Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SA School Question - Year 11/12

SA School Question - Year 11/12

Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default SA School Question - Year 11/12

Hi,
We are due to move to Adelaide in January and I have a question about schools. My son started the UK 6th form a few weeks ago and he's loving it which is a shock because he wasn't too keen on secondary school... I think the freedom of 'Free study periods' and no uniform plays a major part in this because its a bit more college like

How do the 'Senior years' (Year 11 and 12) in SA schools compare to the UK 6th form? Are they similar or will it be like he's gone back to secondary school?

Thanks
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

teresa01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SA School Question - Year 11/12

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Hi,
We are due to move to Adelaide in January and I have a question about schools. My son started the UK 6th form a few weeks ago and he's loving it which is a shock because he wasn't too keen on secondary school... I think the freedom of 'Free study periods' and no uniform plays a major part in this because its a bit more college like

How do the 'Senior years' (Year 11 and 12) in SA schools compare to the UK 6th form? Are they similar or will it be like he's gone back to secondary school?

Thanks
Hi,

Senior years 11 & 12 here are pretty much the same as the latter high school years in the uk, but there is another option, situated around Adelaide are senior colleges these are where students can study year 11 & 12 in a more relaxed environment, they are more like english colleges, which might suit your son. Marden & Hamilton are a couple that I know of, however they are not in every area so some research might be needed.

Best of luck with the big move in January!

Teresa
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Thanks Teresa,
I've had a look around and have found one not too far from where we plan on living. What is the difference between Senior Colleges and TAFE? or are they they same thing with a different name? The SC I looked at mentioned courses for adults on their website???

Thanks again
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

puff the dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Hi,

Thanks
my son is in year 12 at present.They do have free periods but still have to wear uniform here.However there is also tafe colleges to look into
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

My son was in the same situation as yours when we moved to SA, he was very happy at 6th form college, but struggle to adjust into year 11 as he couldn't pick the subjects he was doing back in UK, but once he settled down he was okay, he is on his final year at uni at the moment, he also hated the uniforms.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Also depends on the school re uniforms. Private schools will have the full expensive uniforms and they will have to wear it.

My son's school (he's left now) uniform was just jeans and a blue polo shirt, so I didn't have to get a mortgage to send him to school
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

The high school I have been looking at is Henley High School due to hoping to settle in the Henley Beach area. The uniform there is a polo shirt (not too bad) and grey trousers or shorts (Grey!!) The advantage to this school is it 'should' be in walking distance to wear we will be living and the near to the fitness gym I have found for him to join

Last night I found a senior college: TheBarton Senior College. He will be able to study for the SACE and it doesn't look like there is a uniform but he will need to catch a bus there and back. I'm also not sure about the fees for this one. We are on a 176 visa but I'm guessing there will be course fees to pay due to it being a college rather than a school

Personally I think he will be better in HS for the making friends side of things, the students like him will be local meaning he can hang out with them after school and there will be no travel involved... The only drama will be getting him back in a school uniform!! Teenagers!!