Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salaries question

Salaries question

Old Jan 26th 2022, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salaries question

Originally Posted by Retirednow View Post
You get it. That ‘moderator’ and I use the term loosely, shouldn’t be anywhere near this form. An absolute plonker!
But you've got to admit pretty much on the mark at the end of the day. Of course there is no compulsion to agree, but varied opinions is what keeps the forum interesting.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
But you've got to admit pretty much on the mark at the end of the day. Of course there is no compulsion to agree, but varied opinions is what keeps the forum interesting.
The ignorance was palpable. Hardly near ‘the mark’
Old Jan 26th 2022, 1:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The ignorance was palpable. Hardly near ‘the mark’
What ignorance?

I've seen it suggested many times before that people need to earn 2.5 times UK salary for same standard.

Moving to the South Coast of England will likely offer more sunshine - longer days for sure. It will also be cheaper, so no ignorance there.

All other posts are clearly personal opinions, which Christmas is as entitled to as you or me.

Not everyone has to like Australia just as not everyone hates the UK.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 7:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You get it. That ‘moderator’ and I use the term loosely, shouldn’t be anywhere near this form. An absolute plonker!
Ah, I was right, you really are a charming chap. Conjures up an image of a curmudgeonly old bloke bashing away at his ancient PC because somebody has dared to have an opinion that he doesn't agree with. Perhaps you're actually some hip 23 year old posting on his iPhone whilst skateboarding though.

I'm sorry that I don't have any interest in living in Oz and that you are so het up about that, but not sure why it means you feel the need to chuck insults around. I simply have a different opinion to you, and that's what makes BE interesting. I never derided Oz, I simply gave the reasons why we personally wouldn't want to live there. I'm sure it's an amazing country and suits most people, but it just isn't of any interest to us. If you were offered a job in <insert country that you don't much fancy here>, would you think you have to live there to know for sure that you don't want to live in it? My husband is offered jobs all over the world, we can't possibly live in every place, so have chosen to only live where we want to. And that includes the UK, which I personally love and which suits us well as a family - again, apologies for having a different opinion on you to that too.

Incidentally, with my mod hat on and not posting as just a member, you might want to have another read of Site Rule 1. Looking at your previous posts it seems you like to chuck insults around when somebody dares to disagree with you, somehow you've been lucky and got away with it so far. Put your point across, but do it without the name calling, ta.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Incidentally, with my mod hat on and not posting as just a member, you might want to have another read of Site Rule 1. Looking at your previous posts it seems you like to chuck insults around when somebody dares to disagree with you, somehow you've been lucky and got away with it so far. Put your point across, but do it without the name calling, ta.
And that's the problem then, isn't it, the capacity to pull out the big gun that nobody else has, to forcibly solve (or even eliminate the record of) a difference of opinion.

Forums don't work well, when mods want to perform as mods (a necessary and useful capacity) yet also retain the capacity to comment personally, with the big gun explicitly behind anything they say. The "Super Moderator" imprimatur that accompanies a personal post by a Mod in this forum isn't distinguished at all, from those posts which signify *actions* by the same person, in the Mod capacity.

Especially, as in the case of Christmasoompa's post above, when there are elements of both the personal and moderator viewpoint, hopelessly conflicted in the same post.

And that's a problem.

Last edited by abner; Jan 26th 2022 at 8:40 am.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner View Post
And that's the problem then, isn't it, the capacity to pull out the big gun that nobody else has, to forcibly solve (or even eliminate the record of) a difference of opinion.

Forums don't work well, when mods want to perform as mods (a necessary and useful capacity) yet also retain the capacity to comment personally, with the big gun explicitly behind anything they say. The "Super Moderator" imprimatur that accompanies a personal post by a Mod in this forum isn't distinguished at all, from those posts which signify *actions* by the same person, in the Mod capacity.

And that's a problem.
Exactly!
Old Jan 26th 2022, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You've misunderstood. The whole point I was making is that the difference of opinion needs to be put across without the name calling, that's all. If there's no insults, then there's no issue and no need to 'solve' anything.

All of us mods were members first. We don't stop being members just because we're mods.

Old Jan 26th 2022, 8:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Especially, as in the case of Christmasoompa's post above, when there are elements of both the personal and moderator viewpoint, hopelessly conflicted in the same post.

And that's a problem.
No problem at all. Moderators / Supermoderators / Admin are allowed to express personal opinions.

They also at times have to remind members of site rules.

Any issues with that at all and I suggest you take it up by pm.

Exactly!
Please heed the advice with regards to your posting style.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
You've misunderstood. The whole point I was making is that the difference of opinion needs to be put across without the name calling, that's all. If there's no insults, then there's no issue and no need to 'solve' anything.
So what was...
"Ah, I was right, you really are a charming chap. Conjures up an image of a curmudgeonly old bloke bashing away at his ancient PC because somebody has dared to have an opinion that he doesn't agree with. Perhaps you're actually some hip 23 year old posting on his iPhone whilst skateboarding though."
all about then??
Old Jan 26th 2022, 11:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

So what was...
"Ah, I was right, you really are a charming chap. Conjures up an image of a curmudgeonly old bloke bashing away at his ancient PC because somebody has dared to have an opinion that he doesn't agree with. Perhaps you're actually some hip 23 year old posting on his iPhone whilst skateboarding though."
all about then??
What do you mean what was it about? It was saying that his repeated cantankerous posts calling people names conjured up that image. But that perhaps he’s a young hip dude. Not sure why that needed clarifying tbh.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 26th 2022 at 12:51 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please note:

15. Moderator Actions
Discussions about moderator or administrator actions are welcome in email, or local private messages, but should not be discussed in public forums. This is out of respect for the members, moderators and policy involved.

Thread closed.