British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Scaffolding in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/scaffolding-australia-774383/)

Elena86 Oct 11th 2012 8:27 pm

Scaffolding in Australia

Hey, me, my husband and son are looking to move to Australia. My husbands a scaffolder here and he is fully qualified. Are scaffolders in demand at the moment? How are the wages?
Any infomation on scaffolding in Australia would be grateful, thanks.

James516 Oct 11th 2012 11:19 pm

Re: Scaffolding in Australia

Is he an Australian citizen? If not, you are probably out of luck - scaffolding is not on the list of occupations in demand, so it'll be hard to get a visa. Does he have any other trade qualifications? Roofers are on the list for example.

Dorothy Oct 12th 2012 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Elena86 (Post 10326290)
Hey, me, my husband and son are looking to move to Australia. My husbands a scaffolder here and he is fully qualified. Are scaffolders in demand at the moment? How are the wages?
Any infomation on scaffolding in Australia would be grateful, thanks.

Do you qualify for a visa? You won't be moving to Australia without one. www.immi.gov.au

Elena86 Oct 12th 2012 7:33 am

He's a fully qualified scaffolder but he's not qualified in anything else. His supervisor from work actually knows someone running a scaffodling firm in Australia. Would he be able to get a visa that way?

We actually were planning on moving to the USA our visas have been approved but scaffolding isnt doing well there and we heard it was in demand in Australia.

steve_kelly_and_boys Oct 12th 2012 7:42 am

Hi

from my experience i would say that here in Melbourne they tend to do all work off of booms ..... and i mean everything

the 2 years i have worked here on big jobs up in the city i have used a scaffold twice and that was only because a boom couldn't be used

derab Oct 12th 2012 8:24 am

Just a thought, have you looked at Christchurch, New Zealand?
their construction industry should be getting into high gear soon, after all its only been 2 years since they had their big shake.

ukecadet Oct 13th 2012 1:49 am

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys (Post 10326886)
Hi

from my experience i would say that here in Melbourne they tend to do all work off of booms ..... and i mean everything

the 2 years i have worked here on big jobs up in the city i have used a scaffold twice and that was only because a boom couldn't be used

I know what your're on about'I was in a cherry picker yesterday' but are you talking commercial?The OP would get get plenty of work in domestic.
Even single storey requires safety rails/scaff for roof work.

keel Oct 13th 2012 10:59 am

British scaffolders are well respected out here and there is loads of work for them. Unfortunately it's not classed as a trade so he would need to find a sponsor.

Keel

Bermudashorts Oct 14th 2012 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Elena86 (Post 10326869)
He's a fully qualified scaffolder but he's not qualified in anything else. His supervisor from work actually knows someone running a scaffodling firm in Australia. Would he be able to get a visa that way?

We actually were planning on moving to the USA our visas have been approved but scaffolding isnt doing well there and we heard it was in demand in Australia.

Scaffolder is not on the occupation list at all, this means it does not qualify for employer sponsorship even. Australia isn't going to happen unless you can get the visa?