Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rugby - Anyone know the score

Rugby - Anyone know the score

Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rugby - Anyone know the score

Anybody know who won the 6 nations game betwwen England and Ireland at the weekend.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:48 pm
WBB

Default Re: Rugby - Anyone know the score

Originally posted by NJFOZ
Anybody know who won the 6 nations game betwwen England and Ireland at the weekend.
badgers has been quiet lately, maybe he could tell you.

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:04 am
joem

Eng 19 Ire 13, I think

joem

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by joem
Eng 19 Ire 13, I think

joem
Any Scots or Italians around?
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:18 am
Badge

Originally posted by joem
Eng 19 Ire 13, I think
joem
indeed!

the score also is that Clive Woodward should stop playing the wrong people eg. Balshaw, and the people he does play he plays them in the wrong position eg. Robinson and Hill. Robinson should be playing wing, maybe Fullback, his ex-league innate ablity to keep on to the ball after the tackle stands him in good stead- the centre experiment was good, ie. use his speed and acceleration off the mark to break the centre line, but he ended up acting as a scrum half. Hill is playing the wrong side of the scrum.

They also had a shocking lineout - commentators say Engand actually miss Johnson, (not Wilkinson as everybody has you believe - Grayson is playing well, and kicks as well as Wilkinson). Thompson's feeds were wayward, but Kay's(?) calls were also dodgy on a few occasions as the ball sailed over the heads of jumpers.

My view of the result is that Clive won the 2003 RWC and Gram Slam, and probably feels he can mess around now to develop depth. Personally, I'm in Australia now, and I'm pleased England got there last year; for me it ends a chapter.

Brian O'Discoll had a poor game so it was lucky for the English the score line flattered, although Cohen and Regan had 2 dissallowed tries. There has been debate of the call for Cohen here, between those who thing you are allowed to place a ball somewhere when you get tackled - you are of course, and those who felt it was a 'double movement' - of course you can't. I didn't see it myself so can't comment. Cohen should have reached out and scored, not tried to get up is the general consensus.

Of course, there is still a chance Ireland will lose to France (in France?!), Ireland only just beat France last year. This would blow the Championship wide open and anyone of Ireland, England and France could be in with a chance of the Championship - for what's it worth, Grand Slams are overrated. Looks like we have a championship on our hands!!

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Mar 9th 2004 at 5:12 am.

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe he is rebuilding the team. From what I understand from those who saw the game Ireland played very well and England were error prone and deserved to lose.

What excuses do the Scots have?
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:32 am
Badge

Originally posted by bondipom
I believe he is rebuilding the team. From what I understand from those who saw the game Ireland played very well and England were error prone and deserved to lose.

What excuses do the Scots have?
Can't speak for the Scots. They just don't have the players!

I gather from reports that Ireland were not without fault - particularly in the First Half, apparently BOD was average. But they pressurised the England scrum and lineout - at one point even taking a scrum when most teams would opt for a kick, and scored a blinding try. To cap that, they were fortunate Cohen or Regan didn't get in.

I'd like to see Ireland beat the French, but if they don't we will enjoy an interesting championship - just like 1999 when it all went down to points difference and Scotland took it!

Badge

Old Mar 9th 2004, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
indeed!

the score also is that Clive Woodward should stop playing the wrong people eg. Balshaw, and the people he does play he plays them in the wrong position eg. Robinson, Hill. Robinson should be playing wing, his ex league innate ablity to keep on to the ball after the tackle stands him in good stead- the centre experiment was a good, ie. use his speed and acceleration off the mark to break the centre line, but he ended up acting as a scrum half. Hill is playign the wrong side of the scrum.

They also had a shocking lineout - commentators say Engand actually miss Johnson, (not Wilkinson as everybody has you believe), Grayson is playing well, and kicks as well as Wilkinson. Thompson's feeds were wayward, but Kay's(?) calls were also dodgy on a few occasions

My view of the result is that Clive won the 2003 RWC and Gram Slam, and probably feels he can mess around now to develop depth. Personally, I'm in Australia now, and I'm pleased England got there last year; for me it ends a chapter.

Brian O'Discoll had a poor game so it was lucky for the English the score line flattered. Although Cohen and Regan had 2 dissallowed tries. There has been debate of the call for Cohen here, between those who thing you are allowed to place a ball somewhere when you get tackled - you are of course, and those who felt it was a 'double movement' - of course you can't. I didn't see it myself so can't comment. Cohen should have reached out and scored, not tried to get up is the general consensus.

Of course, there is still a chance Ireland will lose to France (in France?!), Ireland only just beat France last year. This would blow the Championship wide open and anyone of Ireland, England and France could be in with a chance of the Championship - for what's it worth, Grand Slams are overrated. Looks like we have a championship on our hands!!

Badge

Thanks for the report. I have just found this website http://www.rbs6nations.com which is good for keeping up with the news.

Have been in Oz for 7 months now and watching the 6 nations is the only thing I miss. Grew up with it and while S12's RWC etc are all great they don't have the same grip on me.

When it comes to rugby I'll always be Irish first !!!!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 5:27 am
Badge

spot the deliberate mistake - Ireland have ALREADY lost to France, so England need to beat both France and Wales comprehensively to win the Championship...

looks like Woodward will stop playing around now with the players..

Badge