Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rugby, Rugby, Rugby. World Cup 2003

Rugby, Rugby, Rugby. World Cup 2003

Old Oct 10th 2003, 12:56 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Rugby, Rugby, Rugby. World Cup 2003

It's here.... Oggie, Oggie, Oggie, Oi, Oi, Oi (no not Aussie, Aussie - thieving b*ggers! )

A thread dedicated to the Rugby cup as kick off is tonight. Predictions anyone?It will be interesting to see if anyone gets right at the end of the cup.
Tonight's game should be interesting. The Argies think they can win tonight's game with Aus(???) .. come on you Argies! (actually ,I hope the argies do not win - I've quarter finals to sell! Hoping that will be an Aus match) . Should be a rough game. Like meets like (dirty tactics) .. perhaps they will kill each other

Personally I think there will be an upset along the way.. I do not think it's going to be an English v Kiwi final. Whether it will come from France, S.Africa or one of the "lesser" teams ,who knows. I also don't think Australia will be in the final

France is out for the kill, they were on the news last night saying they can win this cup (well they did stop England's wining streak) and as for S.Africa - who knows? Apparently they have only ever lost one match in the W cups history (I can't remember the earlier cups - S.Africa couldn't have been in the first two cups to have that record)

My predictions for the groups
Group A - Australia will lose one match (they'll be runners up) .. I'll eat my words
Group B - predictable, France will win their group
Group C - S.Africa to win (I'll probably be totally wrong as England are favourites - but I think S.Africa will be in with a chance to win as nobody wants to play with N.Zealand in the quarters.. runner up will be playing N.Zealand.)
Group D - Very predictable, N.Zealand to win

Predictions for the finals - Wales v Scotland - lol.. I wish! well I can dream can't I ? .. at least give us that..lol "I have a dream"

Real Prediction - France to win ( I hope it will be on of the 6 nations teams.. I can't bring myself to support England.. goes against the grain - sorry )

Predictions anyone?
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:13 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I am sitting here in my New Zealand Shirt (hee hee) wasn't wasting my Clean Ireland Shirt on winding up the aussies I work with!!! Got to wear it tomorrow at the match

I am hoping the argies win tonight.....and lose to Ireland Later.

I have my fingers crossed Ireland get to the Quarters - sorry I have no belief Wales or Scotland can do it. I have my S African Shirt Ready to be able to support them against England (not seriously - it just winds my husband up)!

Real wishes are for Ireland, but if not then I think it will be New Zealand.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandra
I am sitting here in my New Zealand Shirt (hee hee) wasn't wasting my Clean Ireland Shirt on winding up the aussies I work with!!! Got to wear it tomorrow at the match

I have my fingers crossed Ireland get to the Quarters - sorry I have no belief Wales or Scotland can do it. I have my S African Shirt Ready to be able to support them against England (not seriously - it just winds my husband up)!

I hope Ireland do make a good show as northern hemisphere rugby is looked down on here. Still England is what I go for. They can win it but their mental preparation always lets them down. It took forever to get the grand slam.

As far as that France result goes the team that lost by a point may as well as been England reserves. England thrashed France in the follow up at Twickenham.

Bookies are rarely wrong and they have NZ favorites followed by England.

I just hope a northern hemisphere team wins.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Sandra

Wales are favourites (runner ups of pool D) to reach the quarters to meet England in quarter 4 .. we've got to beat Canada, Italy and Tonga... any other year I'd say it's a sure bet.. this year, who knows?. Sometimes they play great, other times they play like schoolboys. Well we did come close to beating you (ireland) in the 6 nations - there was only one point in it.

But totally agree with you Wales is not good enough to go all the way, best we can hope for is quarters (my head is saying this.. deep, deep down.. I hope all of you get injured and sent off.. final here we come .. lol )

Good luck.. Ireland is my second fav by force... I grew up with my mum shouting for Ireland to win (she's Irish), she only supports Wales after Ireland. Our house was such a happy home on match days..lol

I think S.Africa is the dark horse.

cheers
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven’t England won this already?

Scotland will fail to qualify after a surprise loss to Japan, Fiji or USA and despite a spirited come back in the last 5 minutes of the France game.

Several players will be sin-binned during the England-South Africa game.

Australia, finishing a disappointing second in their group after losing to Argentina in the opening game, will be knocked out by France in the Quarter Finals amidst calls by George Greagan of foul play and inconsistent refereeing decisions.

NZ to win against England in the final due to Wilkinson inexplicably missing several kicks.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 1:41 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by dracupg
Haven’t England won this already?

right boys lets all go home..lol we'll leave it to the all blacks and England

When S.Africa won the cup, they were not favourites, they were the underdogs - sometimes bookies do get it wrong.

I do not think it will be a Kiwi v English final.. gawd knows who it will be, but I'd like to put a bet on it that both these two will not be playing each other in the finals, one of them yes, both no.

Cheers
Old Oct 10th 2003, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Can’t see SA getting past NZ in the QFs. They would need to beat England in their group to get a QF against Wales which is why I think there will be a few sparks in the Eng-SA game.

If there is to be an upset, it will be there. SA are definitely capable of beating England and that would line up NZ against Eng in the QF. I see the Eng-SA game as probably the tournament decider.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 2:09 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

not that i give two hoots about rugby (though it's a million times better than league), but i'll be supporting both australia (my adopted country) and england. of course england will win it, but i only won't support the wallabies if/when they play england!
Old Oct 10th 2003, 2:20 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by brisnick
not that i give two hoots about rugby (though it's a million times better than league), but i'll be supporting both australia (my adopted country) and england. of course england will win it, but i only won't support the wallabies if/when they play england!
"sssss" I'm making a cross with my fingers... "evil I tells you" you're supporting the two teams I want any other team to beat...lol

Cheers
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:28 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I reeeally hope NZ win - they are due.

But I worry about their mental strength - especially if they meet England or France in the final.

I have a feeling if Australia get to the final they'll win, and the same with England. (unless of course they're both there in which case I would back Aussie).

Aust may not be the strongest at the moment - but Aussies have a knack of pulling stuff like this off. NZ, Aus and SA have more experience of playing in Australia too if that counts for anything

NZ really have to win. Oh pleeease NZ must win! Otherwise the success 1987 is going to haunt us for years to come.

Like the English football team and their world cup
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:38 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jandjuk

But I worry about their mental strength - especially if they meet England or France in the final.

I have a feeling if Australia get to the final they'll win, and the same with England. (unless of course they're both there in which case I would back Aussie).

Aust may not be the strongest at the moment - but Aussies have a knack of pulling stuff like this off. NZ, Aus and SA have more experience of playing in Australia too if that counts for anything

NZ really have to win. Oh pleeease NZ must win! Otherwise the success 1987 is going to haunt us for years to come.

My prediction is for England to win....but of course it would be!!

If England don't do it, id like it to be Ireland.

If Ireland don't do it, i fear it will be NZ or France.

As long as the aussies don't win (which they probably won't anyway) . I would never hear the end of it from the wife!!!
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:39 am

Originally posted by jandjuk

I get $80 in the work sweep stake if they do but I am still going for England
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:39 am
tennisoz

Default Re: Rugby, Rugby, Rugby. World Cup 2003

Originally posted by Ceri
It's here.... Oggie, Oggie, Oggie, Oi, Oi, Oi (no not Aussie, Aussie - thieving b*ggers! )
Predictions

Australia to beat Zimbabwe (cricket) . Matthew Hayden made 380 a test match record. I can hear the 'Poms' say it was only against Zimbabwe but I haven't noticed any of their players make such a score against them!

Australia to beat Spain (Davis Cup final).

Turkey to beat England on Saturday.

And for the Rugby, Australia have been playing poorly for a while and I don't think they will win it but you never know. If not Oz, NZ.

Just stirring!!

TennisOz

Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:42 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

When S.Africa won the cup, they were not favourites, they were the underdogs - sometimes bookies do get it wrong[QUOTE]

was actually alot of controversy over that final and what happened to New Zealand squad the night before (and they were favourites)!!!!!!investigation still comes up 8 years on

as regards this WC i think the bookies are right (NZ)but -an forgive me-would like to see france go far-when on song they play the most beautiful free flowing rugby.
once we see free flowing running rugby rather than catch and kick
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:44 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by seang
When S.Africa won the cup, they were not favourites, they were the underdogs - sometimes bookies do get it wrong

was actually alot of controversy over that final and what happened to New Zealand squad the night before (and they were favourites)!!!!!!investigation still comes up 8 years on

as regards this WC i think the bookies are right (NZ)but -an forgive me-would like to see france go far-when on song they play the most beautiful free flowing rugby.
once we see free flowing running rugby rather than catch and kick
The good thing about this England team is they can run and pass as well as do the dirty work. Ever hopeful but England tend to blow it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.