Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary Packaging in Australia

Wikiposts

Salary Packaging in Australia

Old May 27th 2003, 6:50 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Salary Packaging in Australia

For those who will have (or have already) the latitude to negotiate their salary package, this is worth a read:
http://www.moneymanager.com.au/artic...801422129.html

Incidentally, the author isn't a relation ... :-))

Best regards.
Old May 29th 2003, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Ian&Jackie is an unknown quantity at this point

Alan

Thanks for the information, it makes good reading.

Ian
Old May 29th 2003, 11:48 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary Packaging in Australia

Originally posted by Alan Collett
For those who will have (or have already) the latitude to negotiate their salary package, this is worth a read:
http://www.moneymanager.com.au/artic...801422129.html

Incidentally, the author isn't a relation ... :-))

Best regards.

This is good advice , but every tax fiddle here sooner or later gets blown out and just make sure you that you do not get shafted like more than a few did last year when the tax office left 1000s of investors high and dry.

Old May 30th 2003, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Ian&Jackie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Yes tax in OZ is high. We had a shock when we started to further investigate these issues for our move to Oz.

Not much talk about the "dreaded tax" on this forum. Just seems that a lot of folk are making the move without a job to go to and maybe just do not realised the implications.

But, Perth and its people sound nice - so we will go for it.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 2:49 am
Just Joined

dlendl is an unknown quantity at this point

On every dollar there is 40 cents tax and more if you run your own company with ABN. Just for example, my Catholic Community will have to pay 90 cents per Dollar after 22000 of earnings Hope they will not
What about Perth, except 34% of all British expats in Australia?
Very hard for all of us from the rest of Europe! That is.
Cheers,
D.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 11:14 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Limited companies pay income tax on their profits at the rate of 30% ... which is one reason why many people who have their own business use a family trust with a company as a named beneficiary to cap their overall tax liability at 30%.

Best regards.

Originally posted by dlendl
On every dollar there is 40 cents tax and more if you run your own company with ABN. Just for example, my Catholic Community will have to pay 90 cents per Dollar after 22000 of earnings Hope they will not
What about Perth, except 34% of all British expats in Australia?
Very hard for all of us from the rest of Europe! That is.
Cheers,
D.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 12:42 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ian&Jackie
Hi

Yes tax in OZ is high. We had a shock when we started to further investigate these issues for our move to Oz.

Not much talk about the "dreaded tax" on this forum. Just seems that a lot of folk are making the move without a job to go to and maybe just do not realised the implications.

But, Perth and its people sound nice - so we will go for it.

Great place no tax worries here ?

READING your report (Break-in victim tells her story, 30/5), I relived my own horror at the realisation that my home had been ransacked. The difference between our stories was that I was on a hospital gurney giving birth.

My husband had gone home briefly to retrieve some items for the hospital stay. He found our home, our haven, burgled.

We had just finished the nursery, decorated for our first-born baby's return to live in, with all the warmth and security a home should offer.

Imagine the horror I felt as he looked at me with such a forlorn face, one that should have been happy during the birth of our first child. How could they, why us, why now? These thoughts raced through my mind.

He had to tell me, he couldn't keep such an horrendous thing from me, and no time would have ever been a good time to tell me. But it was the worst time. As I struggled with the emotions that only a new mother knows after birth, I also struggled to come to terms with the fact that someone had violated my home.

Apparently even the nursery was ransacked. Who could do this? Various things were taken, including my father's heirloom, a camera that had been passed down by his mother.

The feeling of insecurity and paranoia your report's subject describes are as real as the problem we face with these rampant burglaries.
MELITA DAVIS, Kardinya. Perth

Old Jun 2nd 2003, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

ianduggan5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Limited companies pay income tax on their profits at the rate of 30% ... which is one reason why many people who have their own business use a family trust with a company as a named beneficiary to cap their overall tax liability at 30%.

Best regards.
Alan,

Do you have any more information on how this works, is setup, etc?

Ian
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 6:51 pm
Migration Agent

Only if you part with some money I'm afraid ... :-))

If you would like the contact details for my Australian CA colleague who advises in this area please mail me directly.

Best regards.

Originally posted by ianduggan5
Alan,

Do you have any more information on how this works, is setup, etc?

Ian