Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saying goodbye to the dog

Saying goodbye to the dog

Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Saying goodbye to the dog

Oh well just found a new home for my wiermeraner. Dropped him off last night and today we all feel crap.
Decided it wasnt an option to take him (too old, stress on the flight, insects etc)
so we had to find him somewhere. But at least we got a really good home for him. Just feel really bad today and well p****d off with myself.
Anyone else thinking about doing it just be prepared for the grief, 3 of us in the car sobbing as we drove down the road.
I bet we dont cry like that when we leave the family behind.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:14 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saying goodbye to the dog

Originally Posted by devilishdean
Oh well just found a new home for my wiermeraner. Dropped him off last night and today we all feel crap.
Decided it wasnt an option to take him (too old, stress on the flight, insects etc)
so we had to find him somewhere. But at least we got a really good home for him. Just feel really bad today and well p****d off with myself.
Anyone else thinking about doing it just be prepared for the grief, 3 of us in the car sobbing as we drove down the road.
Cant imagine how you guys must be feeling, but i think this will be us guys when we leave our cat, even though i think shes staying with my parents. We are taking our dog, but as for the cat it just doesnt seem right at the moment. Think we are going to get her a permit, leave her with my parents and see what situation we find ourselves in when we get to Aus before we decide whether to fly her over or not.
Its such a difficult decision to make isnt it, but im sure you must know its the right thing or you wouldnt have done it in the first place. C x
Old Mar 17th 2007, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry, I can remember only too well what it was like when we had the 'last walk' with our dogs. I just broke down and was in bits. I was so distraught that I couldn't take them to their new owners, my husband had to do that alone

Now we have a cat, and I am definately taking her, no if and no buts, she is part of our family.

It does get better, and your dog has lovely new owner who will take care of it. Lots of karma!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 6:30 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same thing just before Christmas when we gave our 9 yr old white boxer to friends, we`d been advised by the vet(he has heart problems, bone fusion on his back and had to get a couple of cancerous lumps removed from his skin. I will always remember my daughter hugging his neck, whilst sobbing her heart out (I was upstairs crying as I couldn`t say goodbye). We do feel however that we`ve done the best thing and probably given hin him an extra few years - he is on the beach every day for his walks, and has attention lavished on him - he really is treated as their child (they even bought a new car because he was having difficulty getting in the one they had). I know you will feel like crap right now and it will be horrible next time you walk in the door and he isn`t there to greet you but it does ease and at least you`ve tried to do your best for him
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

Its good to know that I'm not the only one that felt bad about.
I have just been to pick my 16 year old son from work and he said he cried himself to sleep last night over it.
But in a couple of days we will also realise that we have done the right thing for him. Oh well we should be in Aus in a few months so we will have a lot more to worry about then.
Thanks
Andy
Old Mar 17th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy, We know how you feel too! We re-homed 3 dogs. Our oldest dog went to OH folks so he's still "in the family" but my 2nd and 3rd dogs went to great new homes. I'm in touch with them and wrote Christmas cards etc to them!

Sometimes I wonder whether they'd have been okay coming but always realise we did this best thing all round, it's just so hard!

(We've a new dog out here and she's equally gorgeous but the other 3 remain special in ours and our childrens lives!)

x Jo
Old Mar 17th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

I'm saying goodbye to my horses who I have been friends with for 26 years. They are now 28 and 32 years old and too old to put them through the stress of flights to Oz.
They have gone to a retirement home which I pay for and will do for the rest of their natural. They are still fit and well and I will go over tomorrow to ride them for probably the last time.
It's a killer - you have my thoughts.

My boys
Attached Thumbnails Saying goodbye to the dog-pic_0103.jpg   Saying goodbye to the dog-my-beautiful-boy.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
I'm saying goodbye to my horses who I have been friends with for 26 years. They are now 28 and 32 years old and too old to put them through the stress of flights to Oz.
They have gone to a retirement home which I pay for and will do for the rest of their natural. They are still fit and well and I will go over tomorrow to ride them for probably the last time.
It's a killer - you have my thoughts.

My boys
God, this thread is making me cry. I brought my dogs with me, they were young, in good health and so there was no decision involved. I really feel for everyone in this thread, how heartbreaking the decision must have been for you all. However, from your words i can tell you are all animal lovers and have selflessly put the needs of your animals before your own. Pat on the back to you all. Lisa.xx
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

I have just read this site too and am now sobbing!!! I can understand how hard it myust have been to leave your dogs behing but am sure you all had good rreason to do so..otherwise you would not hAVE BEEN ABLE TO. We are planning a move to North Queensland and have a 5 year old wemeraner who is very fit and healthy. About a year ago he went to a residential ttraining school in wales for 3 weeks..we have never found out what happened to him there but he cam back looking like a stick..he was so thin. he also now has a hatred of certain dogs..we reckon he was attacked when he was there. We are so worried about putting him through 4 weeks of quarantine. He is so close to us though that we couldn't stand the thought of him with anyone else and we jsut think 4 weeks is not the rest of his life.

the thought of leaving him doesn't come into the question but I understand there are genuine health/welfare reasons at times and this can't be avoided.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

I still cant get used to opening the door and not getting jumped on.
It is definitely the right decision for us not to take him, but its still difficult.
wiermeraners are a strange breed they have to follow you everywhere they dont like to be left alone, So I know that zeus wouldnt have been able to deal with quarantine. The couple he has gone to used to have great danes so they are used to big dogs (zeus is 8 St) and they are retired so in the long run its much better for him.
You just have to keep remembering that!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

I know what you mean..ours is happy to be left at home but hates it if we go away anywhere..unless he is staying at his grandmas where he gets spoilt rotten..I just wouldn't be able to trust anyone else to take care of him and know I would just miss him too much but I would be lying if I said the quarantine doesn't worry me...he is really healthy but we want to keep him that way!!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
It's the cats we are going to be leaving behind - one is 15 and the other is 2. If the old one lives till we go, the he will be moving 2 doors to our right - lady loves cats and will totally love him. the young one will be going 3 doors to our left cause thats were his brother lives - either way who ever gets our house will probably end up with visitors.

But, we will not be going for at least 18 months and I already feel sick whenever i think about it.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
I know what you mean..ours is happy to be left at home but hates it if we go away anywhere..unless he is staying at his grandmas where he gets spoilt rotten..I just wouldn't be able to trust anyone else to take care of him and know I would just miss him too much but I would be lying if I said the quarantine doesn't worry me...he is really healthy but we want to keep him that way!!
Our two westies were the same as yours. Only ever stayed at Grandma's when we went away and she ran it more like a 5* hotel for them from the moment they arrived. I was really worried about them going to quarantine and they handt ever had kennels and were so used to their home comforst, cuddles, kisses, and general human contact. But to be fair the staff at quarantine are such a bunch of animal lovers i would happily recommend them. They took such care of our boys, when i phoned them (about once a week) i always spoke to their carer and i could tell from the things she said how she knew their personalities. Charlie is soppy but tries to be the leader. Oscar the smaller one is puppy like but really the dominant one. It was reassuring to know they were in good hands. Now ive got them back i have to say i feels like home again, infact, as i type Charlie is on patrol looking out for the postman and Oscar, well he is under the pc table asleep on my feet. Boy, its good to have them back. Lisa.xx
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Originally Posted by devilishdean
Oh you poor guys. We rehomed our dogs to friends on Monday and felt like crap too. Everyone crying.

Door bell rang at 9pm and in ran the dogs. Guess what - they are coming with us now and I hope we are doing the right thing! I knowyou are on the November post like us - and off to Queensland, so if you want a lend of a couple of soppy staffs for a cuddle, don't hesitate to visit.

Hope you are feeling a tad better now it's been a short while down the line.

Best wishes

Carol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.