Wikiposts

rules!!

Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:48 pm
dazuk

Default rules!!

Anyone else here find all the rules, that are so keenly enforced in oz rather petty?

Like on trains with signs saying no drinking, cops make u pour away a beer thats been consumed on the street. The way that smoking is banned in restaurants and pubs serving food? Surely that should be down to the managements descretion?

Also the signs in pubs warning you and the owner of 1000,s of dollar worth of fines if u are intoxicated, which results in refusal of service when you arnt even half pissed!!!!

I found all these rules flew in the face of australia being laid back and relaxed, an absolute myth when compared to the freedoms and laid back nature of mainland europe, especially the med countries. Aus to me seemed a rather oppresive and conformist place.

Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:27 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rules!!

Originally posted by dazuk
Anyone else here find all the rules, that are so keenly enforced in oz rather petty?
I found all these rules flew in the face of australia being laid back and relaxed, an absolute myth when compared to the freedoms and laid back nature of mainland europe, especially the med countries. Aus to me seemed a rather oppresive and conformist place.
So move to mainland Europe then
Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:52 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Dazuk, I fail to see any negatives in your post, IMO these are all GOOD reasons for heading to OZ!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:07 am
tennisoz

Like on trains with signs saying no drinking, cops make u pour away a beer thats been consumed on the street. The way that smoking is banned in restaurants and pubs serving food? Surely that should be down to the managements descretion?

Also the signs in pubs warning you and the owner of 1000,s of dollar worth of fines if u are intoxicated, which results in refusal of service when you arnt even half pissed!!!!

Yeah, and when I was back in Melbourne I got nabbed for speeding - zero tolerance there - 7K's over in a 90 K's, $125 fine. I was applying the liberal 10% over plus 2 used in the UK. (Friend got booked for doing 52K's in a 50).

By the way I wholeheartedly agree with smoking bans, alcohol bans, enforcing speeding fines (even though they caught me). Don't see them as negatives as someone said. Why should you have to acquire lung cancer from passive smoking or put up with inebriated people in public places or people who think the speed limit is this so I will drive a little bit over etc.

Also, try running onto a sporting ground to streak or whatever - see what happens. It's a $5,000 fine for going onto the MCG I think.

Off thread but I laughed at the T Shirts in Singapore. Singapore's fine. $x fine for chewing, $x fine for ..., $x fine for ..... etc.

I only opened this incidentally because I thought it was about Aussie Rules

TennisOz

Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:23 am
:D

spigs is an unknown quantity at this point

"Also, try running onto a sporting ground to streak or whatever - see what happens. It's a $5,000 fine for going onto the MCG I think."

aww hell.. (tears up his recently acquired visa)
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:24 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by spigs

LOL!
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:04 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Personally, seeing people drinking in the steets and on public transport, smoking on the next table to me while I am still eating or trying to have a drink, or people in pubs being half pissed while I'm trying to have a quiet drink is exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to move away from. Some landlords in the UK, thesedays, would rather serve a drunk guy another beer than refuse him through fear of a mouthful of abuse. The police should step in more.

In South Africa, you get arrested for drinking in the street or if a guy is walking around with no t-shirt on. Listen and learn, UK.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

It's great that I can go out to dinner in a smoke-free zone. The downside of this law for me is that sometimes I would like to enjoy dining al fresco - but it means I could be dining next to smokers. The bottom line is that both smokers and non-smokers have rights and choices, and designated spaces which surely can't be fairer?.
Well, it's funny when people swear blind that they're not drunk...it usually takes a sober person to spot that they are. The 'I'm not drunk' person then wakes up the next day and realises just how drunk they actually were!!

I guess one person's restrictions are another person's freedoms.

To be honest, I havent noticed an excessive number of laws or restraints compared to UK (e.g. some cities have alochol bans I think)
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:51 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Depends......

I came from Singapore to here, and was expecting a "free country" .. if you know what I mean. In a way the rules here bode on the lines of Singapore in some respects ( although not half as bad).

Umm..
Suncorp ... no smoking, but my friend went there the other month.. and they were all smoking although it had a no smoking policy.

I'd love to write a few pages long about this but I have not the time.

I will sum it up.. you have less rights here than in Britain . it's like a half way mark between Britain and Singapore... (I can't count how many times the police have shot dead a person here ... carrying a knife) .

Now this is hard to explain.

P.s you are talking about a country where you must vote! lol

one of the reasons why don't take out citizenship. free ... no! You have more rights in Britain... check the womans right while you're at it too.. Australia was one of the only countries not to sign the bill

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 2nd 2003 at 3:56 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

Really DOES depend..

Governments and their political ideaology have a lot to do with this kind of thing.

Labour or Conservative ( Liberal ) have very differing views on signing UN Policies and treaties.

For instance - the Kyoto protocol on the Environment was signed by Blair but not by Howard. However it could just as easily have been signed by a labour government in Australia and not signed by a conservative government in England.

Swings and roundabouts really.

~Sean

Originally posted by Ceri
Depends......

I came from Singapore to here, and was expecting a "free country" .. if you know what I mean. In a way the rules here bode on the lines of Singapore in some respects ( although not half as bad).

Umm..
Suncorp ... no smoking, but my friend went there the other month.. and they were all smoking although it had a no smoking policy.

I'd love to write a few pages long about this but I have not the time.

I will sum it up.. you have less rights here than in Britain . it's like a half way mark between Britain and Singapore... (I can't count how many times the police have shot dead a person here ... carrying a knife) .

Now this is hard to explain.

P.s you are talking about a country where you must vote! lol

one of the reasons why don't take out citizenship. free ... no! You have more rights in Britain... check the womans right while you're at it too.. Australia was one of the only countries not to sign the bill

cheers
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 7:43 pm
Badge

Australia has more civic pride than the UK - don't take the notices too seriously as an indicator of laid "backness". If you don't want to vote, just spoil your paper - oops.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by spigs
"Also, try running onto a sporting ground to streak or whatever - see what happens. It's a $5,000 fine for going onto the MCG I think."

$5000 OH YEA That gut who ran on in the rugby and tackled the kicker was only fined 1200 dollars today.Pretty lucky I reckon.