Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sat Nav Recommendations

Sat Nav Recommendations

Old Mar 31st 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sat Nav Recommendations

I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned Garmin Nuvi devices. Are they so unknown in Australia?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by caliburn
I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned Garmin Nuvi devices. Are they so unknown in Australia?
14 November 2006
Garmin Nuvi 310
A feature packed portable GPS device that's ideal for travelling, but is let down by poor route calculations and very high price.
January 02, 2009
Garmin Nuvi 265W
We also found that the mapping system made some odd navigation choices

Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the replies everyone, great advice as always. Shame I have such a lousy sense of direction, but I won't have anyone else to blame if I get lost now will I.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:17 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caliburn
I had one with work and hated it! Have a navman now and it's ok. I prefer the tomtom.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:43 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I got one from ebay for about $5

I don't think it boosts the signal, you just get a better signal when it's placed on the windscreen.

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Don't u need a cradle to boost the GPS signal though?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:45 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to the update with live traffic, that way it won't send me up the gateway motorway in peak hour traffic.

Originally Posted by quoll
If you have an iphone then Sygic does a fantastic job at half the price.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:19 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
I'm looking forward to the update with live traffic, that way it won't send me up the gateway motorway in peak hour traffic.
i have it on the navman, its good
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:17 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

bought a tomtom about 5 years ago and it never let me down.
used it in a raxi for 2 years, running it for 12 hour shifts and it still didnt let me down.
met a sh!it load of taxi drivers who used others and got nothing but hassle.
my vote: tomtom every time
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

We had a Garmin Nuvi in the UK and it drove us mad with bad routing. Have got a Tom Tom Start over here, still sometimes dubious routing advice but much better and better user interface.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:50 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
We had a Garmin Nuvi in the UK and it drove us mad with bad routing. Have got a Tom Tom Start over here, still sometimes dubious routing advice but much better and better user interface.
I've used Tom Tom & Garmin Nuvi's and for me the Garmin anytime.

Admittedly I used tom tom 4-5 years ago, then upgraded to a Garmin 3 years ago and software & hardware was obviously much better, and recently another Garmin, and very happy with it. They can very literally take the shortest route, but otherwise excellent IMO.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:07 am
Just Joined

chris and tracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smartinis
I'm sure many of you have got these, so which one would you recommend. I need to buy one (or at least will get my new job to pay for it), it doesn't need to be the cheapest but I want one that is easy to use, will give me alerts for school zones etc, lane changes, exits for freeways. Any advice would be appreciated, I may also need to use it interstate (I'm in VIC) and possibly in NZ. I've read that some have time lag problems which I would find really annoying.
I've had 2 Garmin Nuvis - one in the UK & one here as it was as cheap to buy a new unit as to buy new maps!

Bought the same Nuvi 200/250 again as its so easy to use and reliable