Salary in Perth

Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary in Perth

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Ah, I see ,so the kids just coming out of apprenticeships now and renting in Rockingham and surrounds all bought years ago.The ones that became tradesmen over the last 3 or 4 years all bought years ago?
Either dual incomes or are coining it.

I just can't see how anyone earning 60 grand (and without significant equity to help buy a house) could afford to live here. Renting is going to cost about $1500 a month so that would leave about $1800 plus whatever family tax benefit you'd get for the kids.

Why come to Australia to be on struggle street?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

The average wage in Perth is around 60K so a lot of people must be getting by on it.. .

Don't forget that this is not the household income. Does anyone have figures for this? I'd have thought about $100K.

(Sorry just seen the rest of the thread!)

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Jun 2nd 2008 at 2:10 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
These people are ones who bought years ago or are renting in dodgy suburbs.

I can't see how, or more importantly why anyone would want to come here without any equity and struggle on 60 grand a year. It would be enough to make you slit your wrists.
Absolutely - we're on more than that and I despair sometimes.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:31 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
If I was in your position I would rent. We have been renting since we arrived in Sep 2006 and it is the best thing we could have done. We live in a beautiful house in a fantastic spot, we couldn't afford to buy this house but we are enjoying a great lifestyle living in this great house while the landlord pays for the gardener, house insurance, rates, water rates, half the water consumption and all maintenece and repairs. Many of our friends arrived 2005/2006 and rushed into buying. Some of them are now in the situation where they have realised that the area is not for them or they have found houses they prefer but are in negative equity and are unable to move or simply cannot sell. Just take your time and find somewhere you like. It is not the end of the world if you have to rent for a couple of years until you are both working and are able to find somewhere you like.
great advice I reckon. I would also rent for 2yrs on arrival, and I reckon that you'll see house prices drop significantly in that period. Another 2 or 3 rate rises, or even just one of 0.5%, will see a massive number of investment properties go on the market.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:39 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the banks are finally understanding that they cannot continue to lend the amounts they were. We had a joint income of $120K (4 years ago when we arrived) and we were offered $750K by the Commonwealth! after I had stopped laughing in his face (this took over a minute before I realised he was serious) we borrowed $250K.

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
You would never be able to survive on 80k with a 300k mortgage, me and my wife are on over 120k combined and we have been told we can only borrow 300k in the current climate.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markallwood
great advice I reckon. I would also rent for 2yrs on arrival, and I reckon that you'll see house prices drop significantly in that period. Another 2 or 3 rate rises, or even just one of 0.5%, will see a massive number of investment properties go on the market.
Exactly what we are doing, been house sitting & renting for last 12 months. Will continue to do so until things are more certain. Trouble we have is we still have a Uk property to sell at some stage. Rented out for now so mortgage is covered
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Hi Kay,
I am looking at moving over next year and providing that I can obtain a teaching job, I will only be on 60k. I have a wife and three young children but hope to have a morgage of 200k. Have you been before?
Alan
Hi Alan,

We have been to australia - but never to Perth. We have about £30000.00 to take with us and would probaby rent to start with. (if we went) we are just a bit scared with all the feed back about cost of living.

How old are you children? Which visa are you going on?

Thanks,
Kay
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:46 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Where the hell do you shop? We are finding clothes out here horiffically expensive and much worse quality that the UK too....

Case in point I bought a G Star hoody in Perth and it was $180, went back to the UK and bought a Bench one (what I would consider a comparable brand) for 40 pounds.

Decent jeans in Perth are about $120-150, jeans in the UK are 30 quid in Next including a belt.

The missus is finding the same, a work "top" over here is about $70, in the UK would be 15-20 quid max. Boots and shoes dont even go there.

Food is definitely more expensive for us and we are watching what we buy and only buying in season and are shopping at the local butchers and fruit shop which is a lot cheaper than coles and woolies - the quality isnt a patch on what you would get in the UK either which is a disappointment considering they stick "local" produce down your throats all the time.

As for bills our first electric bill was $170 for a month but we did arrive when it was 40+ and the aircon was on more or less 24/7. Just got our water bill and that was $160 for 3 months which isnt too bad.

It baffles me when people say its cheaper here, if you like stuff to a comparable standard to what you had in the UK then its been way more expensive in our experience.

But its still great
go to carousel shopping centre the other day levi,s where on special at myers from $60.You gotta be carefull in perth but if you shop around you can get bargains ,avoid the chinese crap if you can
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Im slightly worried about the cost of living too, we will be arriving with around £25000, we have 2 small children aged 7 & 3. Husband is a bricklayer, im hoping to do some kind of youth/community work (il do anything if not! admin,reception etc). What are the job prospects and avg earning for these types of jobs???
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive my ignorance, but when referring to income ie $60k etc etc
do people mean gross or take home?
When we arrive in August I'll be on $60k, plus eventually some shift allowance.
Mrs geordiebloke will be working about 30 hrs per week as a nurse, not sure
what she'll be getting paid for these hours, maybe $40k.
We will be renting as we're not selling our house in the UK yet.
Not sure how we're going to manage after reading some of this?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Hi,

I was talking about $60k gross.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Gross. You should be okay on $100k between you.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
We have two young children and one salary. We live in a nice house ($450/wk rent) but don't eat out or drive flashy cars and we get by on $100k gross salary - not living poorly but hardly the high life either!!
Thanks I thought it would be about that which I will probably no earn so it looks like the wife will have to get ajob after 7 years of "easy living" as a housewife lol
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Either dual incomes or are coining it.

I just can't see how anyone earning 60 grand (and without significant equity to help buy a house) could afford to live here. Renting is going to cost about $1500 a month so that would leave about $1800 plus whatever family tax benefit you'd get for the kids.

Why come to Australia to be on struggle street?
I asked a young lad at work yesterday,he'll be around the 28 mark.He has 2 children and his wife does not work.For some reason everybody says they get nothing from the govt for children.After a bit of cajoling he said just over $300 a month in child benefits.

He smokes,don't know if his wife does.He would be earning anywhere between 55 and 60K a year as he likes a day off regularly,but usually works 5 hrs on saturday morning.I would think his nett wage would be between $800 and $900 a week.

He rents a house in Rockingham for $250 a week,he drives a 8 or 9 yr old Barina.Say he has $600 a week left after paying rent,then the welfare payments on top of that.

He says he gets along no problem,never short of money,also never a fortune left at the end of the week either.

All over the world people get by on average wages,to improve their lifestyle the partner can work part time or full time.Why would people not get by on average wages in OZ?

Do people get by on average wages in the UK ,or is everybody making a fortune and there are no low paid or average wage jobs?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:47 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a young lad at work yesterday,he'll be around the 28 mark.He has 2 children and his wife does not work.For some reason everybody says they get nothing from the govt for children.After a bit of cajoling he said just over $300 a month in child benefits.

He smokes,don't know if his wife does.He would be earning anywhere between 55 and 60K a year as he likes a day off regularly,but usually works 5 hrs on saturday morning.I would think his nett wage would be between $800 and $900 a week.

He rents a house in Rockingham for $250 a week,he drives a 8 or 9 yr old Barina.Say he has $600 a week left after paying rent,then the welfare payments on top of that.

He says he gets along no problem,never short of money,also never a fortune left at the end of the week either.

All over the world people get by on average wages,to improve their lifestyle the partner can work part time or full time.Why would people not get by on average wages in OZ?

Do people get by on average wages in the UK ,or is everybody making a fortune and there are no low paid or average wage jobs?
I don't dispute what this bloke said to you. You are always spot on with things financial however a house in Rockingham for $250 a week? - it has to be a total shithole surrounded by bogans.

I go back to my earlier point, why come to live in Perth if you are going to have to live in a $250 a week house in "the swinging pig". This would only represent a "step up" if you were coming from Moss Side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.