Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

salary packaging is it worth it?

salary packaging is it worth it?

Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:44 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: salary packaging is it worth it?

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
.....a couple of days at the conference and few weeks holiday at the same time!!
Therefore the ATO would view personal/business in same proportion.

Guy at work has just been stung FBT for 6 week joint to US - spent 2 days at conference and rest of time with family crossing west to east coasts. ATO audit established the trip was not fully business and therefore personal element subject to FBT. As he and family were flown first class it was a whopping big shock.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Didnt know about the Grocery aspect, I'll check that out. If that turns out to be correct, and I'm slightly suss on that one, we will max the card limit for that aspect.

Is anyone else on here claiming groceries for entertaining ? Is my first question.... hopefully the answer is yes and you've found a loophole

However you can entertain your family, by that I mean your Husband and Kids... you are definitely covered for family meals out. EG: everyone that has one of these cards at the Royal Melbourne does that now.
Deff true, we had the lady from salary packaging up to give our dept a talk on it. You have to keep the receipt, but as long as you were entertaining guests its totally legit. I wouldnt take the pi** though.

Jo
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:29 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

the agency came back to me and has confirmation that my employer does NOT offer LAFHA. I am really disappointed as that would have been really needed money.

Could i leave it till i arrive in oz and talk to employer once i start work, maybe??
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Do you know anyone that has salary packaged a car through this system yet. Seems that Nurses are reluctant to package the cars.

Hope the Austin is going well for you
I thought about it. It was a novated lease scheme. But, the car had to be either new or 2nd hand above $15000. Since the car would be bought with a loan, there was the interest on that loan plus a monthly $10 administration charge. It didn't suit me, as I'm just happy anything as long as it has four wheels, an engine and seats. I also bought the car with savings rather than wanting the hassle of finance.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I thought about it. It was a novated lease scheme. But, the car had to be either new or 2nd hand above $15000. Since the car would be bought with a loan, there was the interest on that loan plus a monthly $10 administration charge. It didn't suit me, as I'm just happy anything as long as it has four wheels, an engine and seats. I also bought the car with savings rather than wanting the hassle of finance.

Yes similar story for us, we didnt want to borrow, just to get a car cheap.

I'm hoping to find someone out there, that didn't have a loan to pay off or other expenses, that did buy a car though.

Interestingly it seems the lure of a cheap car, with strings, is resisted by most in the medical profession