Sad day for the surfing community

Sad day for the surfing community

Old Jul 11th 2004, 1:48 am
owieb

Unhappy Sad day for the surfing community

Shark kills board rider
By Nick Butterly and Jessica Strutt
July 11, 2004

A SURFER was mauled and killed by a shark yesterday. Police and paramedics went to the tiny holiday town of Gracetown, a popular surfing spot 280km south of Perth, but were unable to save the man.

He is believed to have been surfing with a mate and three other people at Left Handers beach, near Margaret River, when he was knocked from his board which was bitten in half.

Witnesses said two sharks – estimated to be 3m to 5m in length – were in the area.

"It was the larger one that attacked," said Sgt Ian Pheasant of Margaret River police.

One witness described the shark as being "as big as a car".

The beach has been closed until further notice.

Police said the victim was in his early 30s and was not a local.

St John Ambulance spokesman John Thomas said he received quite extensive injuries to the torso.

"By the time he was brought to shore he was deceased," he said.

The attack occurred in front of crowds of holidaymakers.

Local surfer Bart Mulder said the attack was distressing.

"We were going to go down to the beach for a surf and a couple of blokes came up and said, 'Don't go down there somebody's been bitten in half by a shark'," he told the ABC. "But it won't stop me surfing."

The Department of Fisheries was expected to start the search for the sharks today.

It is the second shark fatality in Western Australia in four years.

Ken Crew was killed at North Cottesloe in November 2000.

For the Gracetown community it is the biggest tragedy since nine people were killed when a cliff collapsed at Huzzas Beach in 1996.

Full story is here - http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E26462,00.html

Old Jul 11th 2004, 2:02 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh How sad!

I was in Margaret River last Septemeber and visited that particular beach while I was there. It's a lovely spot with BIG waves, excelent for surfers.

Such a shame to hear that. Here I was telling people "Oh there's only been one fatality in almost 70 years!" to those people who questioned my fear of sharks. Now I have to up that statistic to 2 in 70 years!

My condolences go out to the family.

Siren
Old Jul 11th 2004, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Siren
Oh How sad!

I was in Margaret River last Septemeber and visited that particular beach while I was there. It's a lovely spot with BIG waves, excelent for surfers.

Such a shame to hear that. Here I was telling people "Oh there's only been one fatality in almost 70 years!" to those people who questioned my fear of sharks. Now I have to up that statistic to 2 in 70 years!

My condolences go out to the family.

Siren

I think there has been more deaths than that, I am sad to say.

I remember a few years back there was 2 people killed within just a couple of days at the same beach in South Australia. I dont remember all the details, but one of the people was a guy on his honeymoon. I think he was a Kiwi....
Old Jul 11th 2004, 2:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Margarets is a world famous surfing spot and one of the venues for the ASP tour. Sad story but lets hope the surfer got a good ride that day.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

The 30 year old man was from Perth.

Whisky
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:02 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sad day for the surfing community

Originally posted by owieb
Shark kills board rider
By Nick Butterly and Jessica Strutt
July 11, 2004

A SURFER was mauled and killed by a shark yesterday. Police and paramedics went to the tiny holiday town of Gracetown, a popular surfing spot 280km south of Perth, but were unable to save the man.

He is believed to have been surfing with a mate and three other people at Left Handers beach, near Margaret River, when he was knocked from his board which was bitten in half.

Witnesses said two sharks – estimated to be 3m to 5m in length – were in the area.

"It was the larger one that attacked," said Sgt Ian Pheasant of Margaret River police.

One witness described the shark as being "as big as a car".

The beach has been closed until further notice.

Police said the victim was in his early 30s and was not a local.

St John Ambulance spokesman John Thomas said he received quite extensive injuries to the torso.

"By the time he was brought to shore he was deceased," he said.

The attack occurred in front of crowds of holidaymakers.

Local surfer Bart Mulder said the attack was distressing.

"We were going to go down to the beach for a surf and a couple of blokes came up and said, 'Don't go down there somebody's been bitten in half by a shark'," he told the ABC. "But it won't stop me surfing."

The Department of Fisheries was expected to start the search for the sharks today.

It is the second shark fatality in Western Australia in four years.

Ken Crew was killed at North Cottesloe in November 2000.

For the Gracetown community it is the biggest tragedy since nine people were killed when a cliff collapsed at Huzzas Beach in 1996.

Full story is here - http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E26462,00.html
Hi

That's terrible, I remember the Cotesloe shark attack few years back thou. Guy blead to death on the beach after shark took a bite at his leg, sad , sad, sad.

Walla
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:22 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hels
I think there has been more deaths than that, I am sad to say.

In Australia entire, yes but not on the W.A. coastline. Last time was a man in Cottesloe in 2000 and before that was another bloke in Cottesloe in 1925.

Saw the blokes pic on the news tonight. Nice looking guy. They still haven't found the shark, though they have permission to kill on sight.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:32 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Siren
In Australia entire, yes but not on the W.A. coastline. Last time was a man in Cottesloe in 2000 and before that was another bloke in Cottesloe in 1925.

Saw the blokes pic on the news tonight. Nice looking guy. They still haven't found the shark, though they have permission to kill on sight.

No probs, I didnt realise you were referring to just WA.