Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sat nav or paper maps?

Sat nav or paper maps?

Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

mickbro will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sat nav or paper maps?

if you take a sat nav from uk how much does it cost to upgrade maps?
and where can you get it done
thanks
mick
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

It depends which Sat Nav you have.

If you have a TomTom, you can buy and download from tomtom.com
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:34 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bloodfoot
Hello,

We are going to Oz in Sept for a look around Adelaide, but not sure weather to update our sat nav or to just buy an A to Z.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ive heard a few say they would of been lost without a sat nav...imo id update sat nav.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:01 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bloodfoot
Hello,

We are going to Oz in Sept for a look around Adelaide, but not sure weather to update our sat nav or to just buy an A to Z.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Both! Get the paper map to figure out where you want to go and then use the Sat Nav to get there.

- CDM
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:27 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the problems that satnav can give I would still use it - but be aware of the times it goes off at a tangent. Over and underpasses are particularly error prone areas, as are hairpin bends (although then you are not too tempted to drive over the edge...) And around here the Navman (Sensis) maps have quite a few mapping bloopers - probably the sat photos had some clouds over the area when they digitised them and they just guessed where the roads were!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

If you're used to one, then use it and have a paper map for an overview so you know where the heck you are. When we went on our reccie a couple of weeks ago, the rental company offered a navigation system for $5 a day extra. We'd never used one so found it terrifying, but I wish we'd had the option.

If you use paper maps one person has to have their head down, missing everything. While Brisbane was fine, for some reason in Perth we continually ended up on the right motorway going in the wrong direction. After a bit of bitching we started laughing about it. There were several times when we were exploring suburbs when I just told OH to drive and when we were lost I'd look up the map. That way I got to see stuff too and we got to explore until we'd had enough. A navigation system probably would've helped, although we might not have gone down some interesting roads.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:45 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Survived this long with a paper map (UBD) so I dont see the need for Sat Nav.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I used a Sat Nav for the first time on my last trip back to the UK. I feel a Sat Nav is essential in the UK, with its many built up areas and myriad of twisting streets. However having lived in Melbourne for almost 30 years now, a Sat Nav for Melbourne would be overkill, its very easy to get around. The only use I would have for a Sat Nav would be when I travel to different cities, which would only be once or twice a year. So for me no, I'll probably wait until they become standard issue with Mobile phones.

If your a newbie to this country, and moving to a city, then probably a good idea... but you would need a paper map for perception reasons as well.

BTW they are 159 bucks at aldi at present.... for a rebranded navman, by the looks of the unit.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:36 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Much prefer paper - don't trust anyone else to direct me. I like to map my route out and get to know all the areas. When we arrived I drove round for 5 weeks (with a 2 & 4 year old) trying to find a rental (OH at work) and it was much more fun trying to memorise all the turnings and road names! But perhaps I just prefer a challenge
I'm the same. I have a crappy sat nav but prefer to study a map first and know where I'm going. That might change when I get a decent satnav though
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:37 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Despite the problems that satnav can give I would still use it - but be aware of the times it goes off at a tangent.
Like trying to send a 2.8m motorhome under a 2.2m bridge
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:45 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
If it's just for a recce, buy a UBD (paper map) when you get there. Much cheaper than GPS maps I would imagine.
Anyway, half the directions given by satnavs will literally will lead you up the garden path or at least up someone's driveway, or an access lane, in the wrong direction. Yes, it has happened. Personally, I think they are a total waste of money, because they rely on the correct data being feed into the government computer database system, which is used as the basis of all satnav maps. Sometimes street/road names are not recognised by the system, even though the road exists, because the name is not entered or entered incorrectly.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 14th 2008 at 11:47 am.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:46 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the same. I have a crappy sat nav but prefer to study a map first and know where I'm going. That might change when I get a decent satnav though
Wanye, see my previous post, it may not be the machine itself.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:54 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Wanye, see my previous post, it may not be the machine itself.
Yeah true. Though my maps are 5 or 6 years old so it would help I'm not in a mad rush to get a new system but I will when I have a couple of hundred $$ 'spare' .......
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:08 pm

Yeah true. Though my maps are 5 or 6 years old so it would help I'm not in a mad rush to get a new system but I will when I have a couple of hundred $$ 'spare' .......
Polly was once entering the info for the Qld Emergency Services Geographical Information Services database, which eventually gives the info to the satnav software people. She was constantly chasing councils for updated info that sometimes was many years behind in coming to GIS, if ever.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Paper - the road system isnt that complicated. Wasnt there a recent report in the paper about people needing to be rescued because their sat nav had directed them off into the bush down a fire track?