Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Saw a pretty disturbing thing today

Saw a pretty disturbing thing today

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
its not surpising they are taking glue or solvents. the cost of other drugs (e, coke, speed, heroin) are extortionate compared to uk prices.

I think being "extortionate" is the whole point !! Not too many nice, scrupulous drug lords out there wanting to make sure their clients get the best possible deal !

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:41 am
Goodpubmisser

Hey guys relax, take advantage of the Australian climate and grow your own dope.

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:41 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

how long have you been in oz. the price of drugs in the uk has reduced drastically over the last couple of years. supply and demand and all that.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 12:01 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sunlover
I was simply surprised at the blatant drug taking in the middle of the sidewalk during rush hour - a fairly normal reaction I would have thought.

I think too. It would be for me.
I've never seen anything like that, or anyone injecting or taking harddrugs.
The only thing I've come in contact with is weed. And a few weeks ago I was at a party and people said that two people had taken ecstasy. And of course alcohol.

So yeah, I guess I've been 'lucky' not having excperienced anything worse.
I know it all happens and exists, and as openly as you lot say, but because I've never seen it, it's so surreal for me..
Very wierd if you know what I mean.
If I had seen what Sunlover and OT described, I'd be VERY shocked, because it's be the first time.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Thing is vee alot of us havent been exposed to all this before , and i have to say i was shocked at some of the sites here in perth. Half the youngesters look out of it either drugs or drink, the syringe bins , glue sniffing things on the floor in a park down in perth and syringes. I dont look down on people who have problems no more than sunlover does , but god there is so much these kids could be doing surely. I hope and pray that my kids dont take drugs or drink massive amounts of alcohol etc and i hope they never fall on a infected needle left in a childrens play area , especially when the b******s left it there on purpose what saddo does something like that to hurt a innocent child , i have no sympthay for the idiots that do things like that , in my eyes they cant be helped if they have a mind that works like that. Lets hope none of our children fall prey to it , i have never taken drugs , i have a drink now and again thats enough for me i like life and hope to live it to the full.
Joanne
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:25 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never really thought of it like that before Joanne - "not everyone has been exposed to it before".

Maybe I should stop thinking that everyone sees it on a day to day basis like me. I see people taking drugs during all hours of the day.

That's not to say that I am hardened to it - it still upsets me. But then again, seeing anybody on the streets - drunk, on drugs, homeless - is upsetting.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

No thats fair enough Vee
Joanne
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I think the problem in talking about this here, is that most of us can only interpret life and experiences from our own path.

I really dont want to get to heavy into the subject as it will give us all brain ache! But, just because YOU havent been in a situation to end up like this, and YOUR life hasnt been that bad or low or you havent crossed paths with those who can influence into worng decisions for whatever reason...it doenst mean that everybody will think like you do!!

I can assure you, that my prevous life was certainly no bed of roses right form birth...i not gonna bore everybody with my story but when i look back, it could so easily have been me in the gutter. I could have given up the fight, and god knows i thought about it a few times!!!
I have never taken drugs, never had a drink problem, my cross to bare is an eating disorder. Different strokes for different folks as they say!!

Lets be honest here...jus thow many adult human beings are there that dont have some stange habits or behaviours directly or indirectly linked to their past??? Think about yourself and those you know, or are close to.
The smoker, the drinker, the drug addict, anoraexic, bulimic, compulsive eater, obsessive compulsive disorders? I bet theres not one single person here who hasnt suffered with one of these things or doesnt at least know someone close to them that does.

That junkie in the street and that drunk in the gutter merely acts out their pain in a different way to you.

Those that castigate them and say "well i dont do it so nor should they"...have you walked a mile in THEIR shoes??...they could be very well making a better job of things than you would in their situation...you'll never know unless it happens to you!!

Its far easier to dismiss them as inferior and unworthy coz the truth is harder to deal with!!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:39 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
I think the problem in talking about this here, is that most of us can only interpret life and experiences from our own path.

I really dont want to get to heavy into the subject as it will give us all brain ache! But, just because YOU havent been in a situation to end up like this, and YOUR life hasnt been that bad or low or you havent crossed paths with those who can influence into worng decisions for whatever reason...it doenst mean that everybody will think like you do!!

I can assure you, that my prevous life was certainly no bed of roses right form birth...i not gonna bore everybody with my story but when i look back, it could so easily have been me in the gutter. I could have given up the fight, and god knows i thought about it a few times!!!
I have never taken drugs, never had a drink problem, my cross to bare is an eating disorder. Different strokes for different folks as they say!!

Lets be honest here...jus thow many adult human beings are there that dont have some stange habits or behaviours directly or indirectly linked to their past??? Think about yourself and those you know, or are close to.
The smoker, the drinker, the drug addict, anoraexic, bulimic, compulsive eater, obsessive compulsive disorders? I bet theres not one single person here who hasnt suffered with one of these things or doesnt at least know someone close to them that does.

That junkie in the street and that drunk in the gutter merely acts out their pain in a different way to you.

Those that castigate them and say "well i dont do it so nor should they"...have you walked a mile in THEIR shoes??...they could be very well making a better job of things than you would in their situation...you'll never know unless it happens to you!!

Its far easier to dismiss them as inferior and unworthy coz the truth is harder to deal with!!

Well said PP, and well done for speaking up. You're right, we all have our crosses to bear and everyone reacts differently to their problems.

What drove me mad during the time that we found ourselves living next to a crak den was that these people seemed to know exactly what they were doing to themselves and to others. It's their life - they can destory themselves if they wish - but why should they take others down with them? It damn nearly drove me to a nervous breakdown, and it's not like we weren't sympathetic in the beginning. What upset me most was when I would see 14 year old girls disappearing into this crack den in their school uniforms.

We all have our pain and we all deal with it in different ways. but we don't have the right to inflict that pain on others and drag them down with us.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:42 pm
What's he asking?

very good post podgypossum. sound reasoning and no reactionary bullshit. i like it.

and Vee, i'm with you on this one. beign exposed to it does mean that you arent as shocked by it. choosing to be in that situation means that when you see others in that sort of state doesnt shock me at all. i've been there and i've been the twatted person half asleep on the bus on a saturday morning as people are goign to work. i think nothing of it, but that doesnt mean that others arent scared/shocked/disturbed by my behaviour.

i think the key here is understanding why people act or behave in a certain way. as PP said dont judge others as you dont know why they are there in the first place.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Life; choice and opportunity?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats a fair comment to podgy but as with alot of people on here i have family who are drug adicts and the pain they cause the rest of the family is just so unreal they steal and that hurts to feed their addiction , they took thousands from my nan , took their mums wedding ring and more they broke her heart , they are now prostituting to feed their habits they are past help now the family can do no more. My friends fellow is a druggie he would take his son to drug dens in the city or what he thought was better would be to leave him in the car unattended while he was shooting up , then he would get in the car and drive the little boy home , she found all this out after it happened he was supposed to be taking the little one on a day trip !! No these people would not have done a better job at my life im sorry .
Joanne
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:54 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'know I'd be more shocked tahn some of you!
I was even shocked when I found out about those 2 I knew having taken ecstasy.
And of course I was a bit (less) shocked when I first saw people smoking pot!

And I am sometimes a bit shocked when my husband 'has' to have a beer on friday/saturday night. I don't see why he HAS to. Just because it's the weekend
Others might find it very normal, but I don't, cos I was brought up by parents who hardly drink any alcohol.
I will add, I do drink, sometimes. And sometimes a bit to much. But I'm fine not drinking too.

It all depends on what you're used to, if it shocks you or not. Not that you get used to everything, but still.

When people are taking about things like gay people kissing being yuck or something stupid like that, I always say, it's just something you have to get used to. When you don't see it very often, some people are 'shocked' by it, but once you start seeing it more often, it becomes normal.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jopaulss
Thats a fair comment to podgy but as with alot of people on here i have family who are drug adicts and the pain they cause the rest of the family is just so unreal they steal and that hurts to feed their addiction , they took thousands from my nan , took their mums wedding ring and more they broke her heart , they are now prostituting to feed their habits they are past help now the family can do no more. My friends fellow is a druggie he would take his son to drug dens in the city or what he thought was better would be to leave him in the car unattended while he was shooting up , then he would get in the car and drive the little boy home , she found all this out after it happened he was supposed to be taking the little one on a day trip !! No these people would not have done a better job at my life im sorry .
Joanne
What a shame for the poor little lad, it's lucky his mum's around, otherwise he would probably go down the same route!

As for these druggies, we don't have to like or dislike them and we don't have to understand what has happened to them, but we don't have to like what they do. We should be disturbed by it, because it's wrong!

Noodle
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:01 pm
What's he asking?

As for these druggies, we don't have to like or dislike them and we don't have to understand what has happened to them, but we don't have to like what they do. We should be disturbed by it, because it's wrong!
no you dont have to like it i accept that. i would also point out who are you to tell them that what they are doing is wrong. do they tell you you are wrong for something you do. how would that make you feel. its their life let them get on with it. if it is such a problem to you why not try and help them to get of drugs rather than castigate them for something that doesnt fit in with your own morality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.