Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scary - somebody through me a lifeline

Wikiposts

Scary - somebody through me a lifeline

Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scary - somebody through me a lifeline

Folks,

This week I have an interview lined up with the Sydney office of the parent company I work for.......we will be using video conferencing.

Although it's good news, I am quite scared. They have okayed proceeding to interview stage having had lawyers confirm that my visa application will not be an issue if I am in the country (remember that our visa application will be via my wife who is a midwife - skills already accepted).

I am scared because of the unknown - will I get a really nice house near some decent schools.....will we integrate, etc etc.

At least I get my pension transferred in tact which is worth a bit.

I haven't spoken money with them yet........so that could be a stumbling block. I earn well above average here but also have well above average outgoings.

In the UK I earn in the region of £55k plus 10%-15% bonus, with a company car, private health insurance, private fuel (all taxed by mr Brown of course)..........plus I have lots of outgoings on mortgage and kids and stuff. My wife works 4 days a week but is mega pissed off with the NHS and wants to leave every day.....so Oz is a escape route.

We have equity in our house of around £200k (madness as we never even paid that for it!).........which could provide a decent house in Sydney.

Why am I scared yet have a good opportunity this week in an interview for a job..............?

Positive posts only need reply..........
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scary - somebody through me a lifeline

Originally posted by Olibeneli
Folks,

This week I have an interview lined up with the Sydney office of the parent company I work for.......we will be using video conferencing.

Although it's good news, I am quite scared. They have okayed proceeding to interview stage having had lawyers confirm that my visa application will not be an issue if I am in the country (remember that our visa application will be via my wife who is a midwife - skills already accepted).

I am scared because of the unknown - will I get a really nice house near some decent schools.....will we integrate, etc etc.

I haven't spoken money with them yet........so that could be a stumbling block. I earn well above average here but also have well above average outgoings.

In the UK I earn in the region of £55k plus 10%-15% bonus, with a company car, private health insurance, private fuel (all taxed by mr Brown of course)..........plus I have lots of outgoings on mortgage and kids and stuff. My wife works 4 days a week but is mega pissed off with the NHS and wants to leave every day.....so Oz is a escape route.

We have equity in our house of around £200k (madness as we never even paid that for it!).........which could provide a decent house in Sydney.

Why am I scared yet have a good opportunity this week in an interview for a job..............?

Hi

I arrived in Sydney in October with my Australian fiancee. I have an independent skilled migration visa based on my electrical trade.

I found it difficult to get a job, but now have a good job working for a major food company. You wont have that problem as long as things go well

I had been here before 5 years ago backpacking when i met my better half, so was used to the culture change. We are living in Coogee which is a great place to live with a great beach lifestyle although very expensive to buy property.

Australia is what you make of it. Its still the land of opportunity but things will not fall into place by themselves. you have stated that Australia is a way out for your wife away from the NHS. Although i dont blame her, dont fall into the grass is always greener trap, as a lot of people who post on this site have and returned back to the UK.

I earnt a lot more in the UK and was engineering manger of a food factory. I dont miss any of it as I would rather be happy and enjoying my life and job than have any of that again

I wish you all the best as i think moving to Australia is one of the best choices i have ever made, and i wouldnt change my life for the world

All the best

Pete
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by John Howard
Hi

I arrived in Sydney in October with my Australian fiancee. I have an independent skilled migration visa based on my electrical trade.

I found it difficult to get a job, but now have a good job working for a major food company. You wont have that problem as long as things go well

I had been here before 5 years ago backpacking when i met my better half, so was used to the culture change. We are living in Coogee which is a great place to live with a great beach lifestyle although very expensive to buy property.

Australia is what you make of it. Its still the land of opportunity but things will not fall into place by themselves. you have stated that Australia is a way out for your wife away from the NHS. Although i dont blame her, dont fall into the grass is always greener trap, as a lot of people who post on this site have and returned back to the UK.

I earnt a lot more in the UK and was engineering manger of a food factory. I dont miss any of it as I would rather be happy and enjoying my life and job than have any of that again

I wish you all the best as i think moving to Australia is one of the best choices i have ever made, and i wouldnt change my life for the world

All the best

Pete
Thanks for that......My wife keeps saying she wants to give up work...spend more time with our 3 boys, etc...... I have said to her that the reason Oz wants nurses, midwives, etc may just be 'cos it's worse than here !.....still, if it's sunny and we have a nice house she'll be right !!......

Don't think for a second we'll afford coogee area......house is very important to us as we need nice garden for the kids to play in and nice location for neighbours friends etc..... My wife wants a
pool too !

It's no problem living away from CBD just as long as we have the boys settled in school with great mates and that all important house. The work could all fall in to place for me and keep my pension in tact........

Glad you are enjoying yourself..........
Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:53 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi olibeneli,
wondered where you were...thoguht you had already made it out there!!!
sounds like you are pretty much sorted.....just keep checking the real estate websites for houses in the areas you want, they are usualy quite informative on the areas the houses are in too. Im sure you will find what you are looking for... and still manage, even if your wife doesnt work.
lifes too short to dwell on money anyway......
good look with the interview!!!

sue
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Folks,

I think you are quite sorted!! So go and enjoy and dont worry too much about the money! Rememeber that the quality of life is probably what u are going out there for - I would love to be in your position now - i think u are very fortunate to be going away with what u have!!
good luck with interview!
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by salonit
I think you are quite sorted!! So go and enjoy and dont worry too much about the money! Rememeber that the quality of life is probably what u are going out there for - I would love to be in your position now - i think u are very fortunate to be going away with what u have!!
good luck with interview!
Thank you.......it's not until you undertake these things that you truly see how fortunate you are. Many folks on here are not as fortunate as us yet somehow we are all dissatisfied......that yearning for a better quality of life is there in all of us no matter what our finances.....

It's that leap of faith that is required.......I don't want to end up worse down under than I am here !......mind you, the sun being out is worth lots to me and my family as we enjoy outdoors so much.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi olibeneli,
wondered where you were...thoguht you had already made it out there!!!
sounds like you are pretty much sorted.....just keep checking the real estate websites for houses in the areas you want, they are usualy quite informative on the areas the houses are in too. Im sure you will find what you are looking for... and still manage, even if your wife doesnt work.
lifes too short to dwell on money anyway......
good look with the interview!!!

sue
thank you...are you already out there now....if so where?

I do check the real estate web sites...but it's hard to know what the areas are like and if decent schools are in a walking distance...or do school kids down under get driven by car...or is there a school bus like the big yellow ones in the USA?

My wife would like to continue midwifery/sonography but only on her terms and if she enjoyed it. She is bloody marvellous at her job.............No way I could do it.

Cheers
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Every time we throw you a lifeline you just go through it.

No, seriously, just remember the old adage 'she'll be right mate'. I'm sure your interview will go well and everything else will fall into place. Just keep hanging in. Good luck with everything.

OzTennis
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We had originally planned to go to the sunshine coast/Brisbane area and that's where all our plans have been made towards.

Now, hubbie has been offered a job in Cairns working for the same company that he works for here. This has really put a spanner into the works as regards out plans.

After alot of thought we have decided that we would be silly not to accept the job, after all this is one of the most important factors of getting sorted in Oz.

Yes, a little bit of me is worried about the heat etc, but we will give it a go and if it doesn't work out we will go back to our first plan.

Getting the job has taken a big weight off my husbands shoulders. It is a job he knows and he had his interview on the telephone and it went really well and they offered him the job there and then.

I say go for it, if it doesn't work out what have you lost? At least you will have an income when you first get there.

Mandy
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:26 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Folks,

Good luck with the interview and getting the job !

If the job comes through you are in a much stronger position regarding settling and integrating into OZ and remember just cos they give you the job doesnt mean to say you have to stay there forever if you dont like it.

Your company will be a great resource to helping get you settled in and then at the right time, once you've found your feet, move on to another house or another job or whatever you wish for.

Sounds to me like "You'll be right".