Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rules is rules... soon there will be no common sense left

Rules is rules... soon there will be no common sense left

Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Rules is rules... soon there will be no common sense left

As we all know Australia loves its rules and they should not be broken, changed or overlooked at any cost!! even if common sense makes more err sense.

Anyway, my medicare card had expired so I had to take my passport down to the medicare office to get a new card.
After watching the clerk flick through all the pages of my new passport looking for a visa stamp, I told him they don't put visas in passports anymore as they are electronic. "Oh we need to see the visa" he replied. "Even though the visa is the same as the one I showed you last year when I renewed my card?" I said. "Yes we need to see ID and visa everytime you renew the card" was his response".

After my careful explanation of the following to him:
1. The visa is the same type/ number as the one you have on your system from when I first showed it.
2. You have the visa number, how about checking it on some system or calling immigration to verify it? This seemed to not compute with him! It was the are you asking me to go outside the rules look on his face that gave it away.
3. There is no visa document, however you want me to print an email from 2 years ago that states the visa was granted?? Even though that visa could have been cancelled and you are looking at an email with an expired visa? Yes

So it seems an old email with visa granted written on it seems enough to get you anywhere. Amazing.
I'm sure the common sense definition will be replaced with "see definition for rules" in the aussie dictionary.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Rules is rules... soon there will be no common sense left

Originally Posted by markbhx
Anyway, my medicare card had expired so I had to take my passport down to the medicare office to get a new card.
I've never had to go anywhere to get mine renewed. They just send out a new one in the post.

Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've never had to go anywhere to get mine renewed. They just send out a new one in the post.
I think that may be the case if you've used it - friends of ours (Aussies) are just struggling to get a new card for OH as he hasn't used it for 5 years! Having to do same proceedure as OP.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Weve just been to the UK for xmas holiday. a few days after I left a flurry of letters from centerlink start to arriv, telling me my kids have moved overseas.

Now as they obviously get this info from immigration they could have seen the card said aus resident departing TEMP, however ...

More amusing is they tell me my payments of $00.00 have been discontinued, thats right I dont get any centerlink anyway, but of course they have all your details as all oz departments share info.

I take a trip into centerlink to enquire as to my pile of letters and get told all australians have to report in and notify them even if your going overseas for a weekend. Umm that must make a lot of paperwork then
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
More amusing is they tell me my payments of $00.00 have been discontinued, thats right I dont get any centerlink anyway, but of course they have all your details as all oz departments share info.
These automated computers have a lot to answer for...

Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:00 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

We're temporary residents, we have to go and get it renewed in person each time.

We were ages getting it first time around, and because they issue it from the date you entered the country, I ended up having to renew it again after 2 months of having it!

(Which reminds me I need to go and renew it again)
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Weve just been to the UK for xmas holiday. a few days after I left a flurry of letters from centerlink start to arriv, telling me my kids have moved overseas.

Now as they obviously get this info from immigration they could have seen the card said aus resident departing TEMP, however ...

I take a trip into centerlink to enquire as to my pile of letters and get told all australians have to report in and notify them even if your going overseas for a weekend. Umm that must make a lot of paperwork then
Couldn't make it up, could you!! And I'm sure all those Aussies going to Bali/Fiji/Thailand etc just rush in to tell Centrelink
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We're temporary residents, we have to go and get it renewed in person each time.

We were ages getting it first time around, and because they issue it from the date you entered the country, I ended up having to renew it again after 2 months of having it!

(Which reminds me I need to go and renew it again)
Yep I have to renew every year and take passport and visa everytime. Well an old email with visa written on it!
Given that they want to see the visa email I assume they don't even check it is valid. What a joke. All they need to do is check with immigration the visa number which they already have!! I wonder how many people get medicare whose visa has expired and just keep taking some old email from years ago.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Couldn't make it up, could you!! And I'm sure all those Aussies going to Bali/Fiji/Thailand etc just rush in to tell Centrelink
My wife has never had to do that...

Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has never had to do that...
I have never told them of my OS trips before, now its a rule according to centerlink even if you go for a weekend.

Immigration obviously now informs them anyway
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I have never told them of my OS trips before, now its a rule according to centerlink even if you go for a weekend.

Immigration obviously now informs them anyway
I'm confused. If you dont claim from Ctrelink, you still have to notify them when you leave the country?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I'm confused. If you dont claim from Ctrelink, you still have to notify them when you leave the country?
probably, they need something to do like sending you a letter stating you are entitled to $0.00 as another poster mentioned.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
If you have kids they have your details from your tax return anyway, as centerlink used to be processed that way. All aussie depts share info, medicare, centerlink, tax even banks share interest details with centerlink ato etc, I guess immigration now share too.

Most definately was told yesterday if you go overseas you need to inform them even if its for a weekend, that was info from the centerlink/medicare office.

I suppose if your on a visa type where you have never registered with centerlink/medicare you wouldnt need to bother.

Other people have posted about a similar experience after going overseas. I dont know if they send the letter at random or if everyone gets it, but I have my little pile now.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:01 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Same here, ours arrived before the old ones expired.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:50 am
ABCDiamond

When leaving the country, immigration may notify Centrelink of the event, and they may notify them when you return. However, it isn't guaranteed to work yet. It may be a newish system ?

So assume you leave for the weekend, and immigration notify, and Centrelink record you, as having left the country.

13 weeks later your FTB stops, because something went wrong and immigration didn't notify your return.
The customer will be all up in arms because NO payments are received by them, until it has all been checked.

The new system, whereby the customer has to do the notification, absolves Centrelink from that problem, which will not occur as the customer has confirmed his travel details.

Bottom line becomes: If you want this free money, you do as they request. If you don't, you run the risk of self inflicted problems, that can't have the blame passed on to someone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.