Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rural/lifestyle living

Rural/lifestyle living

Old May 1st 2010, 11:57 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rural/lifestyle living

Originally Posted by mohogony
it is a silly question, theres hundreds of thousands of them everywhere,
l live on such a place in country Victoria a small acreage near coast l would never want to live in a city again after living here. . try
realestate.com.au
You've all been really great help.

Yes I know, it probably does seem a silly question to some but all questions are silly I suppose if you already know the answer and I didn't but I may have help others who have a similar question and who now don't have to ask.

We were looking at acreage of approx 10 and I think it was there that I was coming unstuck. 5 would be good also.

Many thanks again
Old May 13th 2010, 2:59 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob Tonnor
Hi

Heres a good website to help you figure out what services and real estate are availible in all areas, i have started it off in Coffs Harbour on the east coast, cos i live there! http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...offs%20Harbour

Bob
We live in Coffs Harbour too, arrived Nov last year (OH lived here a year in 2005 also) and we both absolutely love it! Council website is very useful for prospective residents:
www.coffsharbour.nsw.gov.au
They call its a city but it's not, not from my perspective anyway (Glasgow, Scotland).
Lots of lovely rural properties around, def worth a look for OP I reckon.

Best of luck OP!

Last edited by PamE; May 13th 2010 at 3:02 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:04 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PamE
We live in Coffs Harbour too, arrived Nov last year (OH lived here a year in 2005 also) and we both absolutely love it! Council website is very useful for prospective residents:
www.coffsharbour.nsw.gov.au
They call its a city but it's not, not from my perspective anyway (Glasgow, Scotland).
Lots of lovely rural properties around, def worth a look for OP I reckon.

Best of luck OP!
Yes Coffs Harbour is a nice place from what l heard.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:11 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes Coffs Harbour is a nice place from what l heard.
I certainly think so altho as for anywhere there are mixed opinions and some very strong! Have heard it called rough, run-down, only for retirees...none of this true IMO but of course it's all relative - again, I used to live in the City of Glasgow. Therefore, this is paradise Seriously tho, Coffs has a lot going for it and I am sooo glad we made it back here, it's well worth the 4 year wait. Great place for kids too & I am so happy to be having my baby (due Sept) here. Plus public healthcare facilities here are excellent (except one doc whose English is wholly inadequate but that's another tale and clearly an exception to standard of care I've been receiving in recent months).

Life is very good here on the Banana Coast

Last edited by PamE; May 13th 2010 at 3:13 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:20 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gags
Do lifestyle properties exist in Australia the same as NZ?

I'm confused !

when you say "lifestyle property", it seems like you're talking about somewhere that is not too far away from a city, semi-rural, not in suburbia.

So why do you call it a "lifestyle" property?! what about the folks along the coast, in the cities and the suburbs....don't they have lifestyles? hee hee....
Old May 13th 2010, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I'm confused !

when you say "lifestyle property", it seems like you're talking about somewhere that is not too far away from a city, semi-rural, not in suburbia.

So why do you call it a "lifestyle" property?! what about the folks along the coast, in the cities and the suburbs....don't they have lifestyles? hee hee....
A lifestyle property tends to be acreage - moreorless. I think that city dwellers and beachsiders have no cause for concern, perhaps the word is used to differentiate from suburban dwellers!
Old May 13th 2010, 6:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A lifestyle property tends to be acreage - moreorless. I think that city dwellers and beachsiders have no cause for concern, perhaps the word is used to differentiate from suburban dwellers!
However it doesn't make sense so it's a stupid word to use.
Old May 13th 2010, 7:05 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A lifestyle property tends to be acreage - moreorless.
Yes that appears to be the case, but I tend to agree with Moneypenny. Why is it specifically called a "lifestyle" property?!

Maybe it is a british term...? I haven't heard it used over here.
Old May 13th 2010, 7:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that appears to be the case, but I tend to agree with Moneypenny. Why is it specifically called a "lifestyle" property?!

I'm on acreage but why does that mean that I apparently have a lifestyle and someone who lives on a small block doesn't They may not have my 'lifestyle' but they still have theirs and they may consider theirs to be better than mine

I've not heard it before, not that I remember anyway.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure it's an Australian term. Real estate agents around here use that meaning to typically denote a house on land which offers several acres - (perhaps 10, maybe a lot more), dams, fencing, shedding. The house has several living areas, bars, spas, pools, studios and storage.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm on acreage but why does that mean that I apparently have a lifestyle and someone who lives on a small block doesn't They may not have my 'lifestyle' but they still have theirs and they may consider theirs to be better than mine

I've not heard it before, not that I remember anyway.
It's lifestyle because you can do everything someone with a house can do, but can do other things like keep stock, sheep, fish, hoon around on bikes, take that car apart in one of the sheds...plant vines..

you can't keep sheep on a 500m block. Well...
Old May 13th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a New Zealand term.

I've been looking at Real Estate in Australia for years and never come across 'lifestyle' as a term for acreage or country living. Go onto realestate.com and there's no option for 'lifestyle' - you get 'acreage' or 'rural' options. Same with Domain.com - you get 'rural' or 'coastal' with them.

Go to most New Zealand sites (try realestate.co.nz) and there are 'lifestyle' options all over the place.
Old May 13th 2010, 12:55 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Oh dear, I certainly did not mean to cause offence

The term IS used in New Zealand on real estate jargon. It has nothing to do with how better or worse others live or where. It is used to describe a sizeable piece of land usually with property, some without so that you can build one.

I just believed (being all the way over here in old blighty) that in Australia you would use the same term when looking at properties in real estate and would know what sort of place I mean.

For all those that it has offended....sorry

It was only an innocent question though, and thanks for the links.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Hello Garden Of England dweller, I lived in the toolshed for the majority of my 35 years in the UK ... Chatham.

Anyway, I second the Gold Coast Hinterland ... look at that realestate site thing and search for Buccan in Queensland and search no longer.

Semi-rural, space to move, handy for the coast, commutable to Brisbane or Gold Coast.

Job done, grab visa, get on plane, live life.

That sounds simple enough. We'll give it a go too!

Last edited by Alfresco; May 13th 2010 at 1:56 pm.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC
I think it's a New Zealand term.

I've been looking at Real Estate in Australia for years and never come across 'lifestyle' as a term for acreage or country living. Go onto realestate.com and there's no option for 'lifestyle' - you get 'acreage' or 'rural' options. Same with Domain.com - you get 'rural' or 'coastal' with them.

Go to most New Zealand sites (try realestate.co.nz) and there are 'lifestyle' options all over the place.
That's interesting.

I'm worried for my local agents. They use it fairly liberally in their narrative, often in the title. But it isn't an option or official type.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood this ''lifestyle'' term. I have seen it used quite a lot on the Sunshine Coast, with the latest estate developments advertising ''lifestyle'' packages I've even seen ''Lifestyle'' magazines (seem to be full of glossy adverts).
The land size of some of these Lifestyle developments is around 390m2, then you get a house built on it with appliances, for just under $500,000. Just had a look on a site advertising ones on Birtinya Island - one of the latest developments. Sounds great but it isn't an exotic island - it's in one of the most built up areas Kawana and the advertised packages aren't waterfront or anything. Nothing wrong with Kawana and maybe great if you want a new house and like living on a small block in a very built up area (not me) but I don't get what's ''lifestyle'' about it. Strange term.
My lifestyle is great in the Hinterland although some might hate it. A lifestyle is what you create or have for yourself, all different. Never seen rural properties advertised as ''Lifestyle'' here. Seems to be the brand spanking new developments near the coast that qualify for the term.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.