Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary Question???

Wikiposts

Salary Question???

Old Aug 18th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary Question???

Good for you. As I said in my earlier post we took a bit of a pay cut and a move to Melbourne was a little into the unknown but we felt we could not turn down the chance. From time to time we get a little frustrated with the finances but we're a little more careful and with Spring & Summer approaching I know we did the right thing !

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Ozbound & Wife
To all who have replied to this question, a VERY BIG THANK YOU.

All advice has been noted and my apologies for all the minor arguments that seem to have evolved from it.

Having done some costings etc... it would seem, as many say that the cost of living is going to be on a par with the UK, what we gain here, we lose there and vice versa. The income issue is that we would be on a level with what we are in the UK because in a few months we will be losing an income anyway. To be honest, it is just as much of a worry to stay here as it is to emigrate. Everyone else seems to manage and on far less so I feel a little guilty even raising the question.

Finances aside, Brisbane seems to offer a whole lot more. Larger house...much needed, climate, activities, positive culture and a city thats on the up, developing, growing and growing in way that seems to have learnt from the mistakes of older cities elsewhere in the world.

As I'm a great believing in opportunities being there for the taking I feel I would regret no doing so.

I keep telling myself that if things are tight but manageable to start with then they will ease as things progress...assuming I don't get sacked that is!!!

However, I am still tearing my hair out and have given myself a cold...oh, we still need to break the news to the parents!!!!

Thanks again everyone, now all of you kiss and make up.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary Question???

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Don't confuse insults with home truths.

While I'm at it, will you please get this FX obsession out of your head. I don't know where you tried to get to grips with finance, but you did it with very slippery hands.

FX has nothing to do with affordability, the latter is purely to do with the net assets at an immigrant's disposal. A force multiplier is a military term, it has sod all to do with FX.

PS I didn't insult noone - I've never heard of the bloke....
Funny. I know it's a military expression - the military tend to label concrete ideas with their own names ofen with amusing consequences.

Home truths - I've been saying them for years too. I agreed with you.

FX obsession. I'm telling people to forget it too. I am still in agreement with you - net assets are important. If the FX rate increases your assets in a different market well...you'd understand that too:

"And it usually only has a one-off impact on immigrants with £ to spare"

So you agree. We agree.

A re-read required I think.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Aug 18th 2006 at 5:54 pm. Reason: Didn't get MS joke about insulting 'noone'