Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

royal navy to ran

royal navy to ran

Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all
Smile royal navy to ran

Hi

My partner is in the Royal Navy and we are gathering all documents together to apply to transfer to Ran. He is a POCSM based in Plymouth on a nuclear submarine, and he has 7 years service left until his 22 years, he was previously in the British Army for 6 years doing the same job.

Is there anyone who has transferred via Ran directly and who can offer us advice/guidance on the process of applying.

Just joined, and finding threads/posts very useful for info.

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: royal navy to ran

You should find a few people on here - there are loads of ex-RN now in RAN, as well as Army to Army transferees.

Process takes about a year, so it may be a bit early to apply yet...

HTH
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Hiya

We have just sent of for our visa's and my husband is joining the RAN. We are hoping to go the first week of November. I will be more than happy to try and answer any questions you have
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Just wondering are you looking at joining the RAN now or when he has completed his 22 years?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all

He wants to put in his application now, we realise he will lose some of his pension but you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

If you can advise us in any way it will be much appreciated,

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

OddsandSods is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Has your OH seen this month's Navy News? There is a full page advert by the RAN which contains details of how to apply. I am leaving the RN to join the Aus Army - we fly out in September. Will be happy to answer any questions on what we did although it will be slightly different.

Last edited by OddsandSods; Jun 28th 2007 at 2:29 pm. Reason: Pressed wrong message quote button! D'oh!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

No, he hasn't seen it as he is on a course at Collingwood at the mo. He e.mailed RAN direct and they have asked him to send in all Navy docs, appraisals, CV etc. He is home weekends, but we want to put in as much information of what he has done in the Army and Navy as poss.

I presume if he is accepted I would be able to go with him as we are not married, but we live together and have 3 houses in joint names? Also I am 51 (young looking) and he is 37 (lucky me), will my age be a problem?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by handbagmad
No, he hasn't seen it as he is on a course at Collingwood at the mo. He e.mailed RAN direct and they have asked him to send in all Navy docs, appraisals, CV etc. He is home weekends, but we want to put in as much information of what he has done in the Army and Navy as poss.

I presume if he is accepted I would be able to go with him as we are not married, but we live together and have 3 houses in joint names? Also I am 51 (young looking) and he is 37 (lucky me), will my age be a problem?
Hiya!

If Accepted - a job offer will come from RAN - then they will apply to immigration for a Labour Agreement. That's when the Immigration process starts - All of the contact we have had so far, reflects that the applicant (Hubbie) is the one going for the job - he's the one been assessed - he's the main applicant, so I would assume that the age of his dependants is irrelevant! Don't quote me on this, but it shouldn't be an issue as far as I undestand it.

Best of Luck!!

We too are in Plymouth - but only for another 9 weeks!!!! Hubbie transferring to RAN - Leaves RN 31st August and signs at Australia House 3rd September!!

Angie
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

That is what the Oz Army did for me. They asked for a letter requesting to join accompanied by a CV and copies of my last 3 CRs. After processing that (and an interview) they sent me the 'application pack' which consisted of a whole bunch of forms including medicals, vetting, background, family, police checks etc. Once all that was processed, I received a formal job offer and then was invited to apply for a PR visa for all of the family (good news here is it is sponsored and so only took 3 weeks from submission of forms to grant). We are now in the middle of the removal to Oz paperwork and fly out in Sept.

That's very much an outline, suffice to say it's a lot of paperwork and it has taken about 15 months from start to finish - average is about 12-18 months. PM us if you like for some more details. I reckon the RAN system should be fairly similar.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

hazel123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

We too are in process of applying to RAN. Initial application posted last July followed by main application at beginning of March (this one was with medical,eye test, discharge papers etc), and as yet no reply. Have emailed Penny Hall asking for update and she advised it normally takes 4 months from receipt of main application for job offer to be recd. Seems to be a never ending process!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nev_n_angie
Hiya!

If Accepted - a job offer will come from RAN - then they will apply to immigration for a Labour Agreement. That's when the Immigration process starts - All of the contact we have had so far, reflects that the applicant (Hubbie) is the one going for the job - he's the one been assessed - he's the main applicant, so I would assume that the age of his dependants is irrelevant! Don't quote me on this, but it shouldn't be an issue as far as I undestand it.

Best of Luck!!

We too are in Plymouth - but only for another 9 weeks!!!! Hubbie transferring to RAN - Leaves RN 31st August and signs at Australia House 3rd September!!

Angie
Hey guys! Just read your post. I am leaving RN on 31 Aug and we will also be at Australia House on 3rd Sep!! See you there!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looks like a party at Australia House on the 3rd September Angie!!!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to you all for your advice. It seems to be we supply all the paperwork and let RAN do the work. We are aware that if accepted it will take approx 18 months, any sooner and it's a bonus!

Have a drink for me at the party at Australia House on the 3 Sept! Hopefully we may get to have our own party there one day!!!:
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just remember to keep all of your receipts. Anything that you have to post to them etc keep everything so that they can reinburse you later
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

nev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to allnev_n_angie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by OddsandSods
Hey guys! Just read your post. I am leaving RN on 31 Aug and we will also be at Australia House on 3rd Sep!! See you there!
Hiya

Which Branch are you in??!!!!!!!

Hubbie on Resettlement Leave at the moment and really 'enjoying' the weather!!!!!!!!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy - you can come up too and wave us off if you like!!! LOL

You'll be joining us shortly afterwards - we'll all start to talk with an Aussie twang then!! ?? £$%&*!!

Me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.