safe trip

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Ashwin1 is just really niceAshwin1 is just really niceAshwin1 is just really niceAshwin1 is just really niceAshwin1 is just really niceAshwin1 is just really niceAshwin1 is just really niceAshwin1 is just really nice
Smile safe trip

Hawthorn East & Balwyn North

We are visiting Melbourne for a second time. First trip was just to validate visa, which was really fantastic. At this time we are going to focus on these suburbs to settle near Melbourne.

As we shortlisted two places Hawthorn East and Balwyn North we decided to stay few days in Hawthorn East and Balwyn north. Eventually we have to select one of the places being shorlisted, which based on our evaluation at this time.

I have few questions to ask to our valued forum members for the last time.
I would not be asking any more as this query have been raised manytime on this forum.

1. How much would people rate in these places particularly Hawthorn East.
2. Any particular disadvantage in these places.
3. Is it safe to travel from Airport to Hawthorn during the midnight with family by Taxi. (Accommodation at Hawthorn)
4. I understand that service apartment usually close at night. Is it generally common in Melbourne.

Your valued suggestion for above queries would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Ashwin
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: safe trip

Hi Ashwin,

Both areas ranked very high (there was a study conducted a couple of years ago, I forget teh source) in the following criteria:

Ratings for Hawthorn in the first column ; Balwyn N next.

Proximity to schools 5 4
Crime levels 5 5
Proximity to CBD 4 4
Proximity to train stations 4 1
Tram Line Density 3 5
Bus Stop Density 1 4
Shopping facilities 4 2
Tree density 4 4
Size of local cultural sector 5 2
Proportion of congested roads 2 0
Proportion of open space 1 5
Provision of cafes and restaurants 5 1
Topographical variation 3 4
Proximity to coastline 3 2

5 being the highest rating.

We too have decided on Hawthorn and Balwyn whenever we do decide to move permanently.

The only disadvantage could be that both rentals and property prices are very steep, which is to be expected given that they are very good areas. However, if you have a place to sell in South Bombay and then use it as equity to buy - you'll find them cheap

It's quite safe to travel by taxi - or alternatively are there no flights landing during the day?

Hotel/service apartments shouldn't normally close at night - but if you know where you're going to stay, why not email them before you book and ask directly?

Good luck with the move.

Anya

Last edited by IndieG; Apr 7th 2007 at 9:40 am.