SAT NAVs

Old May 6th 2011, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default SAT NAVs

Hi Guys

Can anyone please advise me as to the best Sat Nav to acquire in Perth please at a reasonable cost? Also, the best place to buy them from?

I would like to buy one as soon as I arrive so getting around is not a problem (no good at map reading)!!

Like here in the UK they say the Tom Tom is the best having said that I have a Tom Tom and it hasnt been much good I have to say.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Debbie
Old May 6th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: SAT NAVs

We bought our Tom Tom over with us. Hubby downloaded the maps for it & it works fine here in Perth.

Although for some odd reason it doesn't like leaving Ikea & sends me the opposite way to the freeway, round in a circle & back to the store But that's the only hiccup I've found with it.

Alison x
Old May 6th 2011, 7:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get the Oz maps and bring a sat nav with you, one less thing to worry about.

Aldi do a nice 5" Sat Nav, using iGo, for $139 - if I were buying, that's what I'd get.
Old May 6th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al150n
We bought our Tom Tom over with us. Hubby downloaded the maps for it & it works fine here in Perth.

Although for some odd reason it doesn't like leaving Ikea & sends me the opposite way to the freeway, round in a circle & back to the store But that's the only hiccup I've found with it.

Alison x
LOL, a bit like IKEA itself then - specially designed to keep you in there for hours!
Old May 7th 2011, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

i can recommend metro view australia app for the iphone 4. works very very well and its only $18
Old May 7th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

ALDI did have $99 Satnavs but haven't noticed any of any kind in the last month. All the Australian maps seem to be based on the data supplied by Sensis a subsidiary of Telstra formerly Telecomm Australia. Our small village only has six streets and they've spelt three of them wrong, have reported the problem several times over the last three years but they ignore me. The couriers get a bit miffed, if they spell our street the correct way with an S they are taken to another suburb 22 kms away, Sensis spelt it with a Z.
Old May 7th 2011, 9:09 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

+1 for metro view on the iPhone/iPad. Doubt I'll buy another GPS for the car. Metroview works well and does not need a phone signal to operate.
Old May 7th 2011, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

A good place to buy from is JB-Hi Fi. We were offered a discount without even asking for it. We bought a Tom Tom a few months after we got here and it's been our best gadget buy and easy to use.
Old May 7th 2011, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

My father bought a TomTom to give to my OH for Christmas (OH reads maps for fun and has the most amazing sens of direction ever so my father took TomTom back to France ) and the bloody thing point blank refused to get us back to our house via the most straight forward way from the local shopping centre. It kept coming up with detours and never ever gave us the quickest way. Couldn't understand why
Can't comment on which is the best though sorry
Old May 11th 2011, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Debs
Pop into Joondalup (If your still heading this way) after you arrive at the moment one of the local flyers is advertising a tom tom for $89 (Target or k-mart or one of the big shops) which is great value. I bought from ebay but paid £70 and looked at the card option but for £63 it didnt seem like a great deal......Good Luck!
Old May 11th 2011, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Hi,after a lot of research i bought a Garmin ,i found it on line and went to dick smith and they price matched and also took off a bit more ,( $155) the best thing is u only pay a one off payment to update it,and thats for a life time ,where as the others u have to pay yearly,its very similiar to the Tom Tom to use.
sue
Old May 11th 2011, 12:57 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
ALDI did have $99 Satnavs but haven't noticed any of any kind in the last month. All the Australian maps seem to be based on the data supplied by Sensis a subsidiary of Telstra formerly Telecomm Australia. Our small village only has six streets and they've spelt three of them wrong, have reported the problem several times over the last three years but they ignore me. The couriers get a bit miffed, if they spell our street the correct way with an S they are taken to another suburb 22 kms away, Sensis spelt it with a Z.
Two providers of mapping for Oz - Sensis and Navteq

IIRC TomTom and Garmin use Sensis mapping

Many people say Navteq is better, particularly outside the main cities. Sensis is owned by Telstra....

My local Aldi has their 5 inch GPS down to $114 - that uses iGo for navigation, and Sensis map. However you can acquire Navteq maps for it instead - and would be my personal choice.

Of course, you could just use Navigator on Google Maps on an Android phone - that's free.
Old May 11th 2011, 1:52 pm
Banned

knowlton is on a distinguished road

To cut costs, I bought a Nokia 5320 that has Ovi Maps (now free) which works pretty well!
Old May 12th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I've had TomToms for years and found it reallyuseful since I have moved here.

I now have Tom Tom on my iPhone, so it's one less thing to carry, or hide away in the car. Other satnav apps are also available on the iPhone.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
i can recommend metro view australia app for the iphone 4. works very very well and its only $18
+2