Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sat Nav, Here Or There

Sat Nav, Here Or There

Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Question Sat Nav, Here Or There

My question is ..... Sat Nav should I buy in the UK or Aus ??

Also the only ones I have looked at are tomtom go 300 and 500 are they any good, the 300 review I have read say it's to big to fit in your pocket.

Are their better makes out there??

Thanks for any help you can give
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:43 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sat Nav, Here Or There

Originally Posted by tabby

Also the only ones I have looked at are tomtom go 300 and 500 are they any good, the 300 review I have read say it's to big to fit in your pocket.

Hi

My advice... buy a PDA with Pocket PC with integrated GPS (£199) (comes with car kit, car charger, mains charger, leather carry case) 256MB SD card (£16) and download the Aussie maps (free) and you wont get it cheaper. If you buy a genuine Tom Tom 300, not to sure if the Aussie maps will work? If the Tom Tom 300 is Pocket PC based, there should be no problem. The same PDA in Oz is listed on the web for $800 - $900 on some sites, so based on what I've seen... much cheaper here.

I have the Aussie maps in my PDA/Tom Tom and am heading for Perth in January. The maps have been great for checking distances and routes to see how far apart places are, prior to us going, another good reason to get the Sat Nav now.
If you want any help with the set up, PM me and I'll try to help.

Neil.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Sat Nav, Here Or There

we bought one over here in Oz.... INVALUABLE..... no pulling over to look in Melways and all that palarva... just plug in the address and go.. it verbally directs you as well as visually.. great bit of kit.. you never get lost as when you want to go home just bring up GO HOME in memory.... ours cost about $900 but money well spent.... get it over here whole map of Oz comes with it.. can't remember the name but if you want it let me know.
GL
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cypry
we bought one over here in Oz.... INVALUABLE..... no pulling over to look in Melways and all that palarva... just plug in the address and go.. it verbally directs you as well as visually.. great bit of kit.. you never get lost as when you want to go home just bring up GO HOME in memory.... ours cost about $900 but money well spent.... get it over here whole map of Oz comes with it.. can't remember the name but if you want it let me know.
GL
Hi,

I was following this thread as we are due to arrive on the Gold Coast next week and we have already decided to buy sat nav when we arrive. I think this will be invaluable when we are exploring the different areas when deciding where to live and also to avoid getting lost unneccessarily with two kids in tow!

If you are happy to recommend the one that you have bought would you please let me know the name and model so that we can look at this.

Thanks for your help

Julia
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Just purchased my Sat Nav 2 weeks ago in Perth. MIO 268 its called, and its great. cost $840 and woreth every penny, as im crap at directions. The Mio 268 is also a MP3 player , PDA Etc. look up on web.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Sat Nav, Here Or There

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi,

I was following this thread as we are due to arrive on the Gold Coast next week and we have already decided to buy sat nav when we arrive. I think this will be invaluable when we are exploring the different areas when deciding where to live and also to avoid getting lost unneccessarily with two kids in tow!

If you are happy to recommend the one that you have bought would you please let me know the name and model so that we can look at this.

Thanks for your help

Julia
Hi Julia.... with pleasure..... Garmin c320 Street Pilot.... Buy one that operates with a touch screen (by finger) not the ones where you need a little pointer to touch the screen with... The're much better and more convenient... you can also upgrade the maps on the web if you need too..... Goodluck with the move
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cypry
Hi Julia.... with pleasure..... Garmin c320 Street Pilot.... Buy one that operates with a touch screen (by finger) not the ones where you need a little pointer to touch the screen with... The're much better and more convenient... you can also upgrade the maps on the web if you need too..... Goodluck with the move
sorry for delay in replying but getting ready for the move .. just wanted to say thanks for the info, will jot it down in my little filofax just in case we don't get back on internet straight away.

Julia
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Just adding my bit so i can get updates
I desperately want one when i get there.
Am i being ridiculous or if you bought it here, would you not have to buy some additional 'thingy'(very technical) out there to make it work
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Anyone got a navman pin 510??
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:19 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

hubbie got tom tom 300, does anybody know if you can get the aussie maps for this?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

I looked seriously at buying a Navman Pin for my business as I could use the PDA as well. I could see time/fuel saving benefits with such a device as well as the convenience.

My concern was the mapping software as I often use www.whereis.com.au for time/distance calcs. I found that 12 month old estates could not be found or it it default to some other dissimilar sounding street in an other suburb, far, far away.

As I understand it, the software is the same or similar for both the web and the devices.

I came to the conclusion that the novelty would wear off fairly quickly if there were any errors and the investment would end up cluttering the glove box.

If you drove in other cities frequently and for the UK/Europe I can see the benefits.

I just bought a new street directory $25.

The rest of the money I can put to use for other things.

WW

On an aside, during the first Gulf War, the Yanks "adjusted" their satellites to give themselves an advantage over the Skud missiles. At the same time trawlers along the Great Barrier Reef kept running aground on suddenly "uncharted" reefs .

I would wont to be driving over the Sydney Harbour Bridge and be told I should be 500m to the left! :scared:
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My Navman is great fun - but has wasted gallons (sorry, litres) of petrol taking me all over the place.

The problem is partly to do with the lack of decent mapping in Oz - ask TomTom, who told me last year that they would not sell the TomTom in Oz because of this.

But the programming also sends you up the garden path more often than I would expect - on one infamous occasion I went nearly 100km out of my way in West Sydney. Not unusual when mapreading, but I didn't expect to pay for the privilege!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:36 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got a navman pin 510??
I have Navman ICN510. Been an absolute godsend, as an external sales rep it was worth every penny i paid.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Hi Neil
You said download the Aussy maps Free? Can you tell us how and where as I am about to buy a sat nav and can't find any info on Aussy mapping.
Sorry I know the thread is old but I searched it and this took my fancy.

Sean
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

I use a fantastic system that works brilliant here, It costs nothing and is always reliably there. Its called the sun and buildings sat nav. As long as you know where the sun is and the relation of the skyscrapers and Q1 at Surfers paradise you cant go wrong.

To be serious though, I have had sat nav in cars when I was in the U.K for years and found them very useful. But over here the road systems and traffic are not as complex as the U.K so have never had the need to buy one. But looking at the prices some of you guys have paid, I might take a look at getting one as they look very cheap compared to the u.k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.