Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Safari experience or not???

A Safari experience or not???

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Question A Safari experience or not???

Hi all

I know this has got nothing to do with this forum at all BUT there is always such an abundance of decent advice on here i thought id give it a go.

Am just about to book a long planned holiday to Kenya for myself and my 7 year old daughter ( half beach, half safari)...just looked up health issues on the net :scared: :scared: :scared: Yikes.

Now feel that what id entered into as an experience of a lifetime, may turn out to be the end of our lifetime Im exaggerating of course, but its still pretty worrying. Am beginning to feel like an irresponsible parent for even considering it. Especially as my mum has jumped on the bandwagon with"Well you dont really hear of people taking there children there". Asked my ex what he thought and he was as helpful as ..........well, as helpful as my ex always is really!

Seems there is loads of stuff to catch out there and not much to be done to avoid it - other than sitting fully clothed in an air conditioned room drinking bottled water!!!!

So- anyone been ?? More importantly anyone taken kids

Id really appreciate peoples views/experiences

Thanks

Rachel

Last edited by desperate2go; Jan 22nd 2005 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Safari experience or not???

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Hi all

I know this has got nothing to do with this forum at all BUT there is always such an abundance of decent advice on here i thought id give it a go.

Am just about to book a long planned holiday to Kenya for myself and my 7 year old daughter ( half beach, half safari)...just looked up health issues on the net :scared: :scared: :scared: Yikes.

Now feel that what id entered into as an experience of a lifetime, may turn out to be the end of our lifetime Im exaggerating of course, but its still pretty worrying. Am beginning to feel like an irresponsible parent for even considering it. Especially as my mum has jumped on the bandwagon with"Well you dont really hear of people taking there children there". Asked my ex what he thought and he was as helpful as ..........well, as helpful as my ex always is really!

Seems there is loads of stuff to catch out there and not much to be done to avoid it - other than sitting fully clothed in an air conditioned room drinking bottled water!!!!

So- anyone been ?? More importantly anyone taken kids

Id really appreciate peoples views/experiences

Thanks

Rachel
I grew up in Africa & can tell you that you'll be fine. Get your jabs, cover up at night & drink bottled water & you'll be ok. Once you've spent a night in the bush, heard the noises, seen the stars, smelt it, you'll fall in love with Africa. The most incredible wildlife on the planet & the scenery will blow you away.

By the way, you're not going on safari, people stopped going on safari in the 30's. You're going to Africa to visit some game/national parks.

Enjoy.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu

By the way, you're not going on safari, people stopped going on safari in the 30's. You're going to Africa to visit some game/national parks.

Enjoy.
I stand corrected I wont tell my little un she will be very dissappointed
Thanks for the info though- if it is safe maybe I can start getting excited again
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperate2go
I stand corrected I wont tell my little un she will be very dissappointed
Thanks for the info though- if it is safe maybe I can start getting excited again
Your daughter will love it. On my last trip back to Africa, I was lucky to see a Cheetah killing an antelope. Not nice if you're squeemish, but it is reality.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Your daughter will love it. On my last trip back to Africa, I was lucky to see a Cheetah killing an antelope. Not nice if you're squeemish, but it is reality.
Sure beats Big Brother