Salary in Perth

Old May 30th 2008, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salary in Perth

Sorry cannot think of anything other than Bread, which is more expensive over here. My wife has just been back to England and has been shocked by the prices. Things that are cheaper here - petrol, most food, clothes except socks!, rates, water rates, electrical goods, gas bill, lots more. I've just been to Target this afternoon to buy my daughter a digital camera. Got one - Kodak - that also comes with the docking printer as well for $42 thats 20 quid!! The bargains out here sometimes are incredible. Never buy anything like that though on a Weds, cos it will always be less on a Thursday!!
Old May 30th 2008, 3:59 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hmm - I have some thinking to do because while my OH was retraining (2 yrs) we would only be earning about $60,000.
I'd be willing to tighten my belt for 2 years if I thought things would improve once we were both working but if a joint income of $120,000 means you can only borrow $300,000 then it just doesn't seem worth it.
Hi Kapri,

You have to shop around to see what you can borrow. We are building a house and we were assured by our bank that we could have the money to build the house based on our income, our plans and the land which we bought with a small mortgage with them. Based on that information we went ahead and signed the building contract. When it was time to get the ball rolling we had the valuation done and the bank valued our package at $260,000 less than our estimate which was based on how much it is costing us to build. We panicked a bit and tried Bankwest who valued it at $50,000 more than it is costing us to build. Both banks assured us that we could easily service the loan but clearly had different valuation criteria. That is a huge range and for us it meant the difference between being able to build our house and being stuck with a houseless bit of land and a huge bill from the builder for costs and loss of profit.

I know two other people who have tried to buy established homes and have been refused the money based on the valuations eventhough they could both easily service their loans. I am beginning to think that Bankwest know something we don't as they both went to BW and got their loans approved. I guess if some banks are basing the valuation on the current market I can understand why they are being so cautious.

It is really hard to know how much you will be able to borrow until you find something you like and get the valuation done. However, you will know very soon after you arrive how much you will be able to afford.

If I was in your position I would rent. We have been renting since we arrived in Sep 2006 and it is the best thing we could have done. We live in a beautiful house in a fantastic spot, we couldn't afford to buy this house but we are enjoying a great lifestyle living in this great house while the landlord pays for the gardener, house insurance, rates, water rates, half the water consumption and all maintenece and repairs. Many of our friends arrived 2005/2006 and rushed into buying. Some of them are now in the situation where they have realised that the area is not for them or they have found houses they prefer but are in negative equity and are unable to move or simply cannot sell. Just take your time and find somewhere you like. It is not the end of the world if you have to rent for a couple of years until you are both working and are able to find somewhere you like.

Best of luck
Old May 31st 2008, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Georgina H will become famous soon enoughGeorgina H will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Davey n Di
Just reading this thread and now having a total panic attack

We're going to Perth (August hopefully) on a 457 visa, I'll be earning $52k + super, OH will get a job once he gets there. He's an Agi Driver, hoping to try and get a job in the mines.

We have 2 kids and are looking at the Northern suburbs. We hope to be bringing $100k with us (maybe a bit less by the time we pay off everything).

Just hope we will be able to survive!!??

Di
Not trying to make you feel negative about it all but until your OH gets a job you will need to really watch what you spend. One tip I can give you is to not buy fruit and veg from the supermarkets, its very expensive and not very good quality, usually supermarkets are in shopping centres like carousel, garden city etc and they have fruit and veg shops which sell at a fraction of the price. Or go to markets for your food.

Just keep an eye on the pennies and be aware before you go that its going to be more expensive.
Old May 31st 2008, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lele.juggins
Sorry cannot think of anything other than Bread, which is more expensive over here. My wife has just been back to England and has been shocked by the prices. Things that are cheaper here - petrol, most food, clothes except socks!, rates, water rates, electrical goods, gas bill, lots more. I've just been to Target this afternoon to buy my daughter a digital camera. Got one - Kodak - that also comes with the docking printer as well for $42 thats 20 quid!! The bargains out here sometimes are incredible. Never buy anything like that though on a Weds, cos it will always be less on a Thursday!!
Sorry but without trying to sound argumentative I wholeheartedly disagree. Petrol yes i'll give you that one but food, alcohol, clothes, DVD's, Music, Electronics and bills are way more expensive over here in our experience. If anyone can tell me where to buy these things cheaper than the UK then please step up because im dying to save us some money!

Congratulations on the good deal on the camera, though, sure I could find you something more than comparable using UK websites.

At the end of the day it depends what you buy and what standard you expect but like for like I firmly stand by my guns that Australia is substantially more expensive to live in than the UK but we could go on with this discussion forever couldnt we

Originally Posted by ACE
It is not the end of the world if you have to rent for a couple of years until you are both working and are able to find somewhere you like.
Agreed, we are leaving our UK house sale cash in the bank over here and renting for the foreseeable future.
Old May 31st 2008, 2:19 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Where the hell do you shop? We are finding clothes out here horiffically expensive and much worse quality that the UK too....
I agree that top notch stuff is expensive. But if you don't mind shopping in Kmart, Big W or Target the ordinary stuff is dirt cheap. Probably something to do with proximity to China. I can get a work shirt for about $15 - it doesn't have a posh label but the quality is fine.
Old May 31st 2008, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point

I still believe clothes are generaaly cheaper here, you just need to shop around. Mind you I cannot see the atraction of a label. nor the need to pay over the odds to get it. Even if you like to spend like that on clothes, then the savings on petrol, rates, water rates etc would I hope more than cover such expense - I would hope.
Old May 31st 2008, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that it depends on what cars e.t.c you want to drive and if you want the latest gadgets e.t.c so the salary question is difficult because it is subjective.

Btw can anyone tell me what they are actually living on with 2 children and I mean living a very average lifestyle not eating out all the time and spending lot's on luxries but not living poorly either. I know it is a sensitive subject for some but I would be interested as we arrive in August. I have tried to work it out but until you are there paying your way I don't think you can.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KayC
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to live on a salary of $60,000 + super in Perth. We wouldn't need to live right in Perth but within commutable distance, say 30 mins to 1 hour away.

We are a family of 3 with 10 month old baby.

Many Thanks for any input.

KayC
The average wage in Perth is around 60K so a lot of people must be getting by on it.. To somebody earning 40K a year it would be a fortune.According to little johnnys govt anyone in a family earning 60k is tax free,they get all their tax back through various welfare payments.Tax cuts come in in july and they would give you around $100 a month extra.

Live close to a railway line and I think you can get weekly or monthly passes which would be cheap.An old runabout would be cheap for the shopping,reasonable cars can be bought for 2K and traded in 2 yrs later for 3 or 400 on another 2K car until you get established.

Clothes are very cheap at target and K mart etc.The cook and I buy all clothes in Thailand and K mart and Target are not much more expensive than that.Of course the Thai clothes do have the labels on them so we can pose.

Where there is a will there is always a way.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
The average wage in Perth is around 60K so a lot of people must be getting by on it..
These people are ones who bought years ago or are renting in dodgy suburbs.

I can't see how, or more importantly why anyone would want to come here without any equity and struggle on 60 grand a year. It would be enough to make you slit your wrists.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Georgina H
I work in Welshpool and last night I had to travel to South Perth to get some Pancetta which cost me $10! £1.60 in sainsburys in the UK.
Can I ask when the pancetta was £1.60 in sainburys?

I'm a full-time student with my head in books when I'm not on BE. For the first time in several months, last week I really looked at the price of groceries. I was in Tesco. The starting price for pancetta was well over £2, closer to £4 for a brand name. (And a single capsicum cost 99p!) I was actually quite shocked at how much prices have increased since Christmas.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
These people are ones who bought years ago or are renting in dodgy suburbs.

I can't see how, or more importantly why anyone would want to come here without any equity and struggle on 60 grand a year. It would be enough to make you slit your wrists.
Ah, I see ,so the kids just coming out of apprenticeships now and renting in Rockingham and surrounds all bought years ago.The ones that became tradesmen over the last 3 or 4 years all bought years ago?
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:20 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
The average wage in Perth is around 60K so a lot of people must be getting by on it.
I doubt the average income is still $60K, I heard that a couple of years ago - Maybe $65-70K now? The average family income must be about $20K higher again with many families having a second earner.

If I had to guess I would also say that the average immigrant family tips the $100K mark because the majority of us had to have a high-level of skill to get in in the first place which usually helps with the salary. Some tradies do seem to struggle to be accepted / have qualifications recognised (while others thrive???) but professionals, engineers etc, can earn mega-bucks which must push the average up.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KayC
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to live on a salary of $60,000 + super in Perth. We wouldn't need to live right in Perth but within commutable distance, say 30 mins to 1 hour away.

We are a family of 3 with 10 month old baby.

Many Thanks for any input.

KayC
Hi Kay,
I am looking at moving over next year and providing that I can obtain a teaching job, I will only be on 60k. I have a wife and three young children but hope to have a morgage of 200k. Have you been before?
Alan
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
I think that it depends on what cars e.t.c you want to drive and if you want the latest gadgets e.t.c so the salary question is difficult because it is subjective.

Btw can anyone tell me what they are actually living on with 2 children and I mean living a very average lifestyle not eating out all the time and spending lot's on luxries but not living poorly either. I know it is a sensitive subject for some but I would be interested as we arrive in August. I have tried to work it out but until you are there paying your way I don't think you can.
We have two young children and one salary. We live in a nice house ($450/wk rent) but don't eat out or drive flashy cars and we get by on $100k gross salary - not living poorly but hardly the high life either!!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worzel
I doubt the average income is still $60K, I heard that a couple of years ago - Maybe $65-70K now? The average family income must be about $20K higher again with many families having a second earner.

If I had to guess I would also say that the average immigrant family tips the $100K mark because the majority of us had to have a high-level of skill to get in in the first place which usually helps with the salary. Some tradies do seem to struggle to be accepted / have qualifications recognised (while others thrive???) but professionals, engineers etc, can earn mega-bucks which must push the average up.
I think those figures are from around 1 or 2 months ago,in the west aust so could be faulty.WA had the highest average WOTE in OZ.Probably bureau of stats would give figures,or RBA.Averages are always dodgy though.

I would agree that the average household income would be 100K or more when 2 people are working,I think it was just over 100K the last figures I saw.

There are a lot of low paid jobs,the guy that takes away your bin and such get around 40K a year.For metalwork trades the start would probably be around 50K but they are all working O/T and would be on 70- 80K a year without working away.

Just looking at the west there are a lot of $20 an hour jobs,cleaners and night fill staff at coles etc.

Starting on average wages no matter where you (pl) live can be a struggle and then gets easier as you get older and children grow up etc.Everybody has to start somewhere.The 150k a year means test for benefits puts you in the top 3% of earners according to the budget papers so there are a lot of people earning a lot less than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.