safe for kids!

Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:29 pm
P64
Just Joined

P64 will become famous soon enough
Default safe for kids!

I've just read a reply to my intial ( in the Barbie) question about crime and drugs in and around Perth.

Geeeze.. everyone I've spoken to says Australia is a great place for kids,but now i'm left wondering.

We are wanting a better, safer place for our 2 boys to grow up. I know nowhere is perfect but reading this relpy has got me rather worried, has anyone else got any thoughts on the subject?

Cheers
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:34 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: safe for kids!

Originally Posted by P64
I've just read a reply to my intial ( in the Barbie) question about crime and drugs in and around Perth.

Geeeze.. everyone I've spoken to says Australia is a great place for kids,but now i'm left wondering.

We are wanting a better, safer place for our 2 boys to grow up. I know nowhere is perfect but reading this relpy has got me rather worried, has anyone else got any thoughts on the subject?

Cheers
Your sister's been there 8 weeks - what does she think?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:43 pm
P64
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hutch
Your sister's been there 8 weeks - what does she think?

I rang her today after reading that reply, she's loving it, she said the school kids she's spoke to have all been realy polite and well behaved ans she hasn't heard anything in the 8wks she's been there on the news about crime.

But, then she has only been there a short time, I thought I'd ask the question hoping people might have a wider view on the subject.

Maybe I'm being overlly worried, maybe I'm just a neurotic mother!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P64
I rang her today after reading that reply, she's loving it, she said the school kids she's spoke to have all been realy polite and well behaved ans she hasn't heard anything in the 8wks she's been there on the news about crime.

But, then she has only been there a short time, I thought I'd ask the question hoping people might have a wider view on the subject.

I think there's a balance to be struck. Nobody would blame you for wanting the best for your children and for being concerned about their welfare. However you have first-hand empirical evidence from someone you trust - surely that counts for more than a few nasty anecdotes?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 3:54 pm
P64
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hutch
I think there's a balance to be struck. Nobody would blame you for wanting the best for your children and for being concerned about their welfare. However you have first-hand empirical evidence from someone you trust - surely that counts for more than a few nasty anecdotes?

You're right I should just listen to my sister. The reason for us wanting to leave the UK is for a better life for our boys, now and when they are adults, so i'm just trying to find out as much as poss to make sure that we are doing the right thing and not jumping fromthe frying pan into the fire, but I suppose we'll only really know if it right for us once we have actually leaped!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:46 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P64
You're right I should just listen to my sister. The reason for us wanting to leave the UK is for a better life for our boys, now and when they are adults, so i'm just trying to find out as much as poss to make sure that we are doing the right thing and not jumping fromthe frying pan into the fire, but I suppose we'll only really know if it right for us once we have actually leaped!
My Perth-raised Australian wife, upon listening to a Scottish mother who had moved to Perth and who was stating that it was "so much safer" for her kids, immediately told her this was not the case, that you have to watch your children everywhere.

IMHO, the best way to improve a kids life is to make sure it is adequately skilled enough to deal with lifes tougher moments, to be both emotionally confident & physically confident.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't answer for Perth as I'm in the GC 'we've only been here 7 months' and feel that its defiantly a better place for our kids, they are fitter,eating better,happier and there is alot more for kids to do here "more child friendly"....which I think means alot when your growing up

The kids here seem to have a better attitude than in the UK.......Drugs they are everywhere and there is no getting away from that unfortunately....But honestly feel that our kids will have a better and more positive start than they would have done than in the UK

Go for it!

All the best

Sue x
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:58 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P64

She's obviously not been tuning into the news then. In the last 3 weeks i can recall reports on at least 2 attemted abductions, maybe 3, plus the usual host of other things that go on daily here. It's a city like anywhere else, if it was crime free it would be so well policed you couldnt breath.

Lynn
Old Mar 31st 2006, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
She's obviously not been tuning into the news then. In the last 3 weeks i can recall reports on at least 2 attemted abductions, maybe 3, plus the usual host of other things that go on daily here. It's a city like anywhere else, if it was crime free it would be so well policed you couldnt breath.

Lynn

Scary isn't it ....I still don't think that crime is as bad here as it is in the UK though. Imagine UK local news "say the size of the GC" trying to report the crimes that had gone on in one day!!

And as far as drugs are concerned I'd say nearly every child will have some kind of contact with it at some stage or another.

Sue x
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:10 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue2
Scary isn't it ....I still don't think that crime is as bad here as it is in the UK though. Imagine UK local news "say the size of the GC" trying to report the crimes that had gone on in one day!!

And as far as drugs are concerned I'd say nearly every child will have some kind of contact with it at some stage or another.

Sue x
Thats exactly it, here in Perth most crimes are reposted on the news but it covers a fairly vast area, plus it always sesm too that many of the more serious ones are domestic.

Lynn