Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

salary plus lack of Tax file number

salary plus lack of Tax file number

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default salary plus lack of Tax file number

I get paid on a fortnightly basis but will I have to apply for my tax file number upon arrival to australia?

Does this mean that I will not get paid until I have a tax file number???

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TFN

Apply online as soon as you get here -see earlier threads. You will be paid for one month at a lower rate without one - then taxed at teh full rate so it makes sense to get one asap
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TFN

Originally posted by jasonK944
Apply online as soon as you get here -see earlier threads. You will be paid for one month at a lower rate without one - then taxed at teh full rate so it makes sense to get one asap

What is the full rate
also is there different rates for different circumstances?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:58 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: TFN

Originally posted by jasonK944
Even if you do pay too much tax at first, you will get the overpayment back at the end of the financial year, June 30, once you do your tax return.

The PAYE system here is not the same as UK, just about everyone has the standard rate of tax deducted, with the standard threshold.