Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary Question???

Salary Question???

Old Aug 16th 2006, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Ozbound & Wife will become famous soon enough
Default Salary Question???

My wife and I are tearing our hair out as I have been offered a job in Brisbane. The salary is circa 100k AUSD, which initially sounded alot. However, we are having a baby in January and after reading other forums and cost of living calculators we are not so sure now.

It has all happened very quickly and although we have always wanted to emigrate to Oz, this is very sudden. Like 3 months from interview to arriving!! We never planned it like this and because of the baby coming I need to be sure we can survive.

Please can anyone put our minds at rest and let us know whether we should be comfortable on this salary for three of us.

Thank you.

Ozbound & Wife
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:37 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary Question???

Originally Posted by Ozbound & Wife
My wife and I are tearing our hair out as I have been offered a job in Brisbane. The salary is circa 100k AUSD, which initially sounded alot. However, we are having a baby in January and after reading other forums and cost of living calculators we are not so sure now.

It has all happened very quickly and although we have always wanted to emigrate to Oz, this is very sudden. Like 3 months from interview to arriving!! We never planned it like this and because of the baby coming I need to be sure we can survive.

Please can anyone put our minds at rest and let us know whether we should be comfortable on this salary for three of us.

Thank you.

Ozbound & Wife

We would be vey happy with that, especially i mortgage is relatively low and how no debts (car finance etc). Sounds great.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vernons
We would be vey happy with that, especially i mortgage is relatively low and how no debts (car finance etc). Sounds great.
That should be a very comfortable salary to live on. Cost of living in most areas is a lot cheaper. A rough guide I think is what we pay in the pound they pay in the dollarish sort of thing
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surfsup
That should be a very comfortable salary to live on. Cost of living in most areas is a lot cheaper. A rough guide I think is what we pay in the pound they pay in the dollarish sort of thing
You wish
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:52 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Decent salary for Brisbane - check if it is packaged (ie includes superannuation, still okay salary) or is plus superannuation (even better!)
Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:56 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Ozbound & Wife

You get a few 000's $ for having a baby born in Oz.
The cost is not that high while they are young
You will be fine with $100K
Try and get some assistance for relocation
Dont stress its a great opportunity for you
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people on here with more children and less money - you should be fine.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We have 2 small kids, a mortgage (soon!) and are on less than that. We manage.
Karen.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:05 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Ozbound & Wife

Mate if you cant "Manage" on that then you need to cut the credit cards up. The average wage is half of it and people "Manage" on that.

Take it and fly.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

You really have no idea lol

I hope you do a fair bit more research on Australia before you venture out there as if you think $1 will equate to anything like £1 you have a BIG shock coming :scared:
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Come out here thinking that & you will be in for a rude awakening. COL is roughly the same, maybe slightly less.

Last edited by Amazulu; Aug 17th 2006 at 2:35 am.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:47 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Yet another unban legend. This is total nonesense, the cost of living here, is very similar to the UK, from what I have noticed about the only thing that is cheaper is the price of meat....................and we are vegetarians
Cars are slightly cheaper here as is insurance, but your day to day stuff is more or less the same.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
You wish
Come on Grayling!

Whether it is enough is down to the individual. AUS100k is not low enough to reconsider migration or for scarcastic comments.

I'm not sure which bit of the posters comment you are criticising, maybe their comment on arriving at 'equivalent' costs but AUS100k is a good salary by anyone's standards.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of living in most areas is a lot cheaper. A rough guide I think is what we pay in the pound they pay in the dollarish sort of thing
living in cheltenham you know this how exactly?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Yet another unban legend. This is total nonesense, the cost of living here, is very similar to the UK, from what I have noticed about the only thing that is cheaper is the price of meat....................and we are vegetarians
Cars are slightly cheaper here as is insurance, but your day to day stuff is more or less the same.

Urban legend alright.
Meats not that cheap anymore either, good old aussie Tbone, $25 a kilo, if not on special, son did the shopping, got 5 t bones for tea and the meat value of 1 meal was around $45 Leg of lamb, sort of aussie staple, country built on the sheeps back, rah rah rah, normal price is around $14 a kilo. Nice salmon portion then $37 a kilo. The way stuff goes up here is incredible box of 100 teabags had a $2 price rise this week.

Rant over OP yes you could manage on $100,000 with one kid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.