://education.qld.gov.au/

All the best in your search.

Karen
Old Apr 11th 2004, 11:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by karen p
This is the case for Queensland, but I believe that in other
states there are charges for Temporary residents, so it may
depend on what visa you're coming to Oz on whether you may
have to pay.

I know ABCDiamond has posted a PDF document about the
charges for NSW, but I can't remember the link I'm afraid.

If you're going to Queensland, this link might help:

http://education.qld.gov.au/

All the best in your search.

Karen
I wish my memory was better than it is !!
I can't remember it either