Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salt water pool maintenance...

Salt water pool maintenance...

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salt water pool maintenance...

Originally Posted by EvannTel

If you want give give a Terri a call and I can pop round or talk to you on the phone (being a chemist I'm anal about my pool chemistry - more than needs be!)
Thanks I may well do as we're also a bit stumped trying to get the vacuum to work

THanks for all the replies - could be the chlorinator as it was caked up and OH cleaned it sunday late afternoon... we've just had a new cell in it so shouldnt be on its way out. Also the water is warm (32 degrees usually) AND on Saturday we took the cover off so the rainwater could top it up a bit.

I've put some chlorine in and it's got rid of the green already (and a poor old frog I found floating this morning ) - hope it's ok for Xmas as it's the one day of the year I definitely want to be in the pool!!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:29 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I find adding buffer (pool sunscreen) helps to keep the chlorine level up in summer, it stops the sun breaking it down too quickly.

Originally Posted by bridie
Thanks I may well do as we're also a bit stumped trying to get the vacuum to work

THanks for all the replies - could be the chlorinator as it was caked up and OH cleaned it sunday late afternoon... we've just had a new cell in it so shouldnt be on its way out. Also the water is warm (32 degrees usually) AND on Saturday we took the cover off so the rainwater could top it up a bit.

I've put some chlorine in and it's got rid of the green already (and a poor old frog I found floating this morning ) - hope it's ok for Xmas as it's the one day of the year I definitely want to be in the pool!!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Ok - just remember that if you have too much chlorine in the pool when you add salt it can go green sometimes. Its not a problem, just a temporary thing until it settles down!

After our recent storms our pool was surprisingly still quite high in chlorine (despite LOTS of rain) - but had no salt in whatsoever. The pool guy told us to stabilise and add buffer, switch the chlorinator off for a day or 2 (with cover off to try and drop the chlorine levels) before adding salt. It worked a treat and we now have a crystal clear sparkling water, with good stable chlorine and pH levels and plenty of salt, at a pleasant 30C ready for the crowds decending on us on Thursday! (watch it rain tomorrow now I've said that! )
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:03 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I find adding buffer (pool sunscreen) helps to keep the chlorine level up in summer, it stops the sun breaking it down too quickly.
Buffer used for pH, it will be stabiliser you add as a sunscreen (usually isocyanuric acid if you read the label)

Originally Posted by DadAgain

After our recent storms our pool was surprisingly still quite high in chlorine (despite LOTS of rain) - but had no salt in whatsoever. The pool guy told us to stabilise and add buffer, switch the chlorinator off for a day or 2 (with cover off to try and drop the chlorine levels) before adding salt. It worked a treat and we now have a crystal clear sparkling water, with good stable chlorine and pH levels and plenty of salt, at a pleasant 30C ready for the crowds decending on us on Thursday! (watch it rain tomorrow now I've said that! )
Interesting as you cant make chlorine without salt so there must have been salt there! Glad it worked out for you though.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Vacuum now working (thanks David)

Evann: I'll give you a ring over the hols though as been meaning to invite you round for a coffee anyway! Have a lovely Christmas xx
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:56 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Vacuum now working (thanks David)
Just curious; what sort and what did you do to fix it?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 1:03 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes thats when I ment
Buffer used for pH, it will be stabiliser you add as a sunscreen (usually isocyanuric acid if you read the label)

Old Dec 24th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by worzel
Just curious; what sort and what did you do to fix it?
we just have the normal vacuum that connects to the pipe and you do it manually... no idea how it was fixed - the only thing I can think is he submerged the pipe in the water rather than using the blowers to blow the water in....

Have a good Christmas Worzel
Old Dec 24th 2008, 5:54 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

we just have the normal vacuum that connects to the pipe and you do it manually... no idea how it was fixed - the only thing I can think is he submerged the pipe in the water rather than using the blowers to blow the water in....

Have a good Christmas Worzel
Yeah, ours takes a couple of hours for the air to blow through before it gets effective.

Merry christmas to you too Bridie.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:04 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, ours takes a couple of hours for the air to blow through before it gets effective.

Merry christmas to you too Bridie.
Worzel,

If you can submerge the hose before hooking up to the pump suction (skimmer basket or port on the pool). This way the pump will pump water and suck almost straight away. The pumps are designed to pump water, not air, and running like you are causes the pump to cavitate - this will shorten the life of your pump.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:08 am
A former regular of BE

Worzel,

If you can submerge the hose before hooking up to the pump suction (skimmer basket or port on the pool). This way the pump will pump water and suck almost straight away. The pumps are designed to pump water, not air, and running like you are causes the pump to cavitate - this will shorten the life of your pump.
Yeah, I know. But it can be a right pain trying to submerge 10 metres of pipe that wants to float. I really ought to stand in the deep end on top of the pipe while the missus connects it but its not often I can be bothered.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:14 am
Devil's Advocate

Yeah, I know. But it can be a right pain trying to submerge 10 metres of pipe that wants to float. I really ought to stand in the deep end on top of the pipe while the missus connects it but its not often I can be bothered.
Nah there's an easy way!
  1. Fit hose to sucker end (Creepy Crawly, manual hoover end, whatever)
  2. Throw said end into pool (remember to keep hold of other end)
  3. Then feed hose downward into water - doesn't matter if it proceeds to float again as it will now be full of water.
  4. When at end of hose you should now see water in it
  5. Connect up
  6. Open stubby
  7. Sit back and drink
  8. Watch pool get clean!

Repeat steps 6 to 8 until satisfied
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Hold the hose over the return jet and blow the air out...takes 20 seconds
Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:54 am
A former regular of BE

Nah there's an easy way!
  1. Fit hose to sucker end (Creepy Crawly, manual hoover end, whatever)
  2. Throw said end into pool (remember to keep hold of other end)
  3. Then feed hose downward into water - doesn't matter if it proceeds to float again as it will now be full of water.
  4. When at end of hose you should now see water in it
  5. Connect up
  6. Open stubby
  7. Sit back and drink
  8. Watch pool get clean!

Repeat steps 6 to 8 until satisfied
I have done that in the past with only partial success (not the open stubby bit - I am very good at that)

Originally Posted by steveyp
Hold the hose over the return jet and blow the air out...takes 20 seconds
Now that does sound like a good idea. I will try that next time, thanks!
Old Dec 25th 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

...yet again our pool is green?!

Dont know why, yesterday it was clear as a bell, just added some salt and noticed it's got a green tinge to it... cant add chlorine or run the filter until the salt is dissolved.

Can anyone tell me in easy steps what I should be doing to make sure this doesnt happen again? I added some chlorine about 2 or 3 weeks ago... how often should I need to add it?

Thanks
try to figure out how big your pool is in litres and take a sample of water to a local (good) pool shop for testing, get all the stuff you need and add, give it a few days and test it again, remember you will need to add stablizer to prevent the chlorine burning off in the sun, backwash the filter weekly and keep it clean of leaves, pool maintenance is not a chore, did it for 6 years, easy, test chlorine weekly or after heavy rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.