RSL clubs

Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:22 am
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough
Default RSL clubs

A few questions for anyone on here who has been to their local RSL club.

Is an RSL club similar to a British Legion / working mens' club in the UK?
Do you have to be a member to drink in a club?
Are children welcome in clubs?
What's better, a local hotel or a RSL club?
Do RSL clubs do cheaper beer and food than hotels?

Thanks
Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RSL clubs

Originally Posted by Carl B

Thanks
1. I don't know, having never been to a British Legion or working mans club in the UK , but Dagboy has said they are at least similar in concept.
2. you need to be a member if you live locally, or be signed in by a member. You can visit as a guest (& not know anyone) if you live more than a certain distance from the club (might be 30kms?). Howver if you are a member of 1 RSL club, you have reciprocal rights in all the others (plus some other clubs like soccer, rugby, depending on which local clubs give reciprocal rights)
3. Yes, in general kids are welcome in RSLs as long as they are kept away from the pokie area & the general bar. One we used to belong to had a kids club where the kids had their own room full of games/toys etc where you could drop them for up to 2 hrs while you ate in peace.
4. Definitely depends on what you are looking for! Pubs are generally alot more personable.
5. RSLs are usually far cheaper for drinks & food than anywhere else. The food is not always cordonbleau, but its usually cheap & drinks are often half that of city bar prices.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:02 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
RSL clubs and other similar clubs like bowling clubs do have memberships and they cost about $5 for the year.
You can enter a club as a non member but you have to sign in. The signing in is required by law because these clubs have "pokie" (gaming machines) and the requirement is that you give your details.
If you live within a certain mileage from the club I believe you have to become a member and as such drinks are cheaper.
Children are allowed in clubs and many actually put on monthly discos for the kids which are free and in a seperate area from the main bars.
The clubs I have been to are all very clean, friendly and do very reasonable food.
The Pokies are in a seperate area from the seating areas which is a good thing since the clubs have quite a lot of machines. Gamblers can hide away, and other social drinkers dont have to listen to the annoying noise they make !
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

The RSL (Return Serviceman League) Is run in a similar way to all the Labour ,Conservative, and Liberal clubs in the UK. It is also very similar to the workings of a British Legion Club. Yes children are allowed in but rules apply and probably vary between different clubs. No you dont have to be a member to drink in the club, but you will need a member to sign you in or alternativley ask for membership. If you are ex services you will get full membership (allowing you to vote come general meeting). wifes and girlfriends are also allowed to join as a social member. The prices in The RSLs are generally cheaper and if you are a member cheaper still.
You may be surprised on your first visit if the lights dim and the music stops as everyone around you stands up!!!! Please do like wise, stand up and remember those who gave thier lives.
LEST WE FORGET
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

cresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Carl B]A few questions for anyone on here who has been to their local RSL club.[QUOTE]

RSL clubs are the equivelent of the RBL clubs in the U.K
You have to be a member to buy takeaway but you can get another member to sign you in, if you live further out than 40 k you don't have to become a member. Also if your a member of one you are a reciprical member of all the RSL clubs.
Yes children are most welcome in RSL clubs they aren't allowed in the Pokie rooms though.
The RSL clubs are better than the local Pub/hotels IMO as there are often stricter dress codes and more comfortable seating in the RSL clubs this disuades the yobbo element from entering and when I'm out with my Dad I like to have a quiet pint or two and a few frames without a blaring jukebox and drunks falling around me.
I Play Snooker with my dad every Thursday at our local RSL the beer is a lot cheaper than any of the other pubs and hotels in the area providing you show your membership card when buying them. Food in ours is excellent quality Deb works in the local country club on Thursdays so I sometimes grab a meal before we play snooker I've never had a bad one and prices are very reasonable with most meals being between $10 & $20 dollars.

Doh! Deb left herself signed on
Sean
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:20 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Hi,

I am a RSL member in Victoria.

RSL clubs vary from tin sheds where the old boys have a fridge full of beer, usually very reasonably priced at about $2/$3 a pop to places such as the RSL in Dubbo which is a huge complex.

As other posters have stated you only have to be a member if you live locally however if you do gain membership, some clubs have a members only bar with such bonuses as discounted drinks and free pool tables etc.

Children are generally welcome except in poker machine areas, however if you think of visiting these areas you may as well just throw your money in the bin as soon as you walk through the door.

Local hotel vs RSL.... It's difficult to answer this one as it depends on the standard of your local pub/hotel. RSL drinks/food are generally cheaper but if you like the gee-gees your local hotel may have a pub tab where as RSLs don't.

NJJ
Old Oct 9th 2005, 4:50 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

What's the criteria for becoming a member of the RSL? Do you have to have immediate family who were in the forces?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 6:29 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraliz
What's the criteria for becoming a member of the RSL? Do you have to have immediate family who were in the forces?
No, anyone can join a club (at least in nsw)
Old Oct 9th 2005, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

They vary widely, for instance, in my locality here in the Northern Subs of Melbourne, We have a real old time, as in late 1950s early 60s style of RSL in Coburg as they never took on pokie machines, when they first got offered them. This resulted in the club just about going broke. They love visitors there, but it's a bit like walking into a morgue.

On the other side of the Coin, there is Glenroy RSL, packed to the rafters with pokies, massive car-park that is always full, cheap meals, Lively, young, etc etc one has to be signed in to go into that one.

Before the Pokies came to Victoria, people from Melbourne, would take a pilgrimage type of trip across the Murray, into NSW, to play the pokies, and take advantage of the cheap meals, whilst staying at riverside places along the Murray.

I always seemed to have heaps of trouble getting into these places. I've got no idea how, but it was like an allergic reaction. We would spend a minimum of 2.1/2 hours going to the closest at Echuca (or even 6 hours plus for places like Mildura) Where I would be confronted with a heavy handed doorman, who would always single me out, of a large group on dress code, or perhaps sometimes I may have had a tinny or two on the way up. Consequently I'm not too enamoured with the NSW RSL clubs.

I've never had trouble getting in anywhere else, Ti's a bit weird, being able to stroll into the Hilton in London, but getting barred at the door at Wagga Wagga RSL.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 4:56 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

RSL's are GREAT!! Just remember not to wear thongs..there is a slight dress code!

I joined the RSL in North Sydney for $10 a year..they have a great gym, swimming pool, sauna etc etc..food is great too.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:16 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraliz

To become an affiliated member you have to have an actual RSL member nominate you for membership IIRC.