Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RPL - any advice?

RPL - any advice?

Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:51 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default RPL - any advice?

Hi

Just starting out on the rocky road of the RPL!!

If there are any kind people out there who could give us a starter for ten, we'd be most appreciative.

We know we've got to go into the most minutest detail of work experience etc but exactly how minute are we talking? Is it in the format of a CV but more detailed? And do we get as many references as we can? How long (generally) does it take to correlate all the info?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

D D
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPL - any advice?

Originally posted by DollyDaydream
Hi

Just starting out on the rocky road of the RPL!!

If there are any kind people out there who could give us a starter for ten, we'd be most appreciative.

We know we've got to go into the most minutest detail of work experience etc but exactly how minute are we talking? Is it in the format of a CV but more detailed? And do we get as many references as we can? How long (generally) does it take to correlate all the info?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

D D
DD, do a search on here and the Immigration forums, I've seen a bit of good advice. It's not really like a CV at all, you have to really talk yourself up. "While heading up Project X for Company Y, I learned all about Technique Z, including the use of this tool and that method". I hope that makes some kind of sense
You have to go into serious detail (my RPL in total was 16,000 words ). Of course mine was rejected but it was due to a lack of experience (according to them my previous job was not relevant).
Tell them how you learned the techniques you use and have used. If you have done MCSE, CNE, CCIE, then tell them how you applied what you learned in the classroom into your job. Tell them that you know all about PRINCE2, how you learned it and how you apply it.
Really it seems very daunting at the off but once you get a flow going you can really run away with yourself.
I started by going through the list of topics / sub-topics in the CBOK and making a small note of each item that I knew something about, then went back and expanded on it. The key thing is about what you have learned and how you apply it, rather than just what you know.
My experience is very varied so I wrote something for every topic. Some topics I wrote 1,500 words, others 400 but I tried to show an understanding of each. Some people have been accepted when only writing about 7 or 8 topics, I guess so long as you show you know your stuff, that must be enough.
Feel free to PM / Email me if you have any specific questions and I'll try my best to answer.

Good luck!
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:22 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wmoore
DD, do a search on here and the Immigration forums, I've seen a bit of good advice. It's not really like a CV at all, you have to really talk yourself up. "While heading up Project X for Company Y, I learned all about Technique Z, including the use of this tool and that method". I hope that makes some kind of sense
You have to go into serious detail (my RPL in total was 16,000 words ). Of course mine was rejected but it was due to a lack of experience (according to them my previous job was not relevant).
Tell them how you learned the techniques you use and have used. If you have done MCSE, CNE, CCIE, then tell them how you applied what you learned in the classroom into your job. Tell them that you know all about PRINCE2, how you learned it and how you apply it.
Really it seems very daunting at the off but once you get a flow going you can really run away with yourself.
I started by going through the list of topics / sub-topics in the CBOK and making a small note of each item that I knew something about, then went back and expanded on it. The key thing is about what you have learned and how you apply it, rather than just what you know.
My experience is very varied so I wrote something for every topic. Some topics I wrote 1,500 words, others 400 but I tried to show an understanding of each. Some people have been accepted when only writing about 7 or 8 topics, I guess so long as you show you know your stuff, that must be enough.
Feel free to PM / Email me if you have any specific questions and I'll try my best to answer.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for that I may well take you up on your kind offer of a PM! And yes, it does seem very daunting.... :scared:

D D
Old Jun 29th 2004, 10:21 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by wmoore
The key thing is about what you have learned and how you apply it, rather than just what you know.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

And yes it is a long slog but at the end you have an excellent reference work to use when applying for jobs or in interviews. In fact, come to think of it, it's a bit like interviewing yourself. "So tell me, Ms Daydream, just why should we employ you / let you into the country..."