Salary in Perth

Old May 30th 2008, 8:57 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary in Perth

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hmm - I have some thinking to do because while my OH was retraining (2 yrs) we would only be earning about $60,000.
I'd be willing to tighten my belt for 2 years if I thought things would improve once we were both working but if a joint income of $120,000 means you can only borrow $300,000 then it just doesn't seem worth it.
Don't make decisions just on what people say ... check the facts first. Have a look at a few bank websites and use their "borrowing power calculator" to find out how much you can borrow.

Here is the one from BankWest: http://www.bankwest.com.au/Personal/...ors/index.aspx

Westpac and other banks have those on their websites as well.

When you use the calculators be conservative and assume that your net salary will be 70% of your gross salary. That way you end up with realistic numbers.

Also, remember that with two children and on a low income you'll get quite a bit in family benefit (Oz version of child benefit).

Gina
Old May 30th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Where the hell do you shop? We are finding clothes out here horiffically expensive and much worse quality that the UK too....

Case in point I bought a G Star hoody in Perth and it was $180, went back to the UK and bought a Bench one (what I would consider a comparable brand) for 40 pounds.

Decent jeans in Perth are about $120-150, jeans in the UK are 30 quid in Next including a belt.

The missus is finding the same, a work "top" over here is about $70, in the UK would be 15-20 quid max. Boots and shoes dont even go there.

Food is definitely more expensive for us and we are watching what we buy and only buying in season and are shopping at the local butchers and fruit shop which is a lot cheaper than coles and woolies - the quality isnt a patch on what you would get in the UK either which is a disappointment considering they stick "local" produce down your throats all the time.

As for bills our first electric bill was $170 for a month but we did arrive when it was 40+ and the aircon was on more or less 24/7. Just got our water bill and that was $160 for 3 months which isnt too bad.

It baffles me when people say its cheaper here, if you like stuff to a comparable standard to what you had in the UK then its been way more expensive in our experience.

But its still great
I normally use the city centre stores for my clothes, spending most of my money the surf shops as the type of stuff I like such as West/Quicksilver T-shirt and dress shirts are much cheaper in Perth. I also found stuff like cargo pants, long shorts etc much cheaper, all the things I like mostly. I also found suits out there cheaper, Amanda got a few pairs of jeans etc. I still have some of the t-shirts and jeans I bought from OZ 4 years ago that I still wear to go out as shey still look new. In the uk I would normaly spend about £60-£80 on a pair of jeans, or £60-£80 on a shirt to try and give some comparison.

As for shopping I used to use Kingsway shopping centre for food, or the bread shop and local butcher in kingsley and some times the Kingsley IGA I think it is called now for fruit and veg. And never was I disapointed at the quality.

I think we could go on comparing prices and quality all day, it comes down to what your used I think.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:39 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Don't make decisions just on what people say ... check the facts first. Have a look at a few bank websites and use their "borrowing power calculator" to find out how much you can borrow.

Here is the one from BankWest: http://www.bankwest.com.au/Personal/...ors/index.aspx

Westpac and other banks have those on their websites as well.

When you use the calculators be conservative and assume that your net salary will be 70% of your gross salary. That way you end up with realistic numbers.

Also, remember that with two children and on a low income you'll get quite a bit in family benefit (Oz version of child benefit).

Gina
Thanks Gina

I used that calculator and put in what I thought would be a conservative estimate of joint income $2500 per fortnight with $200 car loan and $200 credit card bill and it still said we could borrow $400,000.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Thanks Gina

I used that calculator and put in what I thought would be a conservative estimate of joint income $2500 per fortnight with $200 car loan and $200 credit card bill and it still said we could borrow $400,000.
Did you look at what the repayments would be? Bearing in mind the interest rate is sat at over 9% at the moment.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:09 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Did you look at what the repayments would be? Bearing in mind the interest rate is sat at over 9% at the moment.
Good point!

Repayments - $3,300 monthly (so $1650 fortnightly) - That's one complete wage plus the interest rate was set at 6.65%
Old May 30th 2008, 10:13 am
Happy migrant

Good point!

Repayments - $3,300 monthly (so $1650 fortnightly) - That's one complete wage plus the interest rate was set at 6.65%
I'd want a bloody good house for that but I don't think I'd be getting a 4 x 2 in a great area for $400 - $450,000
Old May 30th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Yep, try putting it to 9-9.5 and then see what happens - then up it a bit for the forecasted two interest rate hikes due this year

As Gina said please dont base your decision on what one person says but do some serious realistic sums based on the situation out here - we arent finding it easy at all and we are a couple on double what you would be earning at first.

If you can get 120k then you could rent somwhere but you will really struggle to buy something other than a 1 bed apartment and im sure thats not the dream you are expecting.

In my opinion its much better to come here knowing what the situation is from the off rather than coming over with a dream and knowing you cant get anywhere near what you want.

Last edited by ianhutch1; May 30th 2008 at 10:16 am.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd want a bloody good house for that but I don't think I'd be getting a 4 x 2 in a great area for $400 - $450,000
We've just looked at a very nice 4x2 on a 760m2 lot with reverse cycle air con and a pool...Asking $439k in Clarkson. Our mortgage payments will be my entire paycheque every week, but it's a nice place and we think it's a nice enough suburb.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:19 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We've just looked at a very nice 4x2 on a 760m2 lot with reverse cycle air con and a pool...Asking $439k in Clarkson. Our mortgage payments will be my entire paycheque every week, but it's a nice place and we think it's a nice enough suburb.
That's good to know! I don't mind paying my salary and living on the other one provided the house is great and the location isn't the pits

Where is Clarkson? Is it commutable to central Perth?
Old May 30th 2008, 10:21 am
Happy migrant

Yep, try putting it to 9-9.5 and then see what happens - then up it a bit for the forecasted two interest rate hikes due this year

As Gina said please dont base your decision on what one person says but do some serious realistic sums based on the situation out here - we arent finding it easy at all and we are a couple on double what you would be earning at first.

If you can get 120k then you could rent somwhere but you will really struggle to buy something other than a 1 bed apartment and im sure thats not the dream you are expecting.

In my opinion its much better to come here knowing what the situation is from the off rather than coming over with a dream and knowing you cant get anywhere near what you want.
You are quite right. I will be doing extensive research because I don't want to end up on the breadline.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know! I don't mind paying my salary and living on the other one provided the house is great and the location isn't the pits

It's the north end of the north/south train line, about 35 min. ride. I commute by car because I work in the Western suburbs and it takes me about 45 min each way. I drive down the coast road, so it's at least a nice commute.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

45 mins away on a good day
Old May 30th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Georgina H will become famous soon enoughGeorgina H will become famous soon enough

As Ian has said, its very, very expensive here. We have found it hard, I also get annoyed because the clothes are not only expensive, but no where near as good quality and not as much choice, the same goes with food. I work in Welshpool and last night I had to travel to South Perth to get some Pancetta which cost me $10! £1.60 in sainsburys in the UK.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Davey n Di is an unknown quantity at this point

Just reading this thread and now having a total panic attack

We're going to Perth (August hopefully) on a 457 visa, I'll be earning $52k + super, OH will get a job once he gets there. He's an Agi Driver, hoping to try and get a job in the mines.

We have 2 kids and are looking at the Northern suburbs. We hope to be bringing $100k with us (maybe a bit less by the time we pay off everything).

Just hope we will be able to survive!!??

Di
Old May 30th 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I was wondering....could any of you (a couple) live on $55,000 a year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.