Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Savings account with interest rate of 23%

Savings account with interest rate of 23%

Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Savings account with interest rate of 23%

http://www.membersequitybank.com.au/...ome_saver.html these aren't the only suppliers

http://www.homesaver.treasury.gov.au...nt/default.asp

Basically, it's for first-home buyers.

You have to put money in for 4 tax years (2 years and 2 days with days being last day of first year and first day of fourth year).

If you don't take it out for a house then it has to go into super i.e. once it's in you have lost of control of it.

Ian

PS and I bet you thought I was joking!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:30 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Savings account with interest rate of 23%

Originally Posted by ebo1608
http://www.membersequitybank.com.au/...ome_saver.html these aren't the only suppliers

http://www.homesaver.treasury.gov.au...nt/default.asp

Basically, it's for first-home buyers.

You have to put money in for 4 tax years (2 years and 2 days with days being last day of first year and first day of fourth year).

If you don't take it out for a house then it has to go into super i.e. once it's in you have lost of control of it.

Ian

I wonder how many first home buyers, or even others, would be able to allocate an extra $5000 each year (total $20 000) to put in the bank at the moment?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ebo1608

Not you, just the Government.......

If you pay $5,000 per year into that account, with the 6% interest + the government subsidy, you end up with $25,949 at the end of 4 years.

That is actually equal to an interest rate of 14.65%, with the bank paying 6%, and the Government effectively giving 8.65% extra.

That 6% bank rate is fixed until June 30, 2009, when it reverts to the standard variable FHSA interest rate.

The Government will contribute 17 per cent on the first $5,000 (indexed) of individual contributions made each year.
This means an individual contributing $5,000 will receive a Government contribution of $850.
Still not bad, for those saving for their first home, and not wanting to buy for at least 4 years.

Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

What about the account that doubles+ your money.

If you earn under a certain amount, you put in say 1000 to super, the govvy adds another 1000 ( 1500 I think ), dont know exactly, but its for low income earners.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What about the account that doubles+ your money.

If you earn under a certain amount, you put in say 1000 to super, the govvy adds another 1000 ( 1500 I think ), dont know exactly, but its for low income earners.
'Super Co-contribution'
There is a scheme for some employed people called 'Super Co-contribution' where the government pay something to top up your own personal superannuation contributions.

Conditions (2008-2009) include that your gross income must be less than $60,342 pa. and that 10% or more of your total income is from eligible employment, running a business or a combination of both.

You get the maximum benefit ($1,500 in 2008/09) if your income is under $30,342. (Indexed annually)

Therefore you pay in $1,500, the government pay $1,500, and your super fund gets $3,000 in total.