Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Route planner for Nz

Route planner for Nz

Old Jul 14th 2003, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Route planner for Nz

Can anyone recommend sites to plan routes in Nz we will be arriving in Christchurch (can anyone recommend a hotel here too?) and driving to Nelson, I have found one site wises maps but wondered if anyone could recomend any others.

Thanks Tori
Old Jul 14th 2003, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

chris@insurance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Route planner for Nz

Originally posted by TIZUS
Can anyone recommend sites to plan routes in Nz we will be arriving in Christchurch (can anyone recommend a hotel here too?) and driving to Nelson, I have found one site wises maps but wondered if anyone could recomend any others.

Thanks Tori
Hi Tori,

I'm not aware of any websites that allow online routemaking(like MAPQUEST) for NZ..the only thing I could find was this:

http://www.backpack-newzealand.com/m...uthisland.html

I've traveled quite a bit throughout the South Island(I live in Christchurch)...including several "laps"....if I can be of any assistance I'd be happy to help. At the very least I could give you an idea of "real-world" point to point travel time.

As far as a place to stay.....there's a wide range of accommodation...ranging from very inexpensive backpackers to quite flash hotels....if you could give me an idea of the type of accommodation you're looking for I could email some options.

Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Cheers,
Old Jul 14th 2003, 11:53 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Tori,

You basically have a choice of 2 direct routes from ChCh to Nelson, and 1 indirect one.

Direct routes:
a) Through the mountains - north on SH1 to Waipara, turn left and go up through Lewis pass to Murchison and then on to Nelson. You will hit Richmond about 10miles after hitting the flat. This is my favourite route, the mountains and forests will be unlike anything you have seen, unless youv'e been to Canada recently. There will be snow on the tops at this time of year. But check the weather and that the passes are all open before setting off.

Look out for: Waipara vineyards, Hamner Springs thermal resort (worth a night if you have time), Maruia Springs Hotel (call in for a beer, and soak your feet in the hotpools).

A possible detour is to Nelson Lakes National Park at Lake Rotoiti (about Murchison).

b) By the sea - north on SH1 to Blenheim, then west over some mountains to Nelson. You will arrive firstly in Nelson city, before then driving 10-15 min to Richmond (Drive out via the Port/Tahunanui Beach - rather than via the hospital).

This route will not be closed by snow or weather.

Look out for: Waipara vineyards again, Kaikoura (do some whale watching, but book a day ahead), the crayfish shacks along the rugged Kaikoura coast, Blenheim (NZ's best known wine area).
If you have time, do a quick detour to Picton from Blenheim, and then cut through on Queen Charlotte drive from Picton to Havelock. This has very stunning scenery.

Both direct routes are about 5 hours driving, so can be done easily in a day with a few stopoffs, or can be taken more leisurely.

Indirect route:
Go directly west of Christchuch to the Arthurs Pass National Park. Again check weather forecast. Continue to West Coast, stay at Hokitika or Westport (the West Coast is a bit unique in NZ, they are really isolated - which is saying something in NZ). Drive north up the Buller Gorge to Murchison and on to Nelson.

Hope the above helps. Let me know if you think you want to Tour around a bit more. Places like Akaroa, Tekapo, Mt Cook, Wanaka and Queenstown might be of interest if you have a few more days.

ps. my dad has just got some work lined up with a rich American building a property at a place called Tasman (about 15miles from Richmond on the way to Motueka). Is this the same guy you have lined up for your first job?
Old Jul 14th 2003, 11:56 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I also am not aware of a route planner as such. The NZ AA has a website, but it does not as I recall allow you to put in A and B and come up with a detailed route.

It is really easy to navigate around NZ, and if in doubt pull over and ask somebody. In most situations there is only 1 way to get from A to B, and a basic road atlas will do the trick nicely. ChCh to Nelson is one of the exceptions.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are so looking forward to this drive the guys we are renting from recommended stopping at Hamner Springs too. Not sure which area Ian's first project is in but will find out.
Tori
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Carpenter is an unknown quantity at this point

We are so looking forward to this drive the guys we are renting from recommended stopping at Hamner Springs too. Not sure which area Ian's first project is in but will find out.
Tori
Try http://www.wises.co.nz/ I've used the maps and they are good but have not tried the diretions yet

Cheers

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Howdy! - Don
Old Jul 14th 2003, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Howdy! - Don
Hey Don - how's it going?

Is this just a passing visit?
Old Jul 14th 2003, 7:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gra, guess I'll pop in if I'm not accused of being some kind of monster!!!

must slip off...
Old Jul 14th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Hi Gra, guess I'll pop in if I'm not accused of being some kind of monster!!!

must slip off...
Don't worry, I'm sure you've been called worse!

When are you off to NZ, is it this year? Can't remember!

Gra..
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't seem to get a "proper" URL, but hopefully this should work...

http://203.110.143.172/scripts/hsrun...=HS_SearchPage

It's called "Smart Trip", and is fairly self explanatory!

Hope that helps.

Nicola.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tori
If you ever get to NZ House again, go round the side of the building and along Pall Mall (I think), there's an arcade behind NZ House that has a Kiwi shop (Kiwi Fruits, or something like that). It has lots of Kiwi stuff, including books and maps. I got a Wises Travel Atlas from there. It's a spiral bound book with lots of detail of every part of NZ, some parts in increasing detail.

In NZ House itself, there's a small information section, turn left, just down the stairs past (and in front of) reception. You'll find lots of stuff, including a few accommodation booklets. I got Jason's Motels, and the AA Where to Stay Guide. Both are 2003 editions and packed with great value accommodation. You can also find recent newspapers there.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by southerner
You basically have a choice of 2 direct routes from ChCh to Nelson, and 1 indirect one.

Direct routes:
a) Through the mountains - north on SH1 to Waipara, turn left and go up through Lewis pass to Murchison and then on to Nelson. You will hit Richmond about 10miles after hitting the flat. This is my favourite route, the mountains and forests will be unlike anything you have seen, unless youv'e been to Canada recently. There will be snow on the tops at this time of year. But check the weather and that the passes are all open before setting off.

Look out for: Waipara vineyards, Hamner Springs thermal resort (worth a night if you have time), Maruia Springs Hotel (call in for a beer, and soak your feet in the hotpools).

A possible detour is to Nelson Lakes National Park at Lake Rotoiti (about Murchison).

b) By the sea - north on SH1 to Blenheim, then west over some mountains to Nelson. You will arrive firstly in Nelson city, before then driving 10-15 min to Richmond (Drive out via the Port/Tahunanui Beach - rather than via the hospital).

This route will not be closed by snow or weather.

Look out for: Waipara vineyards again, Kaikoura (do some whale watching, but book a day ahead), the crayfish shacks along the rugged Kaikoura coast, Blenheim (NZ's best known wine area).
If you have time, do a quick detour to Picton from Blenheim, and then cut through on Queen Charlotte drive from Picton to Havelock. This has very stunning scenery.

Both direct routes are about 5 hours driving, so can be done easily in a day with a few stopoffs, or can be taken more leisurely.
We're heading to the South Island for a 2-week holiday in September, taking a combination of routes (a) and (b) described by southerner. (Maybe one day we'll get to the North Island, but for now there's too much we want to see down south!) Last time we based ourselves in C'ch, and this time we plan to do a round trip from Nelson, down the coast to Kaikoura, across to Hanmer Springs/Maruia Springs, then up to Nelson Lakes before spending a few days exploring Abel-Tasman NP.

We've read all the stuff about Nelson being the sunniest place in NZ, but is it likely to be still pretty cold over there in September?

Cheers,
John
Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:10 am
Here in Dunedin

John

I used to spend August university holidays in the Nelson area, and the weather was typically fine. Might be a frost or two in the mornings, but then you get these marvellous clear days.

Nelson is the sun capital of NZ, and where it has it all over other NZ places is in the winter sunshine hours.

So I would expect September to be a pretty good time to travel. Take a fleece and a woolly hat each in case, the weather in all parts of NZ can be unpredictable.

I love driving through the mountains with a blue sky and snow on the tops.

Enjoy your trip

ps if your'e into skiing, Mt Hutt near Christchurch is a great field, and will be well open then.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by southerner
John

I used to spend August university holidays in the Nelson area, and the weather was typically fine. Might be a frost or two in the mornings, but then you get these marvellous clear days.

Nelson is the sun capital of NZ, and where it has it all over other NZ places is in the winter sunshine hours.

So I would expect September to be a pretty good time to travel. Take a fleece and a woolly hat each in case, the weather in all parts of NZ can be unpredictable.

I love driving through the mountains with a blue sky and snow on the tops.

Enjoy your trip

The more you tell us about Nelosn the more I'm sure we have made the right choice thankyou for all your insights in to Nz
Tori

ps if your'e into skiing, Mt Hutt near Christchurch is a great field, and will be well open then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.