Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Royal Australian Navy Question

Royal Australian Navy Question

Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:04 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Royal Australian Navy Question

So Jamie is there?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:55 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seaangel
Have to disagree with you there! Been in Pucka nearly 3 years and certainly haven't found what you say to be the case.
Ok, you are more qualified than me to have an assessment on Pucka, but please, tell my uninformed ears what is good about the place? I honestly thought it was awful and would not like to willingly bring my family there.
I also remember the saying 'no one is going to admit they live in a sh!thole by choice'!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

swanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the roughswanny is a jewel in the rough

Thank you so much for all your replies everyone
It's taken me a while to get back on here and read through all the info given (waited 18 mths to sell house and its finally happened, so things have really been busy in the last couple of days - Australia bound by the end of the year if all goes well )

Your advice is very helpful except it all seems to be regards the tech trades in the RN, my partner was a LWTR, for his sins ha ha!! Although he is willing to retrain. Is the RAN likely to consider this trade? As the 5 year rule is slowly coming to its end for him and needs to get the ball rolling.

There have been some great suggestions in the above replies so we will check those and the links next.

Thanks again to you all.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by swanny
Thank you so much for all your replies everyone
It's taken me a while to get back on here and read through all the info given (waited 18 mths to sell house and its finally happened, so things have really been busy in the last couple of days - Australia bound by the end of the year if all goes well )

Your advice is very helpful except it all seems to be regards the tech trades in the RN, my partner was a LWTR, for his sins ha ha!! Although he is willing to retrain. Is the RAN likely to consider this trade? As the 5 year rule is slowly coming to its end for him and needs to get the ball rolling.

There have been some great suggestions in the above replies so we will check those and the links next.

Thanks again to you all.
If your OH is willing to consider being a submariner, my feeling is that the RAN would be interested - whichever branch he was in, or was interested in - good luck.

Scot.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:39 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Don't know if you're still keeping tabs on this thread but I sent an expression of interest off in January and they are basically looking for any tech submariners. As a WE skimmer they weren't interested!

Paddyo did you have any snags with the SC side of working in the Aussie defence industry? all the jobs i've researched ask for aussie citizenship in order to gain an SC?

Thought i'd sorted my career path out perfectly for the RAN with an LPD and next up a T45 but apparently not

any gen on the best Aussie defence companies gratefully received.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:16 pm
Him/her n the sea

krashpoet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Hi all,
Don't know if you're still keeping tabs on this thread but I sent an expression of interest off in January and they are basically looking for any tech submariners. As a WE skimmer they weren't interested!

Paddyo did you have any snags with the SC side of working in the Aussie defence industry? all the jobs i've researched ask for aussie citizenship in order to gain an SC?

Thought i'd sorted my career path out perfectly for the RAN with an LPD and next up a T45 but apparently not

Hi , did you get any success about finding out any companies in defense ?
we are in the same boat as you , Hubby is POET & the year we decide it was time to go RAN his job not on the list lol ( gutted ) .
Kind regards
kp
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:23 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krashpoet
Hi , did you get any success about finding out any companies in defense ?
we are in the same boat as you , Hubby is POET & the year we decide it was time to go RAN his job not on the list lol ( gutted ) .
Kind regards
kp
Plenty of companies, ranging from Thales, Raytheon to BAe and ASC. Same snag with them all i.e. they require Oz citizenship for security clearance

Apparently there is a 6 month window after leaving the mob where they can apply for your UK clearance to be transfered. I imagine you'd need to have a specific in demand skill for them to go to the trouble.

How long left to do and how far down the visa path are you? Personally I'm going to bug the RAN again in the new year and again when my notice goes in

good luck and PM me if you need anymore info.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:48 pm
Him/her n the sea

Plenty of companies, ranging from Thales, Raytheon to BAe and ASC. Same snag with them all i.e. they require Oz citizenship for security clearance

Apparently there is a 6 month window after leaving the mob where they can apply for your UK clearance to be transfered. I imagine you'd need to have a specific in demand skill for them to go to the trouble.

How long left to do and how far down the visa path are you? Personally I'm going to bug the RAN again in the new year and again when my notice goes in

good luck and PM me if you need anymore info.
Hiya ,
edp is soon . Well we started 175 visa but because they took the Modl off , we haven't got enough points .
So just waiting now to see what the oz gov pulls out of their hat lol . We spoke to terry george again last night no change on the list
Thanks for replying
Will keep in contact lol and probably pick yr brains
Kp
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:56 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by krashpoet
Hiya ,
edp is soon . Well we started 175 visa but because they took the Modl off , we haven't got enough points .
So just waiting now to see what the oz gov pulls out of their hat lol . We spoke to terry george again last night no change on the list
Thanks for replying
Will keep in contact lol and probably pick yr brains
Kp
No probs,

If short of points looks like SMP then. If they ever release them
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:00 pm
Him/her n the sea

No probs,

If short of points looks like SMP then. If they ever release them
YER looks like thats the way we will be going at some point in the future
Good look with yr visa !!
We been advised to do our application for the TRA ( electrician (special class) so keeping busy doing that when hubby flits in and out of plymouth lol

Thanks AGAIN
KP
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:35 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

So does the ADF
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recrui...n/citizenship/
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:07 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Sorry mate I must of missed this one. I had a full DV when in mob and then after a while it got downgraded to SC (no requirement for DV). When I came here it was as part of a secondment with Thales and all we had to do was send my clearance info from the UK Clearance team (DVA) to the Oz clearance team (DSA). My clearance is valid for all materials up to a certain level and I even have a direct line to the Oz DSA if there are any snags with recognising it!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:49 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by paddyo
Sorry mate I must of missed this one. I had a full DV when in mob and then after a while it got downgraded to SC (no requirement for DV). When I came here it was as part of a secondment with Thales and all we had to do was send my clearance info from the UK Clearance team (DVA) to the Oz clearance team (DSA). My clearance is valid for all materials up to a certain level and I even have a direct line to the Oz DSA if there are any snags with recognising it!
Cheers mate,

Getting an in with a UK company first is one of the plansand I believe Thales are looking for someone at the mo over here. Shame I've gotjust under 2 years left

My DV also about to half expire (not needed for current non-job but with 2 years still left). DVA also just changed names, no shock there, must need new business cards

Mind if I ask how Oz pay compares to UK pay? Thales here currently offering 1.5 times avg salary (40k).

Still going to bug the RAN though, quite fancy the business class fares over with shipping paid for
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:31 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Cheers mate,

Getting an in with a UK company first is one of the plansand I believe Thales are looking for someone at the mo over here. Shame I've gotjust under 2 years left

My DV also about to half expire (not needed for current non-job but with 2 years still left). DVA also just changed names, no shock there, must need new business cards

Mind if I ask how Oz pay compares to UK pay? Thales here currently offering 1.5 times avg salary (40k).

Still going to bug the RAN though, quite fancy the business class fares over with shipping paid for
What Oz pay?? Do you mean Thales??
It all depends on your skills and what career structure you are on. I am fairly unique (for that read I blagged it!!) and on a decent salary, was higher than current UK average when I left UK in 2008 and on a good one here plus the Tax incentives as a Temp Resident.
The trick to working with a defence company is to look ahead of the skills you are being employed for, i.e. add more strings to your bow ASAP because if the project or program using your skill finishes then you will be out.
I was meeting up with some ex FAA oppos the weekend just gone and new ones have arrived recently, so the door is open for the right trades.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:10 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by paddyo
What Oz pay?? Do you mean Thales??
It all depends on your skills and what career structure you are on. I am fairly unique (for that read I blagged it!!) and on a decent salary, was higher than current UK average when I left UK in 2008 and on a good one here plus the Tax incentives as a Temp Resident.
The trick to working with a defence company is to look ahead of the skills you are being employed for, i.e. add more strings to your bow ASAP because if the project or program using your skill finishes then you will be out.
I was meeting up with some ex FAA oppos the weekend just gone and new ones have arrived recently, so the door is open for the right trades.
Yup meant Thales

Blagged it?, never would have thought a matelot would do such a thing

Prefer permanent to temp visa and have planned in my ELC courses already to add extra quals

Typically the RAN don't want us skimmer WE's, obviously not enough zeds left in their pits

Cheers for the info, clearly not all bad even for a wafu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.