Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rumpus Room / Ducted Air Con

Rumpus Room / Ducted Air Con

Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rumpus Room / Ducted Air Con

Originally Posted by Teliko21
We have been looking at all the options for air con for the house we are building and were quoted $14000 to install a ducted air con/heating system! We have decided to just install reverse cycle for now and upgrade later. With the extra insulation etc we are installing it seems like alot of money to spend on something when we can make do with cheaper for now. It is our first house and we are only just starting to realise all the extra things we are going to have to get :scared:

WOW that is expensive!! Are you building a mansion?!! We have a 5 bedroomed home and had a ducted reverse cycle unit put in a couple of years ago....in the existing house. We paid $10,000 for an Actron Air unit. It is supposed to be more expensive to have it put in afterwards than when you have the house built. When you say you are only installing reverse cycle for now I assume you really mean split systems......ducted air units generally are reverse cycle - I use mine as much for heating as cooling!!!

It might be worth getting more quotes as it does sound a ridiculous price. It will save you a lot in heating / cooling bills in the future with a ducted system.

Take care

Rudi
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:26 am
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your thoughts! Still undecided, will also ask around at work this week.

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:18 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HEL
Hi all,

In the process of building a house at the moment and would value your comments on the following:

Rumpus Room - Would it be important for you to have this? House has open plan lounge /dining and small living area to front (rumpus room is optional extra)

Ducted Air Con - We havent found the heat too bad this year but others may see it as a necessity.

Basically, are either of the above a necessity for you if you are buying a house, would it determine whether you would buy it? Any comments welcomed as we are unsure what to go for, particularly re: resale (ages away i know but worth considering)

Cheers
For a family the games room would be a must. Make it big as you can. Kids have so much crap these days.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:25 pm
It's not my real name....

coolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of lightcoolie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Rumpus room = games room.
Ok, I learnt something new today. I'll have to remember that one for when we get there.
Now that I know what a rumpus room is, I'd say bite the bullet and go for both!! I don't know your personal circumstances, but at the end of the day it's far easier and cheaper to install air-con during the new build than to retrofit.
Both options will definitely add resale value to the property.
Like it was posted before. Any air con system can be reverse cycle. This does what it says on the tin. The refrigeration cycle is reversed and instead of the indoor heat being rejected outside, the outside heat is brought in. (there is heat energy in air even when it's cold outside).
The only reason why ducted air con is more expensive is because you have the added expense of the ductwork and labour to install it.

Last edited by coolie; Feb 20th 2006 at 5:30 pm.