Salary in Perth

Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:23 am
Just Joined

jeffrey64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salary in Perth

Originally Posted by ollyfinn
Just had first stage interview today and got some more details about package. Job comes with 10% super annuation (not out of salary), $1000 per year in shares, approx $10000 per year overtime, 4 on/4off shift pattern with 5 weeks holiday, initial salary of $95500 which should rise after 6 months and reach $115000 within two years. Also a bonus scheme. Collective bargaining agreement secured a 5% pay rise recently, not sure how this compares to pay rises in the energy industry?

Olly
Hi Olly you must be in for the same position as myself and John who has previously replied to you.
They are looking for 5 operators this time around and they interviewed about 30 people in total for this role. I had my interview in London and I think there were only 2 of us interviewed.
The figures you quote are similar to what I was told and you will live comfortably on the wages. The average salary in Western Australia is 65,000 dollars so your package is worth double that amount.
The company will let applicants know if they have made it to the second interview on the 10th of Jan and invite them down around a week later for the interview.
I think that on a 457 visa we will have to rent a property first and have you given any thought to where you might live? I am looking at areas south of the plant as far down as Mandurah.
Anyway good luck and PM me if you want to discuss anything.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Why move when your girlfriend is pregnant? She is going to need a support network when that baby comes along. Moving while she is pregnant isn't giving her much time to build one here. Is this your first child? If so I don't think either of you realise how hard it will be emotionally.
How incredibly patronizing
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffrey64
The figures you quote are similar to what I was told and you will live comfortably on the wages. The average salary in Western Australia is 65,000 dollars so your package is worth double that amount.
While this may be true statistically be very careful what conclusions you draw from it. You certainly can live comfortably - depending on your expectations and spending habits.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

ollyfinn is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as it is enough to support my family and live comfortably then that will be good enough for me. My girlfriend will be looking to return to work in the future so finances should only improve. If successful I am not coming over to Australia with a view that the streets are paved with gold and I can live the high life.

I have worked in the oil and gas industry for a number of years and opportunities I have been offered in the Middle East would be the route to take for more money. It is a move for lifestyle and opportunities I am seeking.

Olly
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

The company will let applicants know if they have made it to the second interview on the 10th of Jan and invite them down around a week later for the interview.
I think that on a 457 visa we will have to rent a property first and have you given any thought to where you might live? I am looking at areas south of the plant as far down as Mandurah.
Anyway good luck and PM me if you want to discuss anything.
Hi Jeffrey,

That's pretty much all the info I got as well. Think there was about 15 interviewed in Manchester, rest must be made up from Aberdeen.

There was a bit of confusion about whether visa was on offer for girlfriends or if it was just wives. Haven't rechecked on net yet but sure I read partners were allowed a 457 visa as long as evidence could be proved of a relationship e.g. Joint utility bills, bank accounts, etc.

Not looked into housing areas in great detail yet but they advised to live south of the plant for easier commuting. I was told a 4 bed/2 bath house could be rented for approx $400 per week but not sure what area they meant as when I had a quick look at some they were more like $600 for that size property.

Olly
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:01 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamiefrod
How incredibly patronizing
Unless your a woman that has given birth in a foreign country, I'll ignore that remark.
The OP asked for all opinions, I gave mine.

Most women when they have their first babies find it a very traumatic and an emotional experience the degree of that obviously varies between women, combine all the usual feelings with just arriving in a new country without support it could be very upsetting for some if not most.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EvannTel
While this may be true statistically be very careful what conclusions you draw from it. You certainly can live comfortably - depending on your expectations and spending habits.
I agree with what you say but surely twice the average pay would give at least a comfortable lifestyle to the average family.If on the other hand your spending habits are such that you are twice as materialistic as the average person then you would not be so comfortable.
I think that we all get carried away with the subject of wages but its sometimes more important to live within your means.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Kelli,

Appreciate your input. It is probably the only thing in the column for reasons for not moving. It would make a big move even more emotionally challenging but on the other hand to turn down an opportunity which might greatly benefit my childs quality of life in the future is also a difficult thing to do.

As a mother in Australia how do you find it as a place to raise children? Also if you gave birth in Australia what are maternity facilities/midwives etc like compared to the UK? Is any special medical insurance required?

Olly
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Unless your a woman that has given birth in a foreign country, I'll ignore that remark.
The OP asked for all opinions, I gave mine.

Most women when they have their first babies find it a very traumatic and an emotional experience the degree of that obviously varies between women, combine all the usual feelings with just arriving in a new country without support it could be very upsetting for some if not most.

I agree it wasn't patronising at all, it was realistic.. I'd never want to raise a baby alone never mind in a new foreign country. Would be terribly stressful. Luckily we've got our three already. No more planned yet (ever).
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jeffrey,

That's pretty much all the info I got as well. Think there was about 15 interviewed in Manchester, rest must be made up from Aberdeen.

There was a bit of confusion about whether visa was on offer for girlfriends or if it was just wives. Haven't rechecked on net yet but sure I read partners were allowed a 457 visa as long as evidence could be proved of a relationship e.g. Joint utility bills, bank accounts, etc.

Not looked into housing areas in great detail yet but they advised to live south of the plant for easier commuting. I was told a 4 bed/2 bath house could be rented for approx $400 per week but not sure what area they meant as when I had a quick look at some they were more like $600 for that size property.

Olly
Hi Olly
Having only the internet and forums for guidance, I have tried researching housing and South of the river was always going to be my choice. I would not personally live near the Kwinana plant because the area is full of heavy polluting industries and I would question the air quality. Anywhere South of the plant on the coast offers good direct road links to Kwinana and during my interview I was told that some staff live as far South as Mandurah so there is a good selection of areas available if you do decide to move South.
I know you cannot totally be sure of any area until you see it for yourself but I would have thought that there must be several places that would fit the bill between Kwinana and Mandurah so I would be confident of finding something suitable.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:07 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Kelli,

Appreciate your input. It is probably the only thing in the column for reasons for not moving. It would make a big move even more emotionally challenging but on the other hand to turn down an opportunity which might greatly benefit my childs quality of life in the future is also a difficult thing to do.

As a mother in Australia how do you find it as a place to raise children? Also if you gave birth in Australia what are maternity facilities/midwives etc like compared to the UK? Is any special medical insurance required?

Olly
I give birth in the UK and that was traumatic enough.

We have been here a number of yrs now so my son is an Aussie, the only positives I can give on bringing kids up here compared to the uk is that they remain kids for longer, it's easier to get them off the computer and do outdoor activities, camping, swimming, fishing ect. The negatives are often it's too hot to go out for long I worry about the effects of the sun too much. I noticed after living in CQ or a while that a lot of auzzies have terrible leather skin and clouded eyes after yrs of living in the sun, something I don't see so much in the highly populated pommie areas. another negative is living in the larger city areas it's not so easy for older children to get about visiting friends ect I have to drive him every where, not something you'd need to worry about or a while.

As for midwifes ect I'm not the person to ask I vaguely remember friends needing to book in and as for insurance best to get it if you can.

Good luck, whatever you decide, you have some tough decisions to make I'm sure you'll do whatever you think best for your family.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Olly
Having only the internet and forums for guidance, I have tried researching housing and South of the river was always going to be my choice. I would not personally live near the Kwinana plant because the area is full of heavy polluting industries and I would question the air quality. Anywhere South of the plant on the coast offers good direct road links to Kwinana and during my interview I was told that some staff live as far South as Mandurah so there is a good selection of areas available if you do decide to move South.
I know you cannot totally be sure of any area until you see it for yourself but I would have thought that there must be several places that would fit the bill between Kwinana and Mandurah so I would be confident of finding something suitable.
Shockingham is nice... If you choose the right burb in it....

As for the polluting... You can smell smoke from bush fires 70 miles away some days... Polautants must travel as far and further...

I wouldnt choose kwinana for other reeasons... Tho it looks ok and I have friends there... They just dont go out at night, thats all....
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eddie007
Shockingham is nice... If you choose the right burb in it....

As for the polluting... You can smell smoke from bush fires 70 miles away some days... Polautants must travel as far and further...

I wouldnt choose kwinana for other reeasons... Tho it looks ok and I have friends there... They just dont go out at night, thats all....
Eddie can you advise on any good areas South of Kwinana down to Mandruah? From your reply you give the impression that Kwinana is a rough area after dark so is this the case?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:12 am
Just Joined

stellamonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jeffrey,

Olly
Hi olly and jeff,
Just my interview in Aberdeen, yesterday, and there was only 4 of us at the presentation at the end of the day, don't know if they interviewed more and did'nt go to the presentation.
I was told all the same as you working through levels 1-3 and the superan, waiting to hear today for the second interview did any of you guys ask how they would contact you today if it was by email of phone.
All the very best of luck to you both.

Darren
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Hi, I was told they would let me know on Tuesday and would be contacted by Lauren , trouble is Lauren has finished work in Australia @ 9 am our time so its unlikely that she would contact us untill shes back in her office which will be 11 pm our time @ the earliest tonight .Please let me know anything either way if they contact you . Good luck Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.