Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scams when selling items

Scams when selling items

Old Aug 5th 2004, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Scams when selling items

Anyone tried to sell their motor vehicle or other on the internet/paper and had an offer from someone overseas offering to pay full asking price, never seen the thing and will send a cheque? They have the shipping agent lined up etc.

Am not going to fall for it but am sure I read a post on here recently and wondered if anyone else had had this experience?
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:07 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scams when selling items

Originally posted by melaniee

Am not going to fall for it but am sure I read a post on here recently and wondered if anyone else had had this experience?

No but I am intrigued. What's so special about the car that someone will pay to ship it? Anyway, stick themoney in your acoount before sending it I would say.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

nothing but often they say, here's an extra amount, please pay my shipping company, cheque clears, you send off the vehicle and then the bank goes, ah it is a fraud and takes the money back-its on the Met police website-very dodgy!

Originally posted by jayr
No but I am intrigued. What's so special about the car that someone will pay to ship it? Anyway, stick themoney in your acoount before sending it I would say.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:11 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Intrigued too. Must be a nice motor. Could you request a bankers draft??

Walla
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:17 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

nothing but often they say, here's an extra amount, please pay my shipping company, cheque clears, you send off the vehicle and then the bank goes, ah it is a fraud and takes the money back-its on the Met police website-very dodgy!

Just went and read it up. Very clever.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:20 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

We advertised our horse for sale and had several replies from fraudsters.

Check these sites (there are others but this will give a flavour of the sort of gits that are out there!

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/best/....php?aid=34437

http://www.quatloos.com

http://forums.vmag.com/RVAClass4Sale/messages/250.html

Only release goods once you have cleared funds in your possession - beware of forged Bankers Drafts etc.

Last edited by arnie2oz; Aug 5th 2004 at 7:31 am.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:29 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone tried to sell their motor vehicle or other on the internet/paper and had an offer from someone overseas offering to pay full asking price, never seen the thing and will send a cheque? They have the shipping agent lined up etc.

I had the same thing with my wedding dress the cheque was fake though looked original and it came by courier. It bounced and the bank froze my bank account.

I had not sold my dress and I am still getting requests to buy my dress with this scam. It is somewhere on the african continent forget where.

I think scotland yard are aware of it as I sent details of my mishap at the time.

I should've known at the time it was a scam but I was more bothered about selling my dress.

Jo
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:45 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG! YES!!! My friend just sold her Freelander, but before she sold it, some guy phoned her up and said he had an overseas buyer who wanted it, she was selling it for £7k...bizzarely he told her he would send her a cheque for £15k to cover the shipping (???!! )..anyway, said cheque bounced and when she called him to tell him this he just said 'Ill tell my client' and hung up. SHe never did hear from him again. This happened last week.

Lucy
Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:49 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Osama wants to buy your car. :scared:
Old Aug 5th 2004, 9:31 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

There was someone who had the same scam attempted on them - heres the post

In recent years (at least in UK) regulations on money laundering have got tighter (noticed all the extra checks banks require for opening a bank account). Even when a cheque has 'cleared' into your account the bank can take back the moey if it laters turns out to be fraud/stolen.

When it is too good to be true, it often is.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell,

Just when you think that things can't get any worse, someone out there thinks of something more nasty to do.

What a horrible world we live in.

Whisky
Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, think we will stay well clear of this one!

Warning to us all huh?