Reload this Page >

Scared! Advice needed!

Scared! Advice needed!

Old Mar 28th 2006, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

aaron11green is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Scared! Advice needed!

Hi There,
My Husband and I are thinking of Emirgrating to Australia. (Thinking Adelaide). I don't work as I have Chrionic Fatigue syndrome but my Husband is a qualified Auto Electrtician. We are both 32 and married with no children. I just wondered what you think our chances are of being granted a visa to live in Australia. We are hoping that my Husband will get a skilled visa. Are the chances of him finding work good? (He has worked full time as an auto electrician since leaving school at 17 and works on cars,bikes,plant machinery and does air conditioning). Would we be refused because of me being ill? I take anti-depressents and Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid. What is the healthcare like in Australia? Is it expensive to visit the Doctor and get priscriptions? In the UK I get free priscriptions because of my thyroid. Im not bothered about having to pay for them its just how much it may cost? I have a really good Doctor who has supported me and am worried the level of care may not be the same or will be expensive? Can you get an appointment with a Doctor the same way we do in the UK? I get bloodtests around every six months to check thyroid levels. Would I still be able to get this? Sorry for all the questions but we are desperate to find the answers!!

Thankyou for ALL your help. I would love to make our dream come true but am confused by all the practicalities!!
Thankyou in advance x
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:05 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared! Advice needed!

Originally Posted by aaron11green
Hi There,
My Husband and I are thinking of Emirgrating to Australia. (Thinking Adelaide). I don't work as I have Chrionic Fatigue syndrome but my Husband is a qualified Auto Electrtician. We are both 32 and married with no children. I just wondered what you think our chances are of being granted a visa to live in Australia. We are hoping that my Husband will get a skilled visa. Are the chances of him finding work good? (He has worked full time as an auto electrician since leaving school at 17 and works on cars,bikes,plant machinery and does air conditioning). Would we be refused because of me being ill? I take anti-depressents and Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid. What is the healthcare like in Australia? Is it expensive to visit the Doctor and get priscriptions? In the UK I get free priscriptions because of my thyroid. Im not bothered about having to pay for them its just how much it may cost? I have a really good Doctor who has supported me and am worried the level of care may not be the same or will be expensive? Can you get an appointment with a Doctor the same way we do in the UK? I get bloodtests around every six months to check thyroid levels. Would I still be able to get this? Sorry for all the questions but we are desperate to find the answers!!

Thankyou for ALL your help. I would love to make our dream come true but am confused by all the practicalities!!
Thankyou in advance x
Welcome to BE.
Your best bet would be to get a agent and ask them the questions.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There,

Thankyou in advance x

Hi

It would probably be a good idea to get professional help from a registered agent / solicitor. Peter Bollard is recommended quite a lot for people who have medical conditions. His website is http://users.bigpond.net.au/onk/

Not sure about your Chrionic Fatigue syndrome, but I also have an underactive thyroid and we got our visa in January. I'm also not sure of the procedure in Oz for seeing doctors as we are still in the UK for now.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Would we be refused because of me being ill? I take anti-depressents and Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid. What is the healthcare like in Australia? Is it expensive to visit the Doctor and get priscriptions? In the UK I get free priscriptions because of my thyroid. Im not bothered about having to pay for them its just how much it may cost? I have a really good Doctor who has supported me and am worried the level of care may not be the same or will be expensive? Can you get an appointment with a Doctor the same way we do in the UK? I get bloodtests around every six months to check thyroid levels. Would I still be able to get this?

Right, I believe, although someone could tell me for sure, that as your condition isn't 'life threatening' then you should be able to get the visa. But I would approach an agent and ask them for sure.

Your thyroxine I think will cost around $29 a month, which is what I've worked mine out to be at. Depends on how much you're taking though.

I'm impressed you have a good doctor - they're notoriously difficult to find when it comes to thyroid probs!!!
You get your basic healthcare free via Medicare but the more complex stuff you have to pay for. Meds aren't free although some are (not thyroxine) ....
However the good news is that there are excellent thyroid docs in Australia, but you do have to pay.... Naturpaths are qualified to treat thyroid in Aus, as well as docs so you can go down the natural route or whatever suits you.

THere's a thyroid forum here

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum....g=ab-thyroiduk

and they have Aussie people there who have recommended docs, plus there's a list of docs for you to look through.

Yes, you can get your blood tests done ... It's all similar to here, but you'll have an endo at your beck and call.

I'm promised thyroid care is a lot better than the UK ,so I hope I haven't been misinformed.

Hope that helps.